Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting Room - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Luck at the bright side lads, the Garda College has no students any more. Everyone has been promoted to gardai. They have to call more people, right?

You do realise the college is shut now for the forseeable and when it does open those guards have to go back to finish training? There likely won't be anybody new taken in this year atall so anyone with a safe job atm do not be burning bridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Esso1991

Folks, long time reader but first time poster. My own story is that I am from the 2019 campaign. PCT, medical and meeting with Segeant complete since late last year. I am still waiting on a meeting with the Super, but I doubt this will be happening anytime soon given the current situation. I was really hoping to make the April/May intake and was very dissapointed when I heard Templemore was closing, at the same time I understand that these are unprecendented times.

My own two cents, for what it is worth.
    - Templemore has been TEMPORARILY closed. Funding was granted to recruit 700 Gardai in 2020. So unless the Government look for this money back (possible), or AGS use it for other purpose (also possible), then recruitment should continue once the Covid-19 crisis is under control, 2019 recruitment could be pushed into 2021 and beyond.
    - I see that as of today AGS are close to the target of 15k sworn members. This is largely due to students being fast tracked and retirements being defferred. c.300 personnel leave AGS in any given year. I wouldnt worry too much about this, the numbers of sworn members will drop again once Covid-19 is under control. There will be recruitment for as long as there is a commitment to increase the number of sworn members to 15k, and the funds available to do so.
    - A 2020 recruitment campaign is largely dependant on the economy. Personally I dont think its going to happen.

My advice to those still in the process, like myself. Stay positive, keep the fitness up, and dont put your life on hold because we dont know how long this will go on for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭dublin2000A

im from 2018 campaign and 197 on the oom, still waiting for vetting to come back, Since my application began ive turned 36 and im wondering if my age is playing a part in their consideration. My medical and Superintendant interview both took place in May 2019 and literally nothing back off them since :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Stretch1432

im from 2018 campaign and 197 on the oom, still waiting for vetting to come back, Since my application began ive turned 36 and im wondering if my age is playing a part in their consideration. My medical and Superintendant interview both took place in May 2019 and literally nothing back off them since :-(

Shouldnt be you were the right age when you applied . Im 33 myself . Not our fault they are slow as a wet week.
    I did hear people who were over the age when they got the call up and were told they were too old but they went to court and got the decision overturned

the fear is ive heard from a few people (37 and 38 year olds) that they don't reject your application they just kick it down the road until you get sick of waiting! they know they cant discriminate because of age so they just dont give you an answer. this is obviously not confirmed but a few high level Garda friends of mine have said the panel arent too keen on people on the borderline of being too old

• Advertisement

the fear is ive heard from a few people (37 and 38 year olds) that they don't reject your application they just kick it down the road until you get sick of waiting! they know they cant discriminate because of age so they just dont give you an answer. this is obviously not confirmed but a few high level Garda friends of mine have said the panel arent too keen on people on the borderline of being too old

Ye thats typical of what they would do

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangahead16

That’s a fear of mine
    I’m 34 and passed interview start of the month
    Then everything halted because of the virus 🦠 naturally
    I would hate to age out because of the delay or stop of recruitment .
    But given that I applied at the correct time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

form b is out guys, good sign they still continuing the vetting

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

Jaymc1 wrote: »
    form b is out guys, good sign they still continuing the vetting

Thats the job! When did you have the interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Thats the job! When did you have the interview?

Interview early this year , under no illusions that all is back on track but it’s a good sign all is not halted as such

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 lg.cardonha

I will be 36 in June. Better stay positive.

Is anyone currently filling out form B?
    Who did ye put down as general references
    For persons in the authority?. ie former employers current employers priest etc
    Which would be best thanks

Is anyone currently filling out form B?
    Who did ye put down as general references
    For persons in the authority?. ie former employers current employers priest etc
    Which would be best thanks

I put down my principal from school, employer, Garda friends of mine and a local county Councillor that I knew. They rang everybody, be sure to give them a heads up to expect a call

Thanks
    A good friend of mine is a Garda might put him down too

• Registered Users Posts: 31 papster97

Have the people who were due to be part of the April intake received an email to say it has been postponed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 12234

papster97 wrote: »
    Have the people who were due to be part of the April intake received an email to say it has been postponed?

I received an email on the 13th of March saying the induction in April may be delayed. No update since.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

I’m hoping there’ll be another campaign because there’s only 12,051 guards. So they’ll need another 2950 trainees to enter the college. So here’s hoping guys! Looks like this will be our last chance till god knows when .

The only hope we have is if they find a vaccine soon. Then things can hopefully get back to normal.

The only hope we have is if they find a vaccine soon. Then things can hopefully get back to normal.

I seen on the rte news website this morning an article about a vaccine and that 18 months would be an optimistic outcome for having a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dubmay2018

Hi guys. Apologies if this question has been already asked on the other Garda threads, but do any of you know if vetting for Garda trainees is still continuing or has it come to a halt for the time being with all that is going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Kerry0108

Dubmay2018 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Apologies if this question has been already asked on the other Garda threads, but do any of you know if vetting for Garda trainees is still continuing or has it come to a halt for the time being with all that is going on?
    Hi ,

It is all going to continue, Rang about this last week and was told everything will continue in the background

I seen on the rte news website this morning an article about a vaccine and that 18 months would be an optimistic outcome for having a vaccine.

Hopefully . I also hope there wont be a big recession and then there is no recruitment at all.

Hopefully . I also hope there wont be a big recession and then there is no recruitment at all.

I know yeah, at least we are not dependent on a property boom to keep the country going and as it was said we were financially strong before this started so hopefully we will pick up where we left off. It's great to hear the vetting is going on in the background. If there was no virus and it was business as usual we would be going daft waiting for offers and wondering why vetting is outstanding so I think its mighty that all that waiting is now out of our control. All this will pass and before we know it there will be a ball of us in templemore for inductions.... well fingers crossed anyways!

Hi all
    Quick question What software did ye use for to send off your FORM B
    I’m sending it as a single pdf attachment
    I’m having trouble with adobe acrobat
    Any help would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 4572h

Hi all just wondering has anyone contacted garda hrm about vetting or sign off lately or is there any point till this blows over thanks.

4572h wrote: »
    Hi all just wondering has anyone contacted garda hrm about vetting or sign off lately or is there any point till this blows over thanks.

Vetting is still ongoing but there will no more intakes for the foreseeable future. Just have to sit it out .

Vetting is still ongoing but there will no more intakes for the foreseeable future. Just have to sit it out .

interested to know how many people from 2018 campaign and before are still waiting for vetting to come back??

intakes are obviously on hold but any information about the recruits that were pushed through to help with the covid 19 crisis would be interesting. Will they have to go back to Templemore to complete their training or will it continue as 'on the job' with exams at the end?

I know that no body has this information but if the college fills back up again with these recruits it just kicks us down the road even longer

interested to know how many people from 2018 campaign and before are still waiting for vetting to come back??

intakes are obviously on hold but any information about the recruits that were pushed through to help with the covid 19 crisis would be interesting. Will they have to go back to Templemore to complete their training or will it continue as 'on the job' with exams at the end?

I know that no body has this information but if the college fills back up again with these recruits it just kicks us down the road even longer

The recruits who were pushed through are going to have to go back and complete their training.

Im from 2018 and iv my vetting is still incomplete.

The recruits who were pushed through are going to have to go back and complete their training.

Im from 2018 and iv my vetting is still incomplete.

I've heard too, they will all have to go back and complete. I'd love to hear what has been said to the recruits! have they been given a date to return to the college or what exactly is expected of them for the moment.

I know everything is up in the air but inside information could be useful and surely they have been told something. They've been tossed into the field with very little training, I wonder about their accommodation considering they weren't expecting this etc. They had to have been given provisions and information on their future requirements and role in AGS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Larpeyton

Is there anyone from the 2019 campaign that had to get laser done and can’t due to the corona virus? I had my medical the 27th of February and was given 6 months to get my eyes done was suppose to get it done on the 2nd of April but it was cancelled just wondering is anyone in the same boat?

Advertisement