Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slaughter query

Options
  • 20-03-2019 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

My stock bull has turned wicked and I have booked him for slaughter. I have just checked his card and he is out of test will I have to test him before slaughter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

grassroot1 wrote: »
    My stock bull has turned wicked and I have booked him for slaughter. I have just checked his card and he is out of test will I have to test him before slaughter?

will not have to be tested going for slaughter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

I always thought that an animal had to be within the 12 month TB test when sent to a factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

tanko wrote: »
    I always thought that an animal had to be within the 12 month TB test when sent to a factory.

i would not b 100% sure but i think they can be sent for slaughter
    but not to mart or farm to farm im sure someone will know here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Think cattle can be slaughter up to 18 months on a test, but your herd may become restricted depending on the % of other cattle that are in your herd that are out of test. But you would just have to have a full clear test then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

95% sure it's 18 months. If someone else could confirm that random memory of mine though that'd be great! But it might call a test down upon you if the whole herd is out of test.
    Think vets can cert them as wicked/dangerous & get them sent off too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I am due a herd test mid April but to be honest I dont want this joker around any longer. I will check with the DVO. Young bull bought him last year but he has turned in the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Sent a cow to factory lately. 2 months out of test. No issue.
    I thought I was been clever and saving on the cost of the test to get her sold at the mart however she made 250 less than her comrades that went through the ring.
    I was cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Sent a cow to factory lately. 2 months out of test. No issue.

The local DVO here wouldn't be too happy if the yearly round test wasn't done within a week or so of last test,letters galore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I am due a herd test mid April but to be honest I dont want this joker around any longer. I will check with the DVO. Young bull bought him last year but he has turned in the last 2 weeks.

If he's dangerous there should be no issue as going for slaughter, best to ring them anyway to explain he is too dangerous to handle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mooooo wrote: »
    If he's dangerous there should be no issue as going for slaughter, best to ring them anyway to explain he is too dangerous to handle

Let the lairage staff know too.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If your herd is in test but he is not you can get him slaughtered.

Slava Ukrainii

Herd test done here same week every year. However if you purchase an animal it doesn’t necessary mean that’s it’s test date will be in sync with your herd.

Herd test done here same week every year. However if you purchase an animal it doesn’t necessary mean that’s it’s test date will be in sync with your herd.

greysides wrote:
    Let the lairage staff know too.

That was the first thing I said to the agent.

Spoke with DVO I am clear to slaughter him thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭QA1

Spoke with DVO I am clear to slaughter him thankfully

once your herd is in 12 months test and less than 20 % of your herd out of test
    you can slaughter upto 18 months out of test
    if more than 20% of your herd are out of 12 months test or slaughter an animal more than 18 months out of test you are locked up until you test everything

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

QA1 wrote: »
    once your herd is in 12 months test and less than 20 % of your herd out of test
    you can slaughter upto 18 months out of test
    if more than 20% of your herd are out of 12 months test or slaughter an animal more than 18 months out of test you are locked up until you test everything

"18 months out of test" ie tested 30 months ago or tested 18 months ago?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭QA1

greysides wrote: »
    "18 months out of test" ie tested 30 months ago or tested 18 months ago?

18 months ago

Thanks. That sounds more reasonable.

Adam Grant

Advertisement