Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locating the source of pipes and electrics in garden

• 19-03-2019 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi
    we moved into a house in 2017 and I'm finally getting around to tackling the back garden properly. At the back right there is a pipe coming out of the ground and there is also a socket which has been taped up. I have no idea where either of these are run from in the house but I want to get them tidied away as I have two smallies who will no doubt want to investigate! Is it a case of getting a plumber and electrician in to seal them properly or do they need to know where they are coming from in the house?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

Pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mad m wrote: »
    Pics?

Probably for an oil tank since removed.and pump.

Read the fuse board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

I took a few photos but unfortunately only one was small enough to post on here. I'm thinking there might have been a water feature up there but I didn't think of an oil tank. I'll check the fuse box, thanks for the tip

Hi again, I checked the fuse box but there's nothing obvious there. It turns out it wasn't a socket at the back (it was covered in tape so I assumed it was) but after opening it there were 4 different coloured wires in it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

useful to have that SWA cable down there, have you a garage that it comes from.
    Need to make sure the other end is done right
    show us the fuse board

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Here you go Calahonda. As for where it comes from, I've no idea! The cable just goes into the ground but no idea where it goes to in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Turn off the power to the whole house.
    Test the wire for a current.
    Wire up a light to the cables.

Turn back on the power. Assuming the light comes on then you know the cable is powered.

If its powered then gradually turn off the fuses until the light turns off. Workout if there is anything else on the same circuit as the wire.

If its on its own circuit then you can get an electrician to disconnect it.

If its not then you can buy a cable detector which will allow you to follow it back to the house. Alternatively you could just dig up the cable.

Advertisement