Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Air Fryer XL £159

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ordered... I have the standard digital one years but I thought it was dead a few weeks ago after cleaning it and the bottom is partly melted after getting too close to the hob one time so I might as well just update :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Have the xxl version and can really recommend, one of the the best things I've bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Finally took the plunge on one of these. Kitchen real estate is becoming scarce in my house tbh, herself won't be impressed prob, but until she starts doing the cooking, the kitchen is my responsibility. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

McMurphy wrote: »
    Finally took the plunge on one of these. Kitchen real estate is becoming scarce in my house tbh, herself won't be impressed prob, but until she starts doing the cooking, the kitchen is my responsibility. :)

Once you start using it , you'll wonder how you ever coped without one .

My missus was sceptical at first , now the oven is mostly reduntant with the airfryer

• Registered Users Posts: 39 InDarkWoods

What kind of stuff do you normally cook? We are thinking of getting one, but we use the pan and oven a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭EletricMan

Much of a difference between this and the xxl? Was watching the xxl but no movement on price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What kind of stuff do you normally cook? We are thinking of getting one, but we use the pan and oven a lot.

Chicken, veg, breakfast, burgers, fries, anything you can think of really, mine gets used at least 4 days a week....

The pan only gets used for eggs these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

I have the XL version. Is it worthwhile upgrading to the XXL version?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

EletricMan wrote: »
    Much of a difference between this and the xxl? Was watching the xxl but no movement on price

xxl little bigger basket, wider and taller. Don't need to preheat it while you do with the xl, nicer controls, not really sure what else.

Can have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOaLTRSBbwg

The xxl version is about £80 more -surely it cant be worth upgrading .

• Advertisement

honda boi wrote: »
    I have the XL version. Is it worthwhile upgrading to the XXL version?

I personally wouldn't upgrade if I had the smaller one, unless you are having space limitations and it's annoying. They are fairly similar.

Just looking abit further into the size aspect.

This is the origianl machine I bought . Still for sale at £250 :eek:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BS97UUA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My older one holds 3 litres , the newer one (about same diminsions) hold 7 litres.

That is a big upgrade in cappacity and I found the original plenty adequate for a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Its mega for chips.

I always peel and chop the spuds, give them a really good wash, dry them in a tea towel, then put into a pyrex dish with some olive oil, cover with cliing film, then bung in the microwave for 5/6 minutes.
    They'll come out softish, spread them out on a baking tray and let cool.

then bung them in the airfryer for super crispy, fluffy chips with those delicious edgy bits.

It's alot I know, but the only extra step is the microwave/cooling piece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭crushproof

Its mega for chips.

I always peel and chop the spuds, give them a really good wash, dry them in a tea towel, then put into a pyrex dish with some olive oil, cover with cliing film, then bung in the microwave for 5/6 minutes.
    They'll come out softish, spread them out on a baking tray and let cool.

then bung them in the airfryer for super crispy, fluffy chips with those delicious edgy bits.

It's alot I know, but the only extra step is the microwave/cooling piece

I'll doing this tonight! Cheers, can never perfect chips in our air fryer.

I find it great for steak as well , so handy .

The only thing it doesnt cook well, is mushrooms :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm a bit sceptical but friends have raving about air fryers for a while now so gone ahead and ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

I've had the older model of the Philips XL for the past 2 years and have used it almost every day in that time.

My GF was skeptical when I first bought it but now she loves it and has bought the same model for her mother.

It's a great piece of kit, the only downside being that cleaning it is a bit gross (if you are lazy like me and don't do it frequently enough!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

We have two of the standard size airfryers and they're always on the go . Bought em for sub £60 each a good few years back when black friday actually did have deals

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

this or the Ninja multi-cooker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Smurts

My XL has already shipped, would have went for the Xxl 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Did likewise thanks for the heads up. Is the XXL much bigger or is it bigger capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

It says usually dispatched in 1 to 2 months. Customs might be an issue if it arrived after Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

bromley52 wrote: »
    It says usually dispatched in 1 to 2 months. Customs might be an issue if it arrived after Dec.

This has changed in the last hour. My order has expected delivery date of Dec 14th

This has changed in the last hour. My order has expected delivery date of Dec 14th

When I ordered mine I got it due the 4th, my XL I ordered last night had a longer date.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

EletricMan wrote: »

Ordered the XXL thanks. Was too late to cancel the XL as they say already dispatched...so have to refuse delivery or return it.

Or if someone missed deal and wants the XL for the price I paid (£161), PM me.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    You need to use some spray oil on the mushrooms first or sometimes I lay some rashers over a bed of mushrooms

I tried the spray oil but the mushrooms are never great . It is the one time I have to get the frying pan out.

Everything else is horsed into the airfryer with great results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

Barr wrote: »
    I tried the spray oil but the mushrooms are never great . It is the one time I have to get the frying pan out.

Everything else is horsed into the airfryer with great results.

What about fried eggs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

We have the original XL for three years, family of five. I honestly don’t know what we would do without it. It’s used every day, sometimes a couple of times a day. Best kitchen gadget we have ever bought by a mile. They are expensive but for the usage it gets here it’s great value. We have a pantry off the kitchen where it’s kept and used so counter space not an issue.

I’m hoping to get another year out of the one I have and will probably have to upgrade next year, will probably go with the XXL if it’s reduced then.

Some extended family have cheaper alternative versions but they don’t compare to the Philips XL in terms of cooking times and ease of cleaning etc. Maybe some of the newer alternatives are better but I’ll be sticking with what I know.

Advertisement