Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

May be moving to Sligo - Advise on Primary schools, towns to live in

Options
  • 18-05-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

So my work may see me relocated to Sligo shortly. I have 2 primary aged kids. There is one outstanding issue that I am nervous about (schools) and 1 issue that is exciting (abundance of nice towns). All helpful tips on either/both would be great.

- Myself and my wife are anxious about schools. Our kids attend an ETNS. I am not comfortable sending my kids to a school where the local priest is chair of the board of management. This seems to be the case with almost all of the schools in Sligo county. (I respect people's beliefs but really don't want to participate). Any tips on this would be a major help. Secondary school doesn't seem like it'll be as much hassle when the time comes. Can anyone suggest a primary school?

- Excited about locations around sligo, but at the same time, schools are holding us back. I am in my early 30's. I don't care about nightclubs or a mad night scene and prefer an old style pub. I value the seaside, mountains trails, a bit of hiking, forest parks etc, but in our choosing location I heavily rate the importance of the seaside. I suppose in Sligo it's always close enough though. Can anyone suggest a town?

Some info to consider: I'm Irish, lived abroad for a few years but have been back in Ireland a good while. My wife is from abroad. Fits in well but likes an open minded or friendly bunch of people. Wouldn't be looking to move again any time soon. We have lived all over and spent a year in Donegal so I know whats up. A 3 bed bungalow in the countryside north of the town seems like a good option in years to come? Thoughts? Just looking for a nice quite life really.

Any help, suggestions on the above would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

You might be moving to the best little county there is :)

There's an Educate Together school in Sligo town (St. Annes/Garavogue area). It has a pretty good reputation, would look into it myself if we lived in town.
    There's also a Gaelscoil in Sligo, as far as I'm aware it's non-denominational but I'm open to correction on that.

As far as towns to live it, let's start with the hip and funky Strandhill! Close to Sligo town (10 min drive), teeming with young families, on the sea, surf village, few great restaurants and pubs. Very expensive though.

Rosses Point.
    Has a reputation of being a bit snobby, but honestly isn't. It's a maritime village, quieter and less 'cool' than Strandhill, but a good solid, beautiful little village. Great pubs and restaurants again, and great community things going on.

Carney.
    15 mins north of Sligo. Definite village, 1 or two pubs and restaurants, would be very quiet, but location is great. Few mins drive from Lissadell beach and house, absolutely stunning.

Rathcormac.
    5 mins north of Sligo. Damn all going on, but a lovely location (check out Drum Road) and within spitting distance of Sligo town. Great community for families, strong GAA, athletics etc for kids if that's your thing.

Grange.
    15 mins north of Sligo. Great little town. Lovely school (Catholic), decent SuperValu, playground etc. Good community again. 5 min drive to Streedagh beach, one of the best beaches in Sligo imo.

Calry/Hazelwood is a nice area too, just inland by Lough Gill. Lovely countryside feel but 5-10 mins to Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

s4uv3 wrote: »
    You might be moving to the best little county there is :)

There's an Educate Together school in Sligo town (St. Annes/Garavogue area). It has a pretty good reputation, would look into it myself if we lived in town.
    There's also a Gaelscoil in Sligo, as far as I'm aware it's non-denominational but I'm open to correction on that.

As far as towns to live it, let's start with the hip and funky Strandhill! Close to Sligo town (10 min drive), teeming with young families, on the sea, surf village, few great restaurants and pubs. Very expensive though.

Rosses Point.
    Has a reputation of being a bit snobby, but honestly isn't. It's a maritime village, quieter and less 'cool' than Strandhill, but a good solid, beautiful little village. Great pubs and restaurants again, and great community things going on.

Carney.
    15 mins north of Sligo. Definite village, 1 or two pubs and restaurants, would be very quiet, but location is great. Few mins drive from Lissadell beach and house, absolutely stunning.

Rathcormac.
    5 mins north of Sligo. Damn all going on, but a lovely location (check out Drum Road) and within spitting distance of Sligo town. Great community for families, strong GAA, athletics etc for kids if that's your thing.

Grange.
    15 mins north of Sligo. Great little town. Lovely school (Catholic), decent SuperValu, playground etc. Good community again. 5 min drive to Streedagh beach, one of the best beaches in Sligo imo.

Calry/Hazelwood is a nice area too, just inland by Lough Gill. Lovely countryside feel but 5-10 mins to Sligo.

Carney is 10 mins from Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Thanks so much. All the towns sound great. And if everyone is as helpful as you, we'd be sorted :)

Would you suggest to live north of the town so? I suppose my wife's sentiment toward Donegal may be the reason for our choice of direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've lived in North Sligo for nearly 25 years and am going nowhere in a hurry. Hope you find somewhere that suits.

The school in Grange, while it has a catholic ethos, takes pupils of all religions and none. 7 years ago my daughter decided she wasn't making her confirmation. We went to the principal and the priest. Both said "No problem" . End of story.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've lived in North Sligo for nearly 25 years and am going nowhere in a hurry. Hope you find somewhere that suits.

The school in Grange, while it has a catholic ethos, takes pupils of all religions and none. 7 years ago my daughter decided she wasn't making her confirmation. We went to the principal and the priest. Both said "No problem" . End of story.

That's good to know, thank you. They all have to take all pupils now (that they have to). 4 years ago, though, before the change, 5 different schools insisted we present baptismal certs in enrollment. They said if we met with them they might make exceptions. It was in their enrollment policy right above a statement that said that they don't discriminate. I don't want to have to ask or even bring it up to a priest if my kids want to avoid religious ceremonies of any kind. I don't want my kids to view any religion as more important or in control over any other. From my experience, the majority of catholic schools will go out of their way to make it an issue, but will plead innocent once it's brought up. Logically enough it's in their interest as they control the board of management. Sure, you know yourself. Kids might be very shy and with no practicing religious experience other than to respect everyone elses, it'd be very awkward to be singled out. I suppose I would be fine with it, if they gave me their word that it wasn't going to be an issue at all.

A friend of mine enrolled her daughter in a national school last year and was very upset when Jesus started showing up in English and Maths homework. The priest often comes to the classroom for hours at a time and they take regular trips to the church to pray. Her daughter cried when her mother told her that they don't praise baby jesus and was confused. Was a bit of an awkward situation.

Would you happen to know if it is commonplace in grange school for kids to opt out?

• Advertisement

jt69er wrote: »
    Carney is 10 mins from Town.

Takes me 15 minutes. But thanks for the correction :rolleyes:

Board.surf wrote: »
    Thanks so much. All the towns sound great. And if everyone is as helpful as you, we'd be sorted :)

Would you suggest to live north of the town so? I suppose my wife's sentiment toward Donegal may be the reason for our choice of direction.

I would, but probably because that's where I live! It's coastal, on the N15, traffic is only a problem when there are roadworks, scenery is stunning (Benbulben) etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Takes me 15 minutes. But thanks for the correction :rolleyes:

You did say Carney 15 mins north of Sligo, Rathcormac 5 mins north of Sligo, Grange 15 mins north of Sligo. Both Grange & Carney cannot be 15 mins and Carney is not 10 mins from Rathcormac. Could be confusing for someone not from the area. If you are going to give information it might as well be correct. :rolleyes:

jt69er wrote: »
    You did say Carney 15 mins north of Sligo, Rathcormac 5 mins north of Sligo, Grange 15 mins north of Sligo. Both Grange & Carney cannot be 15 mins and Carney is not 10 mins from Rathcormac. Could be confusing for someone not from the area. If you are going to give information it might as well be correct. :rolleyes:

Better than my current commute so any of the above would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

There is a COI school in Collooney and also Carbury NS on the Mall in Sligo. I know of people who had their children baptised as Protestant to get them in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Good luck for the move.

In regards non religious schools there is only 1 and its educate together and ET schools do promote religion. Unfortunately there isnt really any other option. My child goes to cathloic school as there is no other option. There is prayers morning, lunch and home time. A significant amount of time spent on faith formation, priests and nuns calling into classrooms whenever they like. Ugh I hate it.

The only other option you have in sligo would be the sligo sudbury school. It has no religious ethos but is also completely different style of school to mainstream. It's not for everyone but may suit you and is in north sligo. Check out their fb page

Thanks @mountainashirl
    Sudbury fees are 12% of a families income, so that wouldn't be an option. Our current ET school doesn't so much promote religion as it educates kids on all religions. That's fair enough as I'd like for them to be aware, albeit in a fair and balanced way.

As for the catholic schools, I am aware that the local priest is chair of the board of management for them all. Religion aside, the fact alone that an unqualified person is running those schools is very odd. By virtue of being a priest, that man automatically runs schools unchallenged. Its seems to be a dictated entitlement. Paying copious amounts of tax, some of which goes to public schools. Supposedly for our kids to attend. It's a mess. I suppose some of the aren't pushing their indoctrination too hard, but it's a very awkward setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

There is a COI school in Collooney and also Carbury NS on the Mall in Sligo. I know of people who had their children baptised as Protestant to get them in there.

Not changing the subject or anything, but stay well clear of this school in Collooney, home school your kids if needs be. this school was the subject of bullying from the then principal a few years ago and she was forced to retire, the replacement principal was also forced to retire because of statements she made about a member of a colleagues family. big no no, stay well clear. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Black Bart wrote: »
    Not changing the subject or anything, but stay well clear of this school in Collooney, home school your kids if needs be. this school was the subject of bullying from the then principal a few years ago and she was forced to retire, the replacement principal was also forced to retire because of statements she made about a member of a colleagues family. big no no, stay well clear. :mad:

You forgot to mention that the Catholic School in Collooney hired a man instead of a much better qualified woman in the selection process for a new principal and that this act of gender bias cost the school 93K in the WRC and to add insult to injury she was informed of the decision on a golf course of all places. So by your criteria this is another school for the OP to stay well clear of.

St. Pauls school aimed their bitterness towards the students, yes the school in question that you mention had issues regarding employing staff but at no stage were the students put at risk, St. Pauls ridiculed some students over a few decades and everybody was afraid to do anything about it, until one very brave family had enough of the draconian type of teaching. Here is a link to the two court cases regarding not one but two so called principals, now make up your mind. https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/school-to-pay-out-over-bully-principal-27584858.html
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/teacher-to-be-compensated-over-comments-on-gay-son-1.2484823

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

St. Pauls school aimed their bitterness towards the students, yes the school in question that you mention had issues regarding employing staff but at no stage were the students put at risk, St. Pauls ridiculed some students over a few decades and everybody was afraid to do anything about it, until one very brave family had enough of the draconian type of teaching. Here is a link to the two court cases regarding not one but two so called principals, now make up your mind. https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/school-to-pay-out-over-bully-principal-27584858.html
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/teacher-to-be-compensated-over-comments-on-gay-son-1.2484823

That is pretty shocking. I have friends with kids in that school, I wonder do they know about this. Presuming it's a new principal now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

To be clear, the school bring mentioned as an ET school in Sligo Town is NOT an Educate Together school, it is run by a private company controlled by the principal's husband leaving no effective oversight of the teaching staff or management. The board of management was disbanded years ago following disputes with parents and had been run on an emergency provision by a single school manager appointed by the company, with no reinstatement of the board. This means there is no parental or community oversight.

They pay an affiliate fee to Educate Together and put the name on their website but ET have ZERO input into how the school is run or what oversight there is.

There have been a number of incidents where parents have removed their children from the school en masse due to incidents. It is the only multidenominational school in the country that has seen a decline in numbers when actual ET schools have been oversubscribed. In the immediate catchment area there are four schools with a combined number of pupils in excess of a thousand. Only 30 of these go to this school. In the past it had numbers of over 250 and did have a good reputation, but this has changed resulting in the massive drop and almost lead to closure by the Department of Education.
    The school is under the independent patronage of Sligo School Project, a company limited by guarantee. The school is also a member of Educate Together and its affiliation with Educate Together is stated on the school’s website.
    In light of the school having an independent patron, the role of Educate Together in relation to it is unclear. This needs to be clarified and made available to parents and the wider school community.

You have a right to opt out of religious education in any school, that is what we have done with it children since taking them out of that school for their safety.

Sligo is a beautiful county and these days the emphasis on religion isn't what it used to be. Grange in North Sligo has a progressive young principal, and while it is Catholic, the parish priest there is also very progressive.

If you want to ask anything more feel free to PM

This had happened over the past 11 years or so, a lot of families went through sheer hell around that time, my understanding is that the school has a new principal but I believe there is some staff still employed in that school that were there at that time.

This had happened over the past 11 years or so, a lot of families went through sheer hell around that time, my understanding is that the school has a new principal but I believe there is some staff still employed in that school that were there at that time.

There was a second mass exodus of students around 6 years ago too, with a new principal from before. According to the department site this is still the same principal who is there now.

I rest my case, it would be a worrying factor if this was the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jabez7

It is true that there were some unpleasant issues at St Paul's school in the past but as a result there is an entirely new Board of Management and a new principal and it is now a place of caring, sharing and learning. Come and see for yourselves.

ectoraige wrote: »
    There was a second mass exodus of students around 6 years ago too, with a new principal from before. According to the department site this is still the same principal who is there now.

Just to be clear, I was referring to the ET-affiliated school, not St. Paul's, I don't know anything about that school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

So, OP, did you decide on a move yet? I'm another based in North Sligo. You couldn't wish for a better place to raise kids. The 4 schools I'm pretty familiar with in North Sligo are all very good: Carns (v small < 30 pupils), Grange, Rathcormac and Rosses Point. Religion is obviously taught in all four but you can opt out without any issues if it's not for you.
    Secondary School also has a good variety. Grammar (fee-paying, mixed, ~500 pupils), Mercy (girls only, ~500), Ursuline (girls only, ~600) and Summerhill (boys only, ~1,000). I think there is also a VEC? Summerhill would be the one I'm most familiar with and it has a really good, progressive principal (early 40s) and would have no hesitation in recommending there.
    Off the top of my head, your kids (and you!) can easily get involved in:
    Swimming, football, hurling (no camogie yet), handball, soccer, basketball, athletics, sailing, golf, hill walking, scouts, mountain biking, music school (kids orchestra), drama, trad music and the list goes on....

You'll not be sorry for relocating to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Also Castlegal NS and Cliffoney NS.

Bundoran secondary is closer to some parts of North Sligo but I personally would send my kids to Grange VEC before Bundoran. I know very little about the secondary school just my experience in the old Ard Luaigh.

Advertisement