Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage in Philippines

• 26-07-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

My friend is traveling to phillipines next week he has been seeing a girl there for some time.
    He emailed her the other day.
    He asked her just to check with the register that all the documents are in order and that nothing is outstanding.
    Shockingly after a year of complying with the requests , it now seems that his Irish passport has a slight difference in the name on the passport and the birth cert.
    All documents are genuine.
    Is there anyone in the phillipines an official that he could contact to straighten this matter out.
    It would be awful to travel all that way with wedding arranged and the big financial outlay ...

Any help . advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

It's very strange that the passport office would make such a mistake no? They have really strict rules and procedures regarding name changes?

I imagine the passport office would be the first port of call to issue an emergency passport seeing as its their mistake issuing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

It's very strange that the passport office would make such a mistake no? They have really strict rules and procedures regarding name changes?

I imagine the passport office would be the first port of call to issue an emergency passport seeing as its their mistake issuing it.

As in a lot of documents etc eg driving licences , the names may be differential ie. My name may be ....tom Seamus Brian O'Reilly.. That's baptism and confirmation names included.
    On my passport I might be ..SEAMUS BRIAN O'Reilly.
    Its correct .....but in the Philippines now they are saying the passport name is incorrect which it is not.
    If the passport re issue , I would imagine it will be the same as the one I have ...a copy of the one he supplied to the registrar in phillapibes?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

I can't imagine it's the first time it's arisen, I would advise for your friend to be persistent that the names match, and that it is a common custom in Ireland to be known by your middle name. I'm assuming your friend got his birth first name omitted from his password due to common usage (of middle name as first name)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

love_love wrote: »
    I can't imagine it's the first time it's arisen, I would advise for your friend to be persistent that the names match, and that it is a common custom in Ireland to be known by your middle name. I'm assuming your friend got his birth first name omitted from his password due to common usage (of middle name as first name)?

Yes absolutely correct.. But it only arose as an issue when his wife to be called to the registrar office the other day to ensure all was in order to be told about this issue. There surely must be some way of rectifying this before he travels in a week. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Yes absolutely correct.. But it only arose as an issue when his wife to be called to the registrar office the other day to ensure all was in order to be told about this issue. There surely must be some way of rectifying this before he travels in a week. Thanks

I'm sure he can sort it out when he's there. A quick google throws up the Irish consulate in Philippines, give him the address to attend when he arrives.

He should also be able to figure out relevant authorities to contact here before he arrives? Perhaps he needs to visit a Solictor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 Yellowboglady

He could ask Passport office to issue a passport history letter if he ever held a passport in the exact same as what is on birth cert. This is a common enough request. This letter will then need to be apostilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

Has he left Ireland yet? I would be going into the passport office here in Ireland to try and get a passport issued with his first name on his passport. If he is there I would be getting onto the Irish embassy over there asap.

I haven't been to the Philippines, but when I was in Malaysia my cards were stole and my family sent me money by western union. They sent it without using my middle name. They wouldn't give me the money, as my middle name is on my passport and they insisted I must be a different person! I tried to explain that I don't use my middle name and that would be very common in Ireland, they said that in Malaysia they use all their name.

Advertisement