Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are old fashioned dinners a thing of the past?

• 25-11-2020 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Do people still do a sunday dinner, consisting of ham, roast, potatoes, cabbage?
    Do people still do stews?
    Do people still do coddles?

These days with most children, especially teenagers, not wanting this and only eating that, and people becoming vegans and vegetarians, people cutting down of different foods due to medical conditions etc.

So what's your opinion, if you refuse to answer, you'll get yesterdays leftover cabbage and potatoes for your dinner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

You can beat a good stew is cold weather

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

You've answered the question yourself in the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Kylta wrote: »
    Do people still do a sunday dinner, consisting of ham, roast, potatoes, cabbage?

Yes, wouldn't be every sunday - but you can't beat a decent sunday dinner!

Love stew, but only my ma's, my own or my cousin Jeans. My missuses effort is barely edible, i refuse to even call it stew:mad:

Very rarely because i'm the only one who eats it, but jaysus i'd kill for a bowl of coddle now!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I've never cooked or eaten coddle.

I love stew and cook it frequently.

Also love a good roast chicken dinner on a Sunday.

I don't really know what a "new fashion" dinner would be tbh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You still get old style grub but the ingredients might be a bit more unusual

Funny myself and the other half were only saying today that our dads - both deceased - would hardly recognise the contents of our fridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Glurrl

Yes, Slow cookers stews casseroles etc. We sit down every evening at the table and chat over dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭peter4918

Stews, Bacon and Cabbage are still on the menu in our house with the odd Sunday roast or Shepard’s pie. We were never big into the coddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

These days with most children, especially teenagers, not wanting this and only eating that, and people becoming vegans and vegetarians, people cutting down of different foods due to medical conditions etc.

So what's your opinion, if you refuse to answer, you'll get yesterdays leftover cabbage and potatoes for your dinner.
    I'm a vegetarian and I'd have traditional dinners fairly regularly with some sort of meat substitute like quorn. Pastas and curries are more simple to prepare though with maybe 2 pots involved instead of 3 or 4 plus an oven for the traditional dinner.

Leftover cabbage and spuds is fantastic fried in the pan and served with plenty of salt and HP sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Had to Google coddle, never heard of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Nobody should eat coddle. I wouldn't even give it to the dog.

• Advertisement

Bland boring dinner type. Good riddance i say.

Jimson wrote: »
    Nobody should eat coddle. I wouldn't even give it to the dog.

Don't listen to this man. Coddle is the food of the gods:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

xzanti wrote: »
    I've never cooked or eaten coddle.

I love stew and cook it frequently.

Also love a good roast chicken dinner on a Sunday.

I don't really know what a "new fashion" dinner would be tbh?

Pizza, Burgers, Lasagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I never eat them I hate, stew, why ruin the meat like that?

Christmas dinner is the worst slop you could put on a plate I wouldn't wish it on someone in prison. You can make a much nicer dinner for less than half the price in 20 mins if you just go with a pizza.

The main thing for me is trying to cut potatoes out of my diet as much as possible except for chips and crisps. I can't stand them. Or sprouts, cabbage, turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

our family love a roast dinner - we'd eat them frequently maybe fortnightly of a sunday

Stew occasionally too.

We all eat a lot of animal protein and none of my kids have any of restrictive eating habits so that type of thing is alien to me as a parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

A week wouldn't pass without having a shepherds pie
    Love stews
    A roast dinner is nice when we've company, only the 2 of us lately
    Bacon & Cabbage will never cross my door. I abhor fatty meat and cabbage is just smelly pointless weeds.

Might have a takeaway once a month, but mainly homemade curries, pasta, steak, lasagne, stir fry, chicken. etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Simple rule in this house: if you don't want to eat what's prepared for the "family" (less of that these days, more a group of random guests) then you can cook something alternative for yourself and have it ready to serve at the same time. Funnily enough, there's rarely any demand for shared space at the cooker! :pac:

I had seven vegetarians visit at various stages over the summer; six of them "lapsed" during their stay. The worst was the lady who was going to cook some kind of rice dish, had all her ingredients laid out, got distracted by a phone call, and came back just at the moment that I pulled a pork roast out of the oven. The rice never left the packet ... and she had two helpings of the pork! :D

So to answer your question: yep -
    - Roast meat & potatoes are quite regular here (though not necessarily kept for Sundays) ; cabbage is for caterpillars, so I'd have two or three other veg instead.
    - Stews: regularly throughout the winter. I make up a big batch, put three or four portions in the freezer and eat the other three or four portions over the course of the week (I find the third re-heat is usually the best).
    - Coddle : never had it in its "pure" form, but regularly make what in this house we call "shpeck und spuds" - Speck being the German for prosciutto/lardons/bacon-bits. The meat would be fresh out of the packet, but the potato would always be leftovers, so true to the spirit of coddle ... but fried in a pan (with onions, herbs, black pepper), so not really coddle either.

Edit: I have often had the Alsation version of coddle - choucroute (a version of sauerkraut). Suppose I should do a comparison tasting at some point ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jimson wrote: »

It's a Dub thing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

- Coddle : never had it in its "pure" form, but regularly make what in this house we call "shpeck und spuds" - Speck being the German for prosciutto/lardons/bacon-bits. The meat would be fresh out of the packet, but the potato would always be leftovers, so true to the spirit of coddle ... but fried in a pan (with onions, herbs, black pepper), so not really coddle either.[/QUOTE]

That shpeck und spuds sounds lovely, might try that over the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

We'd have stew a few times a month, Sunday roasts maybe twice a month and I don't even know what coddle is. Sounds like something a Dub will make and tell you its a delicacy.

Other than that this week's dinner have or will consist(ed) of chicken caesar salad, chicken and pasta, beef and broccoli stir-fry, slow roast lamp with sides TBD and we might get a take away over the weekend.

Other regulars would be spag bol, lasagne, homemade beef burgers/chicken goujons or a pie the day after a roast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What even is this stew you all speak of? Is it like a curry but with no flavour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Sounds like something a Dub will make and tell you its a delicacy.

I think it's bits of sausages and potatoes and carrots in a watery mess. Like something I'd expect to be served in a Victorian prison. I've lived in Dublin most of my life and never actually seen it or heard of anyone I know eating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Krispy pancakes

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Pamsteer

People may not cook those as often as they did but they are very popular as pub grub. I've friends that would regularly go to a pub carvery on a Sunday and order those dishes - not sure what they're doing at the moment though.

I think it's bits of sausages and potatoes and carrots in a watery mess. Like something I'd expect to be served in a Victorian prison. I've lived in Dublin most of my life and never actually seen it or heard of anyone I know eating it.

Sausages, rashers, spuds, carrots + onions - I think the original recipe would be cooked in stock of some sort, but i personally prefer potato soup, i also throw in some parsnips and barley, occasionally a few chickpeas.

You'd be hard pressed to find a more delicious meal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Life is more chaotic now

People are fussier and not available to eat at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Sunday Deliveroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

You can't beat a good wholesome Irish stew, especially in the winter months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This is a coddle I made for my family a few weeks ago. Some fundamentalists would argue that it's not pure because it has orange carrots, and everything should be pale, but I disagree. It was absolutely delicious. Really easy to make. Chop up some potatoes, carrots, rashers, sausages and onions. Parsnips are acceptable too. Add them to a pot of chicken stock. Throw in some barley and black pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for for an hour.

If you look up recipes online, all you get is abominations. You do not cook it in an oven, and you do not brown the sausages or rashers first. This is the way.

Serve piping hot with some soda bread and more black pepper, washed down with a pint of mik.

They don't call it "mickey stew" for nothing.

530498.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Not a farm anyway

Dinner at 12 noon :)

Advertisement