Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ND filters

Options
  • 07-07-2020 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, so recently purchased the mavic air 2 fly more so picked up the 3 ND filters (thinks its the 16/64/256) it's my first drone so apologies for coming across as a noob!

I've read up on their usage with regards to lighting and long exposure etc and will be testing out the 256 later at the beach to hopefully get that smooth flow!

My main query I suppose is for basic photos, video should I have a low filter attatched or not?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

You won't need them for photos, only video.

For video, you have to get used to gauging the amount of sunlight then using the correct ND filter.

If it's very sunny: ND32 or ND64
    Overcast: ND16

And although the 180 degree rule for 'smooth' video means 1/60 for 30fps and 1/50 for 25fps, you can adjust the shutter a little from those figures and it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

If you want smooth cinematic footage you'll definitely need that ND16 atleast when filming during the day.
    Try get your shutter to be double your frame rate, this might mean even trying that ND64 in bright direct sunlight to get down to 1/50 or 1/100 because you dont have an adjustable aperture.

If anyone else is looking at ND filters specifically for video, I'd suggest an ND 8/16/32 set.

That ND256 is really as you said yourself for long exposure photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Cheers lads it's definitely a learning curve but a very interesting one, I'm playing it safe with auto settings so far but did manage to play around with ISO and shutter etc while out yesterday! Didn't try the ND filters but could see how they benefit with the lighting when playing around with those settings

Advertisement