Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

citizenship in sydney

Options
  • 18-03-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all, girlfriend and myself are in the process of doing our citizenship then heading home for a while and see how life goes there. We've passed our test and are waiting for a ceremony date, we've got some friends who had very short waiting times in the city council(we're in Randwick) we've planned our trip home based on their dates, assuming it would only take approx. 2/3 weeks from doing the test to ceremony date but we were approved on 30th January and have heard nothing since, wondering if anybody has had a similar experience or knows about Randwick council waiting dates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

Don't know about Sydney but in Melbourne its a 6 month wait in some councils.

We passed our test at the start of November and still haven't been called.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭HHH

A work colleague was waiting 8 weeks from the test completion date until the ceremony. He had his ceremony in Randwick 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 buffalo909

thanks for the feedback, we're just starting to get a bit anxious, especially after calling the helpline where all they'll say is "3-6 months"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

the councils usually have the dates published on their website. I'm down in the shire, only took a few weeks after my test to get notification. in saying that, i was only one of two irish in that ceremony.

give them a call maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 observed

You do realise you have to get an Australian Passport too prior to leaving. (All Australian citizens must leave Australia on an Austrlaian Passport)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

observed wrote: »
    You do realise you have to get an Australian Passport too prior to leaving. (All Australian citizens must leave Australia on an Austrlaian Passport)

This. :(

Such a pain, cost me an excellent holiday deal as I couldn't risk the new passport not arriving and pushed my departure date into the peak season!

Grrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Monday 26 January (Australia Day)
    Thursday 5 February
    Thursday 26 February
    Thursday 5 March
    Thursday 9 April
    Thursday 30 April
    Thursday 7 May
    Thursday 4 June
    Thursday 2 July
    Thursday 6 August
    Thursday 3 September
    Thursday 8 October
    Thursday 5 November
    Thursday 3 December
    observed wrote: »

Can you leave on your irish passport after you pass the test, but before the ceremony?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Mellor wrote: »
    Can you leave on your irish passport after you pass the test, but before the ceremony?

Yes. You should let them know though.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Yes. You should let them know though.

I've giving them the dates as part of the application. But I'll prob want to get it in writing.
    I could probably fit it all in, But I'm thinking it might be easier to delay the ceremony and avoid the passport rush.

I'm aware of having to have an Aussie passport when leaving, I've heard there's a fast track passport application process though which costs a bit extra, could be wrong though? I tried calling Randwick council directly but they don't have any idea about the waiting list, just have to keep checking the post!!

• Advertisement

i left and re-entered twice on my irish passport after the citizenship ceremony, you wont have any drama as long as the previous visa still has time on it. just mention it to the DIAC guy at the desk.

Received our ceremony date yesterday, its the 7th May, at least now we can start planning, probably do the express passport route. Is your previous visa not void once your citizenships been approved?

i think they do cancel it eventually.

the aussie passport passport gets processed fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

buffalo909 wrote: »
    Received our ceremony date yesterday, its the 7th May, at least now we can start planning, probably do the express passport route. Is your previous visa not void once your citizenships been approved?

How long does the express passport take?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

colman1212 wrote: »
    How long does the express passport take?

2 working days from them receiving all your documents. So maybe allow a few days for prior postage.
    An express passport is $111 on top of the regular $250 passport fee.

Go to post office and pick up forms and have a read online. You have to present all the original documents etc in person at post office, also need a guarantor.
    Make sure you have everything upfront if you are on a tight schedule so no delays.
    You need your citizenship cert that you get at ceremony.

Re the whole leaving Australia on Irish passport thing, I personally wouldn't risk throwing yourself on the goodwill of the immigration guys. During the citizenship process they go to great lengths to let you know that you must travel in and out of Oz on Aussie passport. Technically I suppose it's not wrong as you could travel on Irish passport but if they act quickly and cancel your visa you could be in trouble....

your a citizen of this country, what could they do? i explained to the DIAC guy on my re-entry and no issue what so ever. remember, your australian just the same as the guy sitting on the other side of the desk.

As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport. If you also have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia.

People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/travel/

I wouldn't risk it.

I know a guy who apparently left on his irish passport after completing his citizenship test, but before his ceremony. He spoke to immi and the guy on the phone told him it should be ok.
    His PR was void after the citizen was granted. He left without issue, but he had trouble getting back in at immi in sydney. Basically he had no aussie passport to enter on. And he had no visa for his irish pasport. they knew he was australian so he was in no danger of being put on a plane, but they made him pay for some sort of emergency visa for his irish passport so he could enter to apply for the aussie one.

A long form to fill out and a his wallet was a few hundred dollars lighter

Mellor wrote: »
    I know a guy who apparently left on his irish passport after completing his citizenship test, but before his ceremony. He spoke to immi and the guy on the phone told him it should be ok.
    His PR was void after the citizen was granted. He left without issue, but he had trouble getting back in at immi in sydney. Basically he had no aussie passport to enter on. And he had no visa for his irish pasport. they knew he was australian so he was in no danger of being put on a plane, but they made him pay for some sort of emergency visa for his irish passport so he could enter to apply for the aussie one.

A long form to fill out and a his wallet was a few hundred dollars lighter

You're not technically a citizen until you do your ceremony and take the oath.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    You're not technically a citizen until you do your ceremony and take the oath.
    Tbh I might have exact details a bit foggy (2nd hand info). He might have taken the oath but not had a passport yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement