Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenant causes huge damage in just 3 weeks

Options
  • 06-01-2011 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

So here's the story. I have a rental property for the last 2 years. We did a lot of work renovating and updating when we got the property. All now furniture and fittings were installed. We rented to our first tenants in summer 08. They stayed 18mths. They left the place in November last in pristine condition. All looked good. We then rented it out in early December to a single guy. He was in the house 3 weeks when he txted to tell us he was moving out (the day before his rent was due). When we went to see the house we found that it had been trashed. 2 double begs broken. He had a dog in the house who wrecked one of the carpets, pulling at it with his paws. He ate through the lef of one of the kitchen chairs, another chair is broken, living room carpet has massive stains from spills, shower taken apart, back yard covered in dog crap... etc. etc.. It just look slike they used it as a party house for 3 weeks and have cause so much damage

As he was only in 3 weeks we hadn't even got around to registering with the PTRB - planning to do it this week.

Deposit doesn't come near covering the damage. So what should I do. I have pictures, but I am tempted to call the Guards to show them the state of the place... what do you think? Then persue him through the small claims court?

As he was only in 3 weeks and the place was in perfect nic before, can any of this be put down to wear and tear?

Advice please???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Anon1234 wrote: »
    Hi,

So here's the story. I have a rental property for the last 2 years. We did a lot of work renovating and updating when we got the property. All now furniture and fittings were installed. We rented to our first tenants in summer 08. They stayed 18mths. They left the place in November last in pristine condition. All looked good. We then rented it out in early December to a single guy. He was in the house 3 weeks when he txted to tell us he was moving out (the day before his rent was due). When we went to see the house we found that it had been trashed. 2 double begs broken. He had a dog in the house who wrecked one of the carpets, pulling at it with his paws. He ate through the lef of one of the kitchen chairs, another chair is broken, living room carpet has massive stains from spills, shower taken apart, back yard covered in dog crap... etc. etc.. It just look slike they used it as a party house for 3 weeks and have cause so much damage

As he was only in 3 weeks we hadn't even got around to registering with the PTRB - planning to do it this week.

Deposit doesn't come near covering the damage. So what should I do. I have pictures, but I am tempted to call the Guards to show them the state of the place... what do you think? Then persue him through the small claims court?

As he was only in 3 weeks and the place was in perfect nic before, can any of this be put down to wear and tear?

Advice please???

I'm not sure what the legal recourse for this is but I'd go after the guy. Might be no harm going to the Gardai and at least enquiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

the guards wont get involved in a house trashed by a party,with no proof of malicious intent and no witnesses they will probably palm you off to the civil courts or the prtb

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

First tenants were there 18 months from Summer 2008 until November 2009 and the second guy moved in the next month (over a year ago) or is there a year missing somewhere?

The guards probably won't care but the small claims court might be a good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

... the small claims court might be a good bet.

I didn't think that this would come under their remit?

"consumer claims"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

The gaurds wont get involved in a 'civil' matter, but call them if it gives you some piece of mind.

Also as far as i know you it doesnt come under the remit of the small claims court, as all that is replaced by the prtb. Not 100% certain but all the info is there on the web.

Unfortunitly this happens all the time, and its very hard to have any recourse against such a tenant. As heart breaking as it is, it is sometimes better to cut your losses fix the place up and forget about him.

You could in future ask for one and half months deposit or 2, but this will most likely be off putting to prospective tenants... as it is alot of cash upfront.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

We rented to our first tenants in summer 08. They stayed 18mths....

...snip...

I don't understand this. Were you registered with the PTRB during the previous 18 month tenancy?

Have you been declaring taxable income to Revenue?

I assume he means registering the new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Ah, I see, thanks BostonB

That just a guess. Doesn't really matter though. Its cheaper to do nothing than chase the tenant, who probably has no money anyway, and the LL would end up paying his own court/solicitor costs. Tenant knows this, which is why they do it. There is no protection for the LL against this, unless you take 2 or 3 months rent as deposit. Even then, they might not pay for 6 months and do the same damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Anon1234

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice all.. to clarify a few of the posts... it was a typo on the first tennants... they were summer 09 to nov 10 - they were registered with the PTBR and we are fully tax compliant... next clients moved in a few weeks later - early dec.... we hadn't got round to registering them yet.

I have certainly learned a valuable lesson in all this... i'm gutted by it.... but sounds like i'm going to have to carry the can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice all.. to clarify a few of the posts... it was a typo on the first tennants... they were summer 09 to nov 10 - they were registered with the PTBR and we are fully tax compliant... next clients moved in a few weeks later - early dec.... we hadn't got round to registering them yet.

I have certainly learned a valuable lesson in all this... i'm gutted by it.... but sounds like i'm going to have to carry the can.

I've been a perfect tennant for nearly 10 years at this stage. 2 noise complaints which was when I let my sister and her friends stay over and another was from a housemate acting the arse, All bill paid in full, full rent paid all on time.

I would never ever be a landlord though! Don't care how much I would make, the hardship just isn't worth it, I'd sooner lose all my money on the stock market or make less through a savings account. I don't envy you at all.

Hi all,

As problems go, very annoying and stressful, but not a massive loss in the grand scheme of things. I know someone who's got a tenant not paying rent for 3+ months, and is determined to stay and not pay rent, even changing the locks to prevent the LL access. Threshold advised the tenant it would take the landlord months to get them evicted. The system is broken and it will all end in tears.

BostonB wrote: »
    As problems go, very annoying and stressful, but not a massive loss in the grand scheme of things. I know someone who's got a tenant not paying rent for 3+ months, and is determined to stay and not pay rent, even changing the locks to prevent the LL access. Threshold advised the tenant it would take the landlord months to get them evicted. The system is broken and it will all end in tears.

the system is definately stacked heavily in favour of the tenant ,"legally" they can stay as long as they like whether they have money or not

there are plenty of legal ways to get rid of a problem tenant,you just need to be smart about it and beat them at their own game

everyone has their breaking point ,if you push them past this they will see you are not a soft touch and they will be happy to move before things get more unpleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

OP, report the tenant to the Gardai for causing criminal & wanton damage. They will have to do the needful if you follow that route.

delllat wrote: »
    there are plenty of legal ways to get rid of a problem tenant,you just need to be smart about it and beat them at their own game...

For example?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

If it was me I'd probably threaten the tenant to take him to court and maybe get a solicitors letter. Wouldn't cost too much and might pressurise him enough to pay up. Mightn't work but could be worth a shot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

OP, this might be some sort of solution. As so much of the furniture has been destroyed you might look into just getting rid of it and renting it unfurnished.

There seem to be quite a lot of people who would prefer an unfurnished rental. (It's certainly my preference - just because it's not right for me to buy a house right now doesn't mean I don't want to sleep in my own, specially chosen bed.) So you wouldn't have to drop the monthly rent but you wouldn't have the outlay of replacing the furniture.

You are more likely to get a longer term tenant as people with their own furniture are more likely to look for something that bit more permanent. People with furniture are also unlikely to be careless, party people. And you don't have to worry about replacing the furniture whenever something breaks or about cleaning upholstery between tenants.

It wouldn't hurt to advertise it as unfurnished to get an idea of the response and if you get decent interest you could sell whatever furniture you have in the house that hasn't been trashed and put the cost toward replacing the fixtures which need placing.

Interesting idea. I don't think its very common. Has anyone any experience of letting/renting an unfurnished property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

iguana wrote: »
    OP, this might be some sort of solution. As so much of the furniture has been destroyed you might look into just getting rid of it and renting it unfurnished.

There seem to be quite a lot of people who would prefer an unfurnished rental. (It's certainly my preference - just because it's not right for me to buy a house right now doesn't mean I don't want to sleep in my own, specially chosen bed.) So you wouldn't have to drop the monthly rent but you wouldn't have the outlay of replacing the furniture.

You are more likely to get a longer term tenant as people with their own furniture are more likely to look for something that bit more permanent. People with furniture are also unlikely to be careless, party people. And you don't have to worry about replacing the furniture whenever something breaks or about cleaning upholstery between tenants.

It wouldn't hurt to advertise it as unfurnished to get an idea of the response and if you get decent interest you could sell whatever furniture you have in the house that hasn't been trashed and put the cost toward replacing the fixtures which need placing.

+1. I moved over with the contents of my home, all of which is in good condition. I'm renting furnished, but would much prefer unfurnished as I can move in my own belongings. It's nice to sleep in your own bed, and wash your clothes in your own washing machine. You know the history of the items, and take care of them (I assume!), so you're more likely to take care of the house. IMO, these kind of tenants are a better bet as they tend to be more long-term. It's a shame there's doesn't seem to be a lot of good-quality unfurnished property to rent.

BostonB wrote: »
    For example?

make their life unpleasant (legally) ;)

ring someone like viper debt collection or some other nasty fxxcker and offer them a grand to speak to the tenant about paying up and/or moving out

nobody wants martin foley and his mates calling around for a chat and AFAIK his service is legal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

make their life unpleasant (legally) ;)

ring someone like viper debt collection or some other nasty fxxcker and offer them a grand to speak to the tenant about paying up and/or moving out

nobody wants martin foley and his mates calling around for a chat and AFAIK his service is legal
    Lets not go there.

Victor wrote: »
    Lets not go there.

just a suggestion :D

its a very long and expensive road to get someone out by the book if they decide to abuse the current system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Were you aware that he had a dog?

Realistically, I would be just glad that he is gone. Most of those things can be fixed. Carpet cleaned, dog sh1t cleaned up, etc. It's not an issue for the Gardai anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

+1. I moved over with the contents of my home, all of which is in good condition. I'm renting furnished, but would much prefer unfurnished as I can move in my own belongings. It's nice to sleep in your own bed, and wash your clothes in your own washing machine. You know the history of the items, and take care of them (I assume!), so you're more likely to take care of the house. IMO, these kind of tenants are a better bet as they tend to be more long-term. It's a shame there's doesn't seem to be a lot of good-quality unfurnished property to rent.

Agree in principle, but few can afford to buy - or the moving costs.

But bad tenants? Oh my... We took this house knowing it was partly furnished. It had been empty a while and they were not going to let it again, but we have some special needs and the setting etc ws fine for us.

They gutted the kitchen and bathroom and repaced the door ( only the one door in the place) and left us to decide what furniture we wanted o keep. Every piece had been damaged; or messed up with felt tip pens. Scrawls all over the shutters.. obviously because it wasn;t their furniture there was no pride in it.

But in other places we have been left with .. junk as furniture, you see adverts for such marked "suitable for rentals.."

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

I moved to Ireland from Canada with a container load of my own furniture as I owned a house there. Ridiculously difficult to find an unfurnished place in Ireland...and yes there is (I think) an untapped market for it. Or at least part furnished.

I moved to Ireland from Canada with a container load of my own furniture as I owned a house there. Ridiculously difficult to find an unfurnished place in Ireland...and yes there is (I think) an untapped market for it. Or at least part furnished.

We didn't come quite as far, but we brought a lot of our own furniture back from London with us and got our landlord to agree to remove everything we didn't want. There is definitely a market for unfurnished, especially as it's becoming more common for people who are trading up, to sell their original home first and rent for a while before buying again. Or for people who can't sell to rent their property while renting a bigger home for themselves. Often they will still want to keep their own bed/couch/dining-table for themselves.

We didn't come quite as far, but we brought a lot of our own furniture back from London with us and got our landlord to agree to remove everything we didn't want. There is definitely a market for unfurnished, especially as it's becoming more common for people who are trading up, to sell their original home first and rent for a while before buying again. Or for people who can't sell to rent their property while renting a bigger home for themselves. Often they will still want to keep their own bed/couch/dining-table for themselves.

thats a good point ,some people will point blank refuse to sleep in a bed that god knows how many people have slept in before ,i met a girl who insisted on buying a new double bed for a fully furnished rented house and everybody thought she was nuts

god knows how these people survive going on holiday in hotels :rolleyes:

thats a good point ,some people will point blank refuse to sleep in a bed that god knows how many people have slept in before ,i met a girl who insisted on buying a new double bed for a fully furnished rented house and everybody thought she was nuts

god knows how these people survive going on holiday in hotels :rolleyes:

There is a big difference between a few nights in a hotel and every single night. You spend 1/3 of your life in bed, if you are only in a place for 1 year, that's 4 whole months you will spend in it. If you have a poor bed it can exacerbate back problems and interfere with your ability to sleep. I bought a specialist bed that conforms to my comfort requirements and is non-allergenic so it doesn't make my husband's eczema worse. I'm not going to spend 4 full months of every year on a 12 year old Bargaintown special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

I think unfurnished would be the right way for renting, tenant buys their own stuff then they don't have to worry about getting their deposit back for damage, same for washing machine and dryers. Landlords probably spend €2,000-€3,000(That basic €500 per bedroom x3 plus dining set and sofa plus extras) furnishing a house first time round and then more when a tenant leaves. I think if they transfered the cost to lowering the rent it would be a better situation they could lower the rent by €200 per month(€2,400 per year)

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    I think unfurnished would be the right way for renting, tenant buys their own stuff then they don't have to worry about getting their deposit back for damage, same for washing machine and dryers. Landlords probably spend €2,000-€3,000(That basic €500 per bedroom x3 plus dining set and sofa plus extras) furnishing a house first time round and then more when a tenant leaves. I think if they transfered the cost to lowering the rent it would be a better situation they could lower the rent by €200 per month(€2,400 per year)

theyre only going to spend that €2000-€3000 on the first year

beds/sofa/dining table/chairs/washing machine and fridge would hopefully have a life cycle of 3 to 5 years

you are going to lose some % of prospective tenants by not offering a furnished house
    i would like to buy 2 identical houses and test it out for a year but ive always imagined that a furnished house would be more "rentable"

Advertisement