Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hacking Tools For Wood Hackers?

Options
  • 12-06-2020 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

:) I'm absolutely Horrible with wood. Ok? I make a mean nest box. But, that's my limit. Screwing planks to planks epitomises my level of finesse.

Now, I need to make a 'box frame'. Is that what ye'd call it? A 2x2" frame, like the skeleton of a box. To cover in wire mesh. And I haven't got a cellophane rat in hells chance of making Any form of joints. Trust me on this :o

But, I'm pretty sure I've seen these jigs before? Allow ye to drill in, at angles? Dunno. Can't remember the details. Hoping someone here can please point me at Amazon? Some idiot proof way of getting screws in the right places to hold the wood together?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

It's okay, lads ~ I reckon I've cracked it! :D

This is the thing I was thinking of:Pocket Hole Jig. But, it seems it's more for 'plank' wood, ironically. Posh plank work.

This guy though puts on a sterling demo of how he puts a frame together. I reckon even I can adopt / adapt his basic methodology. Love the little jigs he sets up too! :)

Accent's hard work, for my ears, bless him. But, I'll be studying this vid till I get it down.

Anyone got any other constructive tips to throw in? I'll be listening :cool:

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Pocket hole jig isn't necessary for something like a box frame covered in wire mesh - it's more used for cheap joints from the 'back' of the joint (e.g. inside table frames) where you don't want the screw heads or holes to be visible on the outside.

The video pretty much tells you how do to what you want from start to finish - no jigs needed. Just make sure all your timber is cut to the correct length, otherwise your frame won't square up, drill your pilot holes straight and not too close to any edges of the timber, and make sure your screws don't hit each other where thy lap in the corners. Wood glue on the joints certainly wouldn't hurt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Timber the right length? Yeah! Amazon told me, yesterday, the stand for my new mitre / chop saw if Finally on its way!

I feel it's all coming together! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I like his accent! And that is a very clear and detailed description.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

looksee wrote: »
    I like his accent! And that is a very clear and detailed description.

He is having alot of pisses:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement