Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove in a Metal insulated shed

Options
  • 19-03-2019 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I want to heat my Metal 1" insulated shed but don't want loads of condensation so a std gas heater is out. I was looking at the idea of fitting a 2nd hand Stove but not sure whats involved or what it may cost besides the stove itself.
    • Do I need to go through the roof?
    • Any idea of cost of fitting\materials?
    • Is there anything I need to know in the line of pit falls?
    • Has anyone done this themselves?
    • How high does the flu need to go?
    • Is there any other options that would be cheaper?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's certainly possible and running a flue through roof or wall of the shed is routinely done, but a couple of questions to ask yourself before you do-

There is a very real fire risk, particularly if the shed is used for woodworking and if flammable dust or shavings are produced in any quantity. Blockwork is non-combustible and will resist a small fire. A metal shed will probably disintegrate after a small fire.

If you store a lot of oils/ flammable liquids or chemicals (even household paints etc), these can add significantly to the fire load in even a small building and a source of open flame could be potentially be very destructive.

A stove needs a decent length of flue to get a good draw and ensure smoke rises properly up into the atmosphere and not "hang".

I have a family member who had a woodburning stove installed in a metal clad shed, he removed it after only a couple of winters as he wasn't happy with the risk of fire (there was a lot of wood and paper waste stored in the shed also).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Infrared elec heater

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I got a heater off sheds direct give them a look they are a good heater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Unless you have access to cheap or free wood I'd be looking at heaters placed near where you're likely to work.

Stove is fantastic, but it has its own issues.

I've been toying with the idea of putting these under my bench https://www.ceramicx.com/flat-elements/

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

keithdub wrote: »

Any details, I don't want electric if possible.

• Advertisement

Have you got link for this please?

The heaters on that site burn kerosene/ paraffin so there is still a small fire risk and water vapour will be produced, also a carbon monoxide risk if inadequate ventilation/ air supply.

Anyone any idea how I can heat it and avoid condensation but not cost a fortune?

I would prefer not to use electric if possible.

Anyone use one of these?

Campingaz CR5000 Catalytic Portable Gas Heater

m8 wrote: »
    Anyone use one of these?

Campingaz CR5000 Catalytic Portable Gas Heater

No experience but I'd imagine that would be expensive to run and will still produce water vapour. The most economical way to heat a shed would probably be a wood burning stove, followed by a kerosene heater, maybe gas and finally electricity. If you want to eliminate fire risk and condensation then you're probably looking at electric. I use a small oil filled rad or a fan type heater in my small shed, but my shed is well insulated and I don't use it much in the very cold weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Any heater burning fuel will produce water vapour and CO2. A stove vents this up the chimney any other, gas, paraffin etc. whether catalytic or not will give you a condensation problem and CO if inadequate ventilation.
    I used the catalytic heater in a boat, burns cleaner than a standard heater but produces the same amount of water.
    If you have mains electric the simplest and safest is a fan heater mounted on the wall. Down side is it needs to heat all the air in the room before it will feel warm, they have a built in thermostat so will turn off once preset temperature is reached. Next is a one or two bar electric fire mounted on the wall, well away from any combustibles. Use a timer switch so it only stays on for preprogrammed amount of time.

M.T.D wrote: »
    Any heater burning fuel will produce water vapour and CO2. A stove vents this up the chimney any other, gas, paraffin etc. whether catalytic or not will give you a condensation problem and CO if inadequate ventilation.
    I used the catalytic heater in a boat, burns cleaner than a standard heater but produces the same amount of water.
    If you have mains electric the simplest and safest is a fan heater mounted on the wall. Down side is it needs to heat all the air in the room before it will feel warm, they have a built in thermostat so will turn off once preset temperature is reached. Next is a one or two bar electric fire mounted on the wall, well away from any combustibles. Use a timer switch so it only stays on for preprogrammed amount of time.

Both these options are probably the most expensive to run from what I read but thanks for the info I will take it all onboard before I go with something.

I have power but I don't want to overload the cables that were installed (not by me it was done when I was away, I would have ran a heavier cable for safety. Can't be changed now as it's under my concrete yard.).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you put in a dessicant dehumifier it will heat the room as a side-effect.

Shedsdirect.ie and they are on their page I do have a stove fan on mine and a kittle. I also got a co2 alarm beside it but they are built into the heaters. An extra bit of seafty

Just ordered an Inverter heater for them, probably best option.

Nice and safe aldi or lidl are selling stove fans pop one of them on top and your laughing

Advertisement