Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draughty pocket doors

• 14-03-2019 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭

I have pocket doors in a single story extension, block wall and slab . They are really draughty, particularly in current weather. Is this a big job to get fixed ? Who should I be looking for builder , plasterer or both ?is this a big job ?In Galway if anyone wants to pm a recommendation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I have pocket doors in a single story extension, block wall and slab . They are really draughty, particularly in current weather. Is this a big job to get fixed ? Who should I be looking for builder , plasterer or both ?is this a big job ?In Galway if anyone wants to pm a recommendation

Builder/carpenter probably .
    In order to to seal the cavity properly, the doors and frame would have to come out possibly part of the wall also to create an airtight seal around the premier of the whole unit.
    Then refit replaster and repaint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I'll also add that doing this will more than likely send the draught to come out elsewhere in the house.
    The problem is not the doors it's the airtight fabric of the entire structure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Thanks!! The airtightness might be down to how the the wall that the door is on was finished too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,563 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I don't believe the problem is the pocket doors per se, as noted earlier.

You need to see where the wind is coming from, is this a new problem since the extension was built?
    That is the wall buildup in the extension?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

We extended before we moved in , but would say it is related to extension. That wall with the pocket doors is halfway down the extension running between the 2 external walls . I assume if opening up the plasterboard it might be obvious where the wind is coming from. I had just thought the cold wall on one side was creating a draught but realized something else was amiss this week in the bad winds

• Advertisement

is the wall dry lined?
    If so take off a vent cover on inside and post some pics

is the wall dry lined?
    If so take off a vent cover on inside and post some pics

Will do. Not sure if i’ll Be able to move piping though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭housetypeb

What's the ceiling and roof detail around that internal wall peak? Or is a gable wall?

The fact that it was felt more during the gales would seem to point more in that direction.

It would need incredibly bad block work at the junction ,depending how the cross wall is tied into the external walls, and a bad insulation job in the cavity too, be that draughty.

It isn’t a gable wall . And unfortunately I don’t remember what that detail was . If might just have been plasterboard. You might be right about the issue being there . Now you mention it in frosty weather the line of that wall on the roof never has frost

Will do. Not sure if i’ll Be able to move piping though

Piping?
    Housetype could be on the money here as if you think about the studs for the wide wall to take the pocket door, maybe putting the studs on two rafters and leave the gap open to the felt.

Might be worth striping off a few tiles and get a little CCTV camera in there though a cut in the felt

• Advertisement

I took a look at the “pocket” should the exterior wall at the very back be insulated?

Piping?
    Housetype could be on the money here as if you think about the studs for the wide wall to take the pocket door, maybe putting the studs on two rafters and leave the gap open to the felt.

Might be worth striping off a few tiles and get a little CCTV camera in there though a cut in the felt
    4 inch.pipe behind vent

Piping?

I’d say you could be right . Would this be a big job to fix ?

Well looking at the latest picture, I assumed the wall was a stud wall.
    4 inch.pipe behind vent

Is the wall dry lined, can you post a picture of the 4" pipe please

Yes , exterior wall is dry lined . One side of the pocket door is stud the other is block . Exterior wall is dry lined but not stud

Great so pipe not sealed to the plasterboard which means air can get inside the plasterboard and move around the house.
    You will find some ideas I have posted before about how to seal that off properly

Great so pipe not sealed to the plasterboard which means air can get inside the plasterboard and move around the house.
    You will find some ideas I have posted before about how to seal that off properly

Thanks , i’ll do that . Plasterboard is fixed directly to the wall , not a stud wall .
    Would that be the cause of the draft from pocket doors, or is that wishful thinking ?

Thanks , i’ll do that . Plasterboard is fixed directly to the wall , not a stud wall .
    Would that be the cause of the draft from pocket doors, or is that wishful thinking ?

How is the slab fixed to the wall?

I still think the roof is worth a look

How is the slab fixed to the wall?

I still think the roof is worth a look

Screwed in . Are they called mushroom screws ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I took a look at the “pocket” should the exterior wall at the very back be insulated?

I assume it's an internal pocket door....??

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I assume it's an internal pocket door....??

Correct. Wall it’s on runs between 2 external walls and runs up to roof . No attic space

Had a roofer out today to fix a leak and decided to leave slates alone . Going to cut out a strip of plasterboard 8 or do inches wide above door from one side to the other and seal up as far as wall plate with rock wool and expanding foam

Had a roofer out today to fix a leak and decided to leave slates alone . Going to cut out a strip of plasterboard 8 or do inches wide above door from one side to the other and seal up as far as wall plate with rock wool and expanding foam

Neither are airtight, the foam more than the rock wool, you need wind barrier

Thanks for that , i’m enthusiastic but pretty clueless:) can you give me a link to what you mean ?

No exact link, you need to stop the wind coming through the space. If you just stuff it with rock wool air will still pass through.
    Modern insulated roof makeup is breathable wind barrier on out side, insulation, then a breathable airtightness layer on inside, so no wind gets at insulation.

look here
    http://www.ecologicalbuildingsystems.com/Irelandhttp://www.ecologicalbuildingsystems.com/Ireland

Is an angle grinder the best tool to use to remove the plasterboard ?

Is an angle grinder the best tool to use to remove the plasterboard ?

NO, you will wreck the place.!!

https://www.toolstation.com/roughneck-pad-saw/p76863

Drill a 10mm hole first to make it easier, once you get a cut open you can use an old hand saw.

If you have a helper, get them to hi=old a vacuum cleaner near the cutting, keeps dust down a bit

Be aware of any cables, pipes

NO, you will wreck the place.!!

https://www.toolstation.com/roughneck-pad-saw/p76863

Drill a 10mm hole first to make it easier, once you get a cut open you can use an old hand saw.

If you have a helper, get them to hi=old a vacuum cleaner near the cutting, keeps dust down a bit

Be aware of any cables, pipes

Thanks , no cables or pipes . Thought grinder would be tidier but a lot of dust I guess

Opened it up today and no insulation at top of pocket, just a beam and felt above it . Need to pack it with something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Not to get back into an old debate, but for draught proofing it doesnt need to be airtight, just cut down on air leakage.

OP, If it was me I would foam it first and determine if its making any difference before expending any more energy on it.

Opened it up today and no insulation at top of pocket, just a beam and felt above it . Need to pack it with something.

Pictures?

Nope , all closed up again and plastered,while I was at work after much debate and ringing round , they packed it with rock wool above and to the sides
    We’ll see how it goes and if it fails it didn’t cost a fortune

Only 2 pics

Pretty gusty today and it seems to have worked!

Advertisement