Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden Horn v Gleneagles

• 17-08-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Who wins Wednesday lads.

Fancy Gleneagles myself, think he will relish the step up to 10 furlongs and Golden Horn looks more like a 12f horse to me, took him an age to hit top gear in the Eclipse. Gleneagles will have him dead and buried a furlong out I reckon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I really find it hard to see Gleneagles winning. Him brushing aside TGG in the Eclipse us the best bit of 10f form out there in my opinion and while Gleneagles might well be as effective over 10, there is an equal chance he will not. We know Golden Horn will stay and should win on all known form.

Whatever Time Test is doing ahead of TheGrey Gatsby in the market is the real mystery to me. Punting wise might do something with TGG but mainly just excited to see the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

I believe GOLDEN HORN has now been withdrawn which if true is an awful pity. Would love to know the Real reason why !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

gazza1 wrote: »
    I believe GOLDEN HORN has now been withdrawn which if true is an awful pity. Would love to know the Real reason why !!
    You making up your own rumours? Nothing on Twitter so far which would usually be 1st for breaking news!

The Mig wrote: »
    You making up your own rumours? Nothing on Twitter so far which would usually be 1st for breaking news!

No....ive just been told and not sure if its true which is why i said IF TRUE !! in my post
    gl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

just been told by who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 kinanoman

I think Time Test will come on again from his Ascot victory, definately wouldn't rule him out

just been told by who?

I have to apologise. I was told by a friend of mine. ive checked everywhere and it looks like a load of crap. It wasnt my intention to start anything falsely and im sorry for doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I will be keeping an eye on any specials - if I can get close to even money on Golden Horn, I will be getting on as much as I can. Connections aren't spending a small fortune on supplementing a pacemaker for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Golden Horn has drifted a fair bit in the market from 4to9 to 8to11. Any reason for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Golden Horn has drifted a fair bit in the market from 4to9 to 8to11. Any reason for that?

Ground coming right for Gleneagles? He would have been a doubtful runner if there was any rain or watering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The thing with Gleneagles is that he just does enough in his races, he had an absolute tonne left in the tank when he won the James Palace stakes. They havent got to the bottom of him yet and being by Galileo he will stay the 10f no concern about the trip for me. Golden Horn is a top top horse no doubt about it but I think Gleneagles will have too much speed for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

The trip won't be an issue for Gleneagles as he's a Galileo who stayed a mile at the Curragh with a bit of cut in the ground. The whole thing about Gleneagles just doing enough is a lot to do with Coolmore hyping up their horse I think. The exact same could be said about Golden Horn. He looks to have has plenty of speed to me and with a decent gallop guaranteed by the pacemaker I'd be surprised to see him beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Golden horn is a big price even at 4/6 to my eyes. If he was an O' Brien inmate with the hype machine behind him he'd be getting talked up as one of the all time greats and be going off about 1/3 or 2/7 and although i don't think he's in the Sea the Stars and Frankel bracket i think this boy is special.
    I'll be sitting tight and waiting to see if i can get a bit bigger price although i mightn't get it. i think about 1/2 is about the fair price or even a tad shorter. As a wise man once said,it's time to bet like men.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭WearstheFoxhat

Will Golden Horn make the running? Gleneagles sit back and pounce late?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Will Golden Horn make the running? Gleneagles sit back and pounce late?

Gosden's supplemented Dick Doughtywylie to pacemake and make it a proper test at a cost of 75k. I would've given Gleneagles a chance if GH had to do the spadework himself but he won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I want to know where Endless Drama is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

The 12/1 about the Great Gatsby is pure silliness. Its not my kind of bet but it will take a huge leap of faith for him not to be in the first 3 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

aidankkk wrote: »
    The 12/1 about the Great Gatsby is purs. Its not my kind of bet but it will take a huge leap of faith for him not to be in the first 3 here.
    Horse for courses, both he and Golden Horn are proven at York over the trip. TGG is a limited enough horse who has gone backwards this year, but all it'll take for him to make the frame is for one of the big 3 to not be quite as good on the day as they're supposed to be.

If Time Test has the gears his reputation imply he has then he'll make the frame. If it wasn't for Time Test's modest trainer I'd dismiss his chances outright, but you can't dismiss a trainer like Roger Charlton when he thinks he has something special.

Golden Horn is the best that John Gosden has trained, he's more of a 12f horse but good enough to win at this 10.5f, the extra half furlong really playing to his strengths. He has been caught for pace at around the 9-10f mark in his last two starts, once he gets going he's almost unbeatable.

Gleneagles bare form isn't good enough, he's bred for further than a mile and O'Brien has been fortunate that he hasn't come up against a crack miler. This is his ideal trip, he's going to love the strong pace of the race and if he gets into a ding dong battle at the line he's going to win it. He's pure Giants Causeway in nature and breeding, the problem for him is that Golden Horn is a better horse on the book than Giants Causeway was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Gerlad

I think its madness that Joseph is trying to do 8 12 to ride Gleneagles. I thought 9 stone was his absolute minimum and I don't think he has ridden less than 9 3 this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

was going to back Gleneagles, but won't if Joey is riding at that weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

was going to back Gleneagles, but won't if Joey is riding at that weight.

Stick Seamie on and let him go..

JOB must be putting himself through some heartship to get that weight off

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭DylanAFC

Stick Seamie on and let him go..

JOB must be putting himself through some heartship to get that weight off

He had a good winner in the states Saturday night. Give him the ride on Gleneagles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Themonkey

gleneagles out pity were will he go now ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Themonkey wrote: »
    gleneagles out pity were will he go now ???

Out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I think they are all in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

Gleneagles at 5/1 has to be the value bet at this stage. Didnt think I would see that price. Money back as a free bet if second with PP as well. Have had a score for interest.

Hope its the race we all think it could be.

Has Gleneagles lost a leg? 5/1 is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Gerlad wrote: »
    I think its madness that Joseph is trying to do 8 12 to ride Gleneagles. I thought 9 stone was his absolute minimum and I don't think he has ridden less than 9 3 this season.
    can he even do 9 stone now probably at least 4lb extra on gleneagles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Aidan O'Brien sitting down with the Clerk of the Course tonight to make a decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Gleneagles won't run I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Presume its NRNB?

qwabercd wrote: »
    Presume its NRNB?

Yeah, antepost markets are finished

Surely JOB cant make that weight. Slightly putting me off Gleneagles he is. Still cant forgive him for being a few lbs over weight on Tapestry I think in the Irish Oaks a few years back when she was just beaten a head.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭frank93

Gleneagles to win in a canter . With JOB on board with his mickey in his hand eating a loop the loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

[QUOTE=frank93; mickey in his hand .[/QUOTE]
    Is that how he make the weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Gerlad wrote: »

Racing post shows him riding at 9.0 plenty of times.

Having said that, 8-12 seems a bit much for tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

frank93 wrote: »
    Gleneagles to win in a canter . With JOB on board with his mickey in his hand eating a loop the loop.
    His mickey in his hand + eating a loop the loop? How is he going to hold the whip and the reins? Anyway Golden Horn by 3 lengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭WearstheFoxhat

gleneagles is an EW steal now @ 5/1, guaranteed place if he runs

Hopefully Gleneagles runs. Cant see why the ground should inconvience him his Dam went well with some juice in the ground and Galileo is known to produce top horses that love a bit of gd/sft

Gleneagles out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Non runner lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Johner wrote: »
    Non runner lads.
    Was he ever a realistic runner? There's a bit of a smell of bluff about the willingness of Coolmore to let this fellow take on higher rated horses. A horse as closely related to Giants Causeway as this fellow is and one who's teak tough as regards his ability to take his racing well, that kinda horse should be capable of handling a bit of give in the ground. Where's he going to find Good to firm ground between now and the end of the year?

Absolute joke of a decision.

Cosgrave is some knob

Cosgrave is some knob

Theres no way Bondi was going by Storm the Stars there.

Gringo180 wrote: »

I know, I agree. He just handled himself like a knob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Gringo180 wrote: »

He bumped him twice and carried him the width of the track.

Cosgrave was half way across before he put the whip down and tried to correct the horse.

Absolute ridiculous decision.

It's difficult to define what is a ridiculous decision these days. Is it ridiculous that you almost have to flatten the other horse to lose the race in Ireland/England or that you lose the race for very little in France and the US?

Also, 3 day ban for Cosgrave.

Delighted for Dettori :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Good man Frankie :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement