Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visitor to IEC or Express Entry?

Options
  • 27-03-2017 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a question on the best route to take with regards my Visa application. I have an SO in Canada who is Canadian. We are not married and I'm Irish. I've visited a number of times, always a tourist and once or twice with a work permit (Issued by my Irish employer who has a Canadian subsidiary)

I'd like to make the move to Canada but likewise, I'd rather not spend months sitting here in Ireland if I did not need to. Hence, is the following possible:

Travel to Canada as a Visitor and stay on a Visitor Visa (I have no intention of working during this time as I'll be taking a career break)

While in Canada, on a visitor visa, apply for a IEC.

In short, can one apply for a IEC while in Canada on a visitor visa?

Alternatively, am I in a better position to make a more positive move and apply to Express Entry? I believe given my work experience and education I would be highly scored.

Any insight appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

I think your best option would be to apply for the IEC while still in Ireland as you need to be able to gather the relevant information such as the Garda cert and they are only valid for so long. I am not certain of the turn around times in being granted the IEC but some people have it in a matter of weeks and not months.

You could always travel to Canada in the meantime and then flagpole to start your visa.

To score high in the express entry, I think you need to have 12 months Canadian work experience in one of the relevant areas. After a year working on the IEC visa you would be in a great position to apply for it. You also need to factor in the language tests that are required. I believe the hold them in UCD in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

To follow up the thread, I applied for an IEC. I applied in Late March, was invited at the start of April and was approved the first week of May. So, all told, about 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

That's fantastic news! How long now till you make the move over?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ace_irl wrote: »
    That's fantastic news! How long now till you make the move over?

Probably in the Autumn. I intend to spend some time travelling without working, so I am hoping to avoid using the permit until such time as I'm set to work again.

I should have added, the IEC invite is valid for one year e.g. If you receive permission to apply, you can apply at any point up to a year later.

Advertisement