Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved back to Ireland and questioning it!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I left Ireland Ireland in 05 I think. Spent around 7 years in London and loved it but took a chance to travel and then due to a girl I met in London I ended up here in Brisbane.

I miss London more than I miss Ireland :) but I think Australia is my future. It's a nice town/city balance. Good weather although it does get oppressively hot at times during summer but I have a bbq I can and do use almost everyday and I've a motorbike that I can ride virtually every day and the countryside is literally a 10 minute ride. Outside life, hanging out with mates on verandas with a beer. It's a good life.

Now if only they could flipping roll out NBN and get me decent internet I'd be super happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

bladebrew wrote: »
    The insurance is so high because after 2 years your NCB is basically gone, those prices are with no NCB, your 5 years might be intact but they are not taken into account, this problem seems to be mentioned a lot as people move home after years away,

Actually - I had the same issue when I came home after 4 years. Not one insurer would take driving in Australia into consideration. I thought I was gonna have to give up the car. Then I called Aviva! They were the only ones who took overseas driving into consideration, I got 4 years NCB with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Thought I'd share a more positive perspective here. I'm back in Ireland 1.5yrs after a year long trip around the world including a 6 month stay in Melbourne. Not as long as some people have invested abroad I'll grant you. While Melbourne is a fantastic place to live and work, it's just not Ireland. I guess it all depends on the reasons you left in the first place but we're about to buy a house now in Galway and are loving being back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

have to say, no joke, if i lost my job tomorrow i would be gone the next week. if i didn't value family so much I would be already gone long ago. ireland is not as it was, and while many things have improved materially and liberally, it has dis improved quality of life in my opinion. old values like respect for self and others are long gone, drugs, crime, me first selfish attitude has taken over but the small mindedness has remained. and if i was abroad thinking of returning, my advise would be to not even consider it without a job offer in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

CB19135 wrote: »
    Have you ever lived anywhere else?

Not permanently but I have spent a lot of time in the US and Europe through work mostly. Been in NYC, Ohio and Arizona for 4 to 6 months on occasions.

I am unsure of the reasoning for your question, are you saying that I am not qualified to comment about Ireland because i didn't live in Australia. Or I didn't agree with the sentiments that all politicians are crooked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

The point is it's very different to move somewhere temporarily than the potential finality of emigration to the other side of the world. I know you can always cone back but it's the having to cut most of your ties to what and where you live that is very daunting.

I have lived in, US, London and moving to Australia next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The point is it's very different to move somewhere temporarily than the potential finality of emigration to the other side of the world.
    As long as there's no kids involved there isn't sense of finality, you can ping pong indefinitely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Dont know why anyone would come back crap weather , no jobs for graduates i should know, same news every day fine gael finna fail take shots at sinn fein about something that happened 100 years ago they take shots back etc etc oh and how could i forget the one positive we are so much craic according to ourselves and were not a bunch of alcholics again according to ourselves even though every other country thinks we are.

audi12 wrote: »
    .....and how could i forget the one positive we are so much craic according to ourselves and were not a bunch of alcholics again according to ourselves even though every other country thinks we are.
    Per person Australia consumes more than ireland. (I'll dig up a link later)

At least Australian politicians leave you in no doubt of their opinion, regardless of how distasteful it is.

catbear wrote: »
    Per person Australia consumes more than ireland. (I'll dig up a link later)

At least Australian politicians leave you in no doubt of their opinion, regardless of how distasteful it is.

Dobut they talk about as much as irish people do you swear it cures cancer or something

• Advertisement

Dobut they talk about as much as irish people do you swear it cures cancer or something
    ?:confused:

?:confused:

As in irish people never shut up talking about going drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

As long as there's no kids involved there isn't sense of finality, you can ping pong indefinitely.

Even kids don't bring a sense of finality. Kids are flexible, travel is good for them depending on their personalities and how it is framed I guess. Our kids have lived in Ireland, Canada and now Australia. They will most likely live in Ireland again at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

As was mentioned, staying or moving back depends on your original reasons for moving I think. One thing I have noticed though is that when you do move home, after the initial excitement, family tend to get back to their own lives.

As was mentioned, staying or moving back depends on your original reasons for moving I think. One thing I have noticed though is that when you do move home, after the initial excitement, family tend to get back to their own lives.

As you would expect surely? and you get back to yours.

As you would expect surely? and you get back to yours.

Yes, of course, but some people expect to move back to where they're from and have everyone fuss over them indefinitely.

It just doesn't work out like that in real life but it's human nature to wear rose tinted glasses when looking at what you think you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Dont know why anyone would come back crap weather , no jobs for graduates i should know, same news every day fine gael finna fail take shots at sinn fein about something that happened 100 years ago they take shots back etc etc oh and how could i forget the one positive we are so much craic according to ourselves and were not a bunch of alcholics again according to ourselves even though every other country thinks we are.
    If you don't like it, leave. I can go out there tonight with the materials you've got and make myself $15,000. Tonight! In two hours! Can you? Can YOU? Go and do likewise. You want to know what it takes to make it? It takes BRASS BALLS to make it. Go and do likewise

If you don't like it, leave. I can go out there tonight with the materials you've got and make myself $15,000. Tonight! In two hours! Can you? Can YOU? Go and do likewise. You want to know what it takes to make it? It takes BRASS BALLS to make it. Go and do likewise
    Well I guess it being Paddys night if you raid a few pubs just as they're closing then it's very possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Are you a stripper?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Geraldo

This is a fascinating thread to read. Myself and my wife seriously thought about emigrating in about 09 when things were really bad and we had just had our first kid. We stuck it out in the end mainly due to not wanting to be away from family for ours and our kids sake.
    I did live abroad for a while when I was in my 20's though and one thing it taught me is that I love living in Ireland. The main reason is the sense of familiarity. It has plenty going against it but most of those you will get in every country and far worse in plenty. For every scandal here you'll find something similar wherever you go. Ireland is no better or worse than most countries, it's just another place to live. But it's the place where I'm from and where my folks live and that makes it more comfortable for me personally.
    But I'd kill to get better weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Zambia wrote: »
    Are you a stripper?

Money's out there. You pick it up, it's yours. You don't, I got no sympathy for you. You wanna go out there tonight and close, CLOSE. It's yours. If not you're gonna be shining my shoes. And you know what you'll be saying - bunch of losers sittin' around in a bar. 'Oh yeah. I used to live in Ireland. It's a tough racket.'

coffee.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Money's out there. You pick it up, it's yours. You don't, I got no sympathy for you. You wanna go out there tonight and close, CLOSE. It's yours. If not you're gonna be shining my shoes. And you know what you'll be saying - bunch of losers sittin' around in a bar. 'Oh yeah. I used to live in Ireland. It's a tough racket.'

Ah right I see, so in your defense you just tell the Judge you found the money because it's 'out there'....and you just happen to have picked it up.

Brass Balls indeed.

Hang on Mongfinder General, are you the fecker that knocked off that chernobal childrens shipment the other night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Slideways

Sounds like someone just watched The Wolf of Wallstreet.. :pac:

Or got lucky playing poker....once.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Yeah but some of us aren't prepared to get
    rode up the hole all day at work
    Metaphorically or not.
    I can go out there tonight with the materials you've got and make myself $15,000. Tonight! In two hours! Can you? Can YOU? Go and do likewise. You want to know what it takes to make it? It takes BRASS BALLS to make it. Go and do likewise

That's a wonderful contribution.
    Poker isn't just about brass balls, neither is betting on horses or Football.
    I'd also warrant that if you are playing poker for 2 hours, you'll be relying on getting the right cards at least once.

There are very few graduate jobs, the news is like a groundhog day reel, The vast majority of FF, FG and SF TD's are a band of self-serving yes men whose only function in society is to do fcuk all while appearing busy and making the other fella look like a worse choice, We are great craic, and we are functioning drunks. The vast majority of us have never been to that meeting that would help us define ourselves as alcoholics.
    I miss my family, I miss my friends, but I don't miss the life I left, the choices I didn't have, the weather (that was endured, not enjoyed), the constant gossip and small talk chatter that gives rural Ireland their essential distraction from the fucking dismal situation they are in.
    I can see it from the outside, but I never could when I was there. I could only feel it and believe that it was better far away, and when I got there, it was, different, and better.
    Each to their own though. Some people love living in Ireland, and I can understand that too. It's just not for me.

Most of the people I know who love living back home would dearly love to give somewhere else a try but, they are afraid. Afraid of going out there without their support network, their friends, their home comforts. I don't blame them at all. Arriving in Sydney airport at 7am, after 24 hours of travelling, with a 4 year old, a 3 year old and a 9 month old and not knowing a single person there was one of the most confronting experiences of my life.

I figured it out, you're this guy! :D
    GbSNo6a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 CB19135

jimd2 wrote: »
    Not permanently but I have spent a lot of time in the US and Europe through work mostly. Been in NYC, Ohio and Arizona for 4 to 6 months on occasions.

I am unsure of the reasoning for your question, are you saying that I am not qualified to comment about Ireland because i didn't live in Australia. Or I didn't agree with the sentiments that all politicians are crooked?

Well if you have not experienced living somewhere else.for a long period of time then you wouldnt truly understand all thats on offer in other countries as a resident over whats available in Ireland.

Advertisement