Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signal booster stopped working

Options
  • 22-12-2019 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

I have one of those 3g signal boosters in my living room and it has stopped working all of a sudden. The unit is displaying an error message "Isolation not enough etc." That wasn't there before (just a message about device gain) and the mast outside has not been moved and the unit was not damaged or anything.I am not getting any increase in signal strength on my mobile (I am with Three).
    It was very good when it was working; I used to get three or four extra bars.
    I know these units are illegal; Have Three done something with the cell towers to stop them working? This thing cost me €150 when I bought it two years ago, I don't want to have to buy another one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Certified ones are no longer illegal, comreg updated the regulations.

If you want help maybe post the model you're using and the exact error message, don't make other users pull teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭lukin

ED E wrote: »
    Certified ones are no longer illegal, comreg updated the regulations.

If you want help maybe post the model you're using and the exact error message, don't make other users pull teeth.

The model I am using is no longer available (the link I bought it from on the site is dead), it covered 150 sq metres but the new one covers 300 sq metres. It is a SMART 3G 2100 Repeater.
    The error is

Problem: Isolation not enough
    Sol1: Pull away the antennae
    Sol2: Raise up the antennae
    Sol3 Isolate with the wall

DsSWfHg.png

If both the antennae are in range of each other you create a loop and everything breaks. Iput becomes output becomes more input. You'll need to track down why they're suddenly doing this.

DsSWfHg.png

If both the antennae are in range of each other you create a loop and everything breaks. Iput becomes output becomes more input. You'll need to track down why they're suddenly doing this.

OK thanks. I don't know why it has stopped working, it is pointing in the same direction as before. Unless rain water got into the antennae but I doubt that.
    It is up really high and on a mast that has a 4G antennae on it as well so it will be a real pain to take it down.
    Rebooting the unit didn't make a difference. I will try making a greater distance between the antennae and the unit but I doubt if that will help.

I tried a new booster that I bought online but same story; no difference to my signal. The LCD screen on the new booster was giving me the same errors as the last one. I was able to send it it back and I got a refund but it cost me a bit 'cause I had to pay €108 customs clearance to DHL when I bought it (which was not refunded) and €70 to send it back.
    I installed an app (Cellular-Z) on my phone on the recommendation of a person from the site I bought the booster from. That gave me some info which I sent to her and she recommended another booster based on that.
    It costs €500 so I don't think I will be buying it. I will probably have to pay that customs clearance again. If it doesn't work and I have to return it I will have to pay another €70 I'd say. It probably won't work anyway either because the antennae looks the same as the last one although the box looks different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Legal certified repeaters here - https://www.stelladoradus.com/, manufactured in Waterford. No customs and a quick phone call to resolve any issues.

This company also installs them - https://www.novatel.ie/

Based upon the info from the Cellular-Z app it seems the frequency being used by my provider has changed. It is now 1760 MHz (uplink) and 1855 MHz (downlink).
    I didn't run the app on my phone when the signal booster was working so I don't know what those readings were then but they must have been different because the signal booster (that now doesn't work) operates on the following frequencies:
    Up-link of 890 to 915 MHz and down-link of 935 - 960 MHz.
    I need to buy a booster that operates on the frequencies given by the Cellular-Z app.
    No reason then why it should not work. I don't know why a cellphone provider would change frequencies though.

Normal network operation.

800Mhz gives range but low speed, if you build a new cell then you swap both over to 1800Mhz over smaller sectors. Overall better network.

EDIT:

3G booster? Then you went from 900Mhz 3G to 1800Mhz 4G. If it was still 3G it'd be 2100Mhz.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

lukin wrote: »
    No reason then why it should not work. I don't know why a cellphone provider would change frequencies though.

As Ed E said it's normal network operation.

Have a look here - https://www.comreg.ie/industry/radio-spectrum/licensing/search-licence-type/mobile-licences/

It lists all the frequencies the mobile operators are licensed to use for 3G/4G services across the 800/900/1800/2100 MHz bands. The 700MHz is to auctioned later this year for 5G mobile services.

Normal network operation.

800Mhz gives range but low speed, if you build a new cell then you swap both over to 1800Mhz over smaller sectors. Overall better network.

EDIT:

3G booster? Then you went from 900Mhz 3G to 1800Mhz 4G. If it was still 3G it'd be 2100Mhz.

No it was a 4G booster.

• Advertisement

lukin wrote: »
    No it was a 4G booster.

Might want to correct the OP so.

Might want to correct the OP so.

I'm the op. My mistake; I meant to say 4G booster. The one I had boosted the GSM signal in the house too so it meant I could make calls and texts anywhere in the house but now I have no coverage indoors.
    I am going to buy a new one that I think will work. The only thing I am concerned about is that if the service providers change to a different frequency again and the frequency they change to is outside range my booster uses. Then that booster will stop working also.
    I suppose that is a chance I have to take.

They change infrequently. If you get a multiband unit you'll be pretty safe.

They change infrequently. If you get a multiband unit you'll be pretty safe.

Cool, thanks.

I bought a new booster and it's working on the frequency my service provider (Three) is on now.
    The multi-band boosters were too expensive for me, they seem to be used more on ships and boats (for obvious reasons).
    I can only hope that Three don't change to a different frequency again because I paid a good bit of coin for this one and I couldn't really afford to be buying another one if it stops working.

Advertisement