Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repossessed house - disconnected utilities

Options
  • 05-07-2017 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

I viewed a repossessed house earlier. The power is disconnected. The estate agent wasn't able to tell me how long it's been empty and just said that repossessions normally take two years. She didn't know if the gas had been disconnected. I didn't think to ask about the water. I thought she was being evasive.

I'm just reading now about esb reconnection fees and that the timeframe the house has been empty for determines what happens to reconnect and the costs. I assume there's no way I can check myself how long the esb has been disconnected but would it be reasonable to ask now prior to putting in an offer for a definite timeframe on the disconnection? Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I took down the MPRN number off the ESB box while viewing the house and rang the ESB who were really helpful and told me the electricity had been disconnected 5 years previous.
    In the end it cost us €100 to be reconnected and about a weeks wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I took down the MPRN number off the ESB box while viewing the house and rang the ESB who were really helpful and told me the electricity had been disconnected 5 years previous.
    In the end it cost us €100 to be reconnected and about a weeks wait.

Thanks - I'll see if I can organise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

CeannRua wrote:
    I'm just reading now about esb reconnection fees and that the timeframe the house has been empty for determines what happens to reconnect and the costs. I assume there's no way I can check myself how long the esb has been disconnected but would it be reasonable to ask now prior to putting in an offer for a definite timeframe on the disconnection? Thanks for reading.

If the house has been disconnected for more than 6 months you will also have to get a registered electrician to test and cert the house before the esb will reconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

There are 3 states of recconections:

Less than 6 months, find a supplier.
    6 to 24 months, find a supplier and also find an electrician to recert the house (note that they might want the house to be brought to code before certifying!!)
    more than 24 months: Its a bit more hefty:

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/reconnecting-supply
    More than two years
    If your house has been disconnected for more than two years, apply online or download the NC2 Application Form (PDF | 493KB), Connection to a Single Domestic Dwelling or Farm Premises.
    Or you can call 1850 372 757 or +353 21 2386555 if calling from outside the Republic of Ireland to request a copy. You need to complete this form and return it (together with the required location map and site plan) to the following address:

ESB Networks DAC.
    ESB Customer Services Bureau
    PO Box 29
    Garrycastle
    Athlone
    Co. Westmeath
    Ireland

A site visit may be required to assess the situation. If no additional work is required to bring the connection point up to current standards, the house can be reconnected on payment of a re-energisation charge. However, if the connection point is not up to current standards it is treated as a new connection and a new connection charge applies. You will then be issued with a quotation as a fee is payable before your house can be reconnected. You may also be required to provide ducting on the site (PDF | 1MB).
    As soon as ESB Networks installs the service and meter, ask your electrical contractor to make the electricity live at the isolator switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

We did exactly what ms2011 did, and the ESB couldn't have been more helpful. As it turned out the electricity had not been disconnected fully they only needed to get a meter reading (when we got the keys) and change of names.

• Advertisement
Advertisement