Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are old fashioned dinners a thing of the past?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

My mum cooks traditional dinners every day. Some of the things she cooks Rooster/queens potatoes, a full chicken, basic veg like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower. She cooks a lot of fish like salmon, smoked haddock and hake amongst others. Sometimes fillet steak, but a lot of sirloin steak.

I rarely cook traditional dinners. Usually I cook spaghetti bolognese, thai green curries, sweet and sour chicken and the likes. Sometimes I will cook spuds, but i find it takes ages to finish. When you're starving after a hard day's work, the last thing you need is to be spending ages cooking.

I haven't cooked a potato in years. I get the microwaveable pouches of baby potatoes in the supermarkets and frozen mash if I need it for something like a shepherds pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

How, in the name of the sweet, suffering, baby Jesus, did you ruin a saucepan making coddle?

This was many years ago.

There was a high inquisition (it was the mother's favourite saucepan apparently).. but we still don't know.

Officially, the cause was attributed to cook error.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

screamer wrote: »
    Talking about boiling the shyte out of veggies, actually cant stand food out of a slow cooker, mush and yuck. i have one in the press, i'll leave it till i am a gummy warrior, it'll make proper ould wans food. yuck.

I have one and i use it now and again.But the stuff sometimes comes out weird.Like it smells amazing cooking but it comes out blugh.

Saying that i did do a shredded chicken and it was gorgeous.Must have been a lucky day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

It comes from lack of cooking skills. You can’t go wrong with boiling. Zero skill needed and all you have to do is not undercook it. So people boil the shyte out of it.

Same with overcooking Turkey on Christmas. So many people can’t tell when it’s cooked by temperature or the actual skills of cooking, so they just leave it in the oven for an extra hour tobesuretobesure and make a balls of it.

Thats my mams exact method of cooking.
    Although I do love going to hers for Christmas, there is something comforting about over boiled salty veg & roast beef that can be used as a weapon.

I myself make lovely roast dinners, all self thought ;)
    I'll be staying home this year & having the usual al dente veg, so Christmas won't exactly be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What is it with the way older folk boil the shít out of veg? Is it making sure it's cooked "properly" or lack of teeth?

Probably just prefer the texture... I’m young but I’m the same, I find the more flavor and nicer texture is achieved ... I don’t enjoy hard veg, never did. More cooking = more flavor and better texture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Spent time in Bradford as a teenager over summers with family.

Yorkshire Puddings.. divine.

Roast beef with ooooodles of gravy and pees and colli with cheese sauce and fresh horseradish, fooooking lovely. ( and spuds obvs , roasted to a crisp )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Strumms wrote: »
    Probably just prefer the texture... I’m young but I’m the same, I find the more flavor and nicer texture is achieved ... I don’t enjoy hard veg, never did. More cooking = more flavor and better texture.

Don't like soft splodgy veg, baby food consistency.
    You throw away all the vitamins and minerals with the water when overboiled.
    Makes things like sprouts and cabbage stink a bit too.

I get hankerings for a big stew every few weeks. Love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,557 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Good everyday cookbooks have been around for years. The Good housekeeping series was ubiquitous in houses for decades. Kieth Floyd books were incredibly popular, my parents book shelves are heaving with cookbooks from the seventies from which recipes are still being used throughout the family.

Cooking for dinner parties & entertaining has been a very popular culture in suburbia and urban areas for a long time. Pre-covid it would be rare for a good cooking get together in our house, a friends, family or neighbours house at the weekend. Same with my elderly parents, their siblings and my cousins. When the kids were too young we turned to large multi family breakfasts after beach walks.

It's one of the things we really miss during the present pandemic. A crowded table with good food and good company.

Ok. That’s all fine. I’m still not sure what confused you or the other poster about what I posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

The move to convenience food and away from slower cooking methods started over 50 years ago

Advertizing.Fast economy , Fast food , Motorways ,All the drive to speed up life

Just as there was s race to reach the moon

There was also a race to see who would be first to eat from a pill

You'd hear it in songs and science fiction

Housewives were going off to Tesco to buy s packet of powder to make the dessert

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Just as there was s race to reach the moon

There was also a race to see who would be first to eat from a pill

You'd hear it in songs and science fiction

Housewives were going off to Tesco to buy s packet of powder to make the dessert
    And with the increased pace of life and the move towards two working parent households, that all made sense but it was often at the expense of food quality.

Jamie and people like that came along much, much later to show normal people how to cook great food from close to scratch, quickly so it could be done after work and in time for family dinner.

It’s interesting to look back at old cooking shows and see how impractical it would be to do those dishes apart from a dinner party or an occasion.

I find it interesting to compare English and Irish cooking shows. Irish shows are much more formal, expensive ingredients, Nevin maguire, Rory O'Connell. Lovely food but not usually practical for a quick dinner on a Tuesday evening after work.

The English shows tend to be much more aimed at the working person. The Sunday brunch on C4 or the Saturday morning show on bbc are much more aimed at a broader audience. They show Floyd and some of the older chefs on location in grease or whatever, but they cook things in studio that’s re usually quick and wholesome.

Good food and wholesome cooking have made a comeback since the onslaught from aftertisers and supermarkets

Unfortunately the supermarket business model is based on selling packaged processed food so ultimately people will have to choose to shop elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Have to say I like a good coddle although it might be just a childhood association. Don't eat it that regularly though. I do prefer a brown one to a white one though, with stock which again is what I was brought up with. My mother also used to put dumplings in it which I liked. It's a nice, nostalgic comfort food and those associations are a big part of food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ok. That’s all fine. I’m still not sure what confused you or the other poster about what I posted.

The middle class thing. But you do have a point, I'm guessing it was (and still is) harder for people with less money (average chef) to start a career in cookbook production.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The middle class thing. But you do have a point, I'm guessing it was (and still is) harder for people with less money (average chef) to start a career in cookbook production.

I think it was the target market too. Cook books were aimed at the dinner party and that was more of a middle class thing than a working class thing. It was special occasion food more than quick, after work food for the working family. That came much later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

530498.jpg

So inspired was i by this masterpiece that i recreated it at the weekend.

Delicious so it was, made enough to do 2 days and ate it all in 1 sitting:D

Advertisement