Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find Google Search answers in another language?

Options
  • 19-02-2018 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of a desperate request but I'm struggling with something and need help so here goes:-

A friend is Burmese and although she's been living here a long time (over 9 years) her English is still quite poor.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer last week (thankfully stage 0) and given the usual documentation by the hospital to take home which explains everything but obviously it's in English.

Hand written onto the documentation (by the consultant) are some drawings and notes explaining that she is to have a mastectomy at her upcoming surgery but I don't think this hasn't sunk in with her as she still talks like they are just going to remove the cancer like they were removing a wart whereas the notes clearly state "mastectomy" in 2-3 different places.

I want to tell her so she knows what is going to happen etc but I don't have answers for the questions she is bound to ask so I had the bright idea of doing a google search in English for "Mastectomy Explained" and asking for the answers in Burmese but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make Google produce answers in Burmese which I could print out for her or send her a link to so she can read up on the procedure, the after surgery recovery period etc.

Any suggestions from the language forum how best I can achieve this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

You'll need to install a burmese font on your computer.
    Then google the phrase "Mastectomy in burmese". it will give you the word. copy it to clipboard.
    in google.com, click "settings" in the bottom right, then languages, and pick burmese from the list of squiggles.
    paste the word into google and hopefully something relevant will come up. (copy and paste into google translate to see if the articles you find make sense)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

She could use google translate - I seem to remember it also comes into App form, and when you turn it on the camera starts functioning, so when you hover it over the text it automatically translates what it "sees". What I don't know is if it's available for all languages. An alternative would be to ring her consulate/embassy and see if anyone would be willing to help her.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

BTW, in Google Translate (not the app) you can type a URL in the left box, and in the box on the right you'll see the same URL, but if you click on that it'll show you the translated version of the page.

One more option would be to look at wikipedia and see if they have a Burmese page for mastectomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭sabrewulf

Only seeing this thread now, so probably way too late for OP. However, this might be useful for other users looking for a similar solution.

Here's a list of all localized Google versions:

https://g.com.pub/

There is shortcuts that apply the settings for each Google version. The one for Burma (Myanmar) is:

http://mm.g.com.pub

cheers

sabrewulf

That's extremely useful to know, thanks Sabrewulf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement