Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Hobos" only appearing at Xmas

Options
  • 11-12-2019 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

https://www.rollingnews.ie/p/press/stories?archive=16568

"Hobos" only appearing at Xmas and camp up beside retail stores in the busiest places in Ireland. To guilt trip the rest. i imagine there are warmer and quieter places to go. But no, cant say anything negative against the "homeless problem". Of course there arent any extorting gangs. oh no, and Irish unfortunate are worse than others throughout the world. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

As long as they are not aggressive begging I don't see the problem.

Be glad you're not in their position, speaking from experience being broke at Xmas ain't fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I work in the city centre and the rough sleepers are here every morning and every night all year. nothing to do with Christmas.

A lot aren't begging just trying to get a few hours of sleep somewhere dry and a bit sheltered.You can't begrudge anyone that

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

"Hobos" only appearing at Xmas and camp up beside retail stores in the busiest places in Ireland. To guilt trip the rest. i imagine there are warmer and quieter places to go. But no, cant say anything negative against the "homeless problem". Of course there arent any extorting gangs. oh no, and Irish unfortunate are worse than others throughout the world. :rolleyes:

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

I work in the city centre and the rough sleepers are here every morning and every night all year. nothing to do with Christmas.

A lot aren't begging just trying to get a few hours of sleep somewhere dry and a bit sheltered.You can't begrudge anyone that

definitely.
    more compassion is needed. A lot of the hostels are just not suitable for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ive slept rough a few times in my life.
    Never out of homelessness just that I got caught out after a night out or a concert.

Even knowing it was just for one night, it wasn't easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

This reminds me: Eddie Hobbs is still a prick

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mikecope

I usually give them a few bob, as they say, "there but for the grace of God go I".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There are people strategically put out to beg too, I can only assume a gangmaster at the controls, why the operation is not shut down is beyond me. I noticed 5 people one day with signage in their hands all with the very same hand writing and phrase, they were career beggars either exploited or by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

patrickc wrote: »
    definitely.
    more compassion is needed. A lot of the hostels are just not suitable for people.
    Havent you a spare room to give them or is it taken up with one of the refugees?
    Joe Duffy was inundated with people offering rooms to the poor Syrian refugees last year. Funnily enough no one offered rooms to the poor homeless families or the traveller family on the side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

mikecope wrote: »
    I usually give them a few bob, as they say, "there but for the grace of God go I".
    So do I. At least it isnt squandered by some professional charity worker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

To be honest if I am in the city, which is rare these days as it's a kip, I completely blank out the homeless/beggars. If they approach me I just look through them as if they don't exist and ignore them. More should be done to get them out of the city where they are annoying people and tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Hohos more like..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Edgware wrote: »
    Havent you a spare room to give them or is it taken up with one of the refugees?
    Joe Duffy was inundated with people offering rooms to the poor Syrian refugees last year. Funnily enough no one offered rooms to the poor homeless families or the traveller family on the side of the road

Is that not a conversation separate to the issue of homelessness?

To be honest if I am in the city, which is rare these days as it's a kip, I completely blank out the homeless/beggars. If they approach me I just look through them as if they don't exist and ignore them. More should be done to get them out of the city where they are annoying people and tourists.

You can't sit in an outdoor beer garden in Dublin city centre any more. You'll be asked probably 20 times in a night for spare change, a cigarette etc. The usual long drawn out story about how they need to catch a train to Waterford and just need their fare etc. I remember walking down James' Street a couple of months ago and a woman approached me and asked, "sorry love can I just ask for your help?" and I just said no and kept walking. Immediately, I felt guilty, thinking she could have been genuinely stuck for something. I felt bad about it for a good while. A few months later, I was walking down the same stretch and saw her approaching someone else with the same line. Guilt be gone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Edgware wrote: »
    or the traveller family on the side of the road

in their 191 cars and vans :rolleyes:

Homer wrote: »
    in their 191 cars and vans :rolleyes:

You're not allowed mention that, it's racist :o

Advertisement