Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning objection

Options
  • 13-03-2019 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Do councils take planning objections seriously from those that the building will have little or no impact on?
    If I want to build an ext (detached house with no close neighbours) can someone who lives several blocks away object?
    Old neighbours that we had issues with in the past and through mutual friends know we plan to extend and they are that spiteful they would submit an objection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

The council pay no attention to them. Your bitter ex neighbours get to feel good about life, however briefly, and that is important!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

At the moment, anyone can object and the council treat them all the same

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭newbie2012!

At the moment, anyone can object and the council treat them all the same

Really? That is crazy. I agree if it impacts people but on what grounds could they object?

I just know the type of person they are and would do anything to make my life difficult!

enricoh wrote: »
    The council pay no attention to them. Your bitter ex neighbours get to feel good about life, however briefly, and that is important!

That’s what I would like to think but I don’t want to go through lots of expense if they are going to take their objection seriously.

Very confused by it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Go for the old bait and switch, put in for planning for something small like changing the piers of your gateway, or the size of your drive way, leave the notice up awhile, then put up your extension planning notice on the same board...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Markcheese wrote: »
    Go for the old bait and switch, put in for planning for something small like changing the piers of your gateway, or the size of your drive way, leave the notice up awhile, then put up your extension planning notice on the same board...

Unless you wait 6 months, the second notice will be yellow, just to highlight that it is a new notice, for a new planning application!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Planners are highly educated professionals.

Objections are judged on merit.

Thry must be seen to follow due process and may even come back to you for further information.

Unless your objector has a genuine objection it will not impact on your permission.

I've seen a local fool around here put in objections to extensions on grounds of insufficient sightlines. On an existing house...

“Objections are judged on merit.”

Oh I hope so. You hear horror stories of people objecting just to stir sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They definitely are.
    The motives of the objector are completely irrelevant.
    The planners decision will be based on planning grounds only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rayjdav

ANYONE can object to a planning application, from the other end of the country if they want. Joys of the P&D Act.
    Planners must take heed of each submission and they make a call based on the facts before them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭bluetractor

I objected to a development next to me. Because i objected, two other neighbours did not bother as it was assumed that as I was going to be the most affected person, that my objection would have far more merit than the others.
    Planning was refused and in the detailed decision two of my objection reasons were listed. Possibly would have been listed anyway, but then again, would the planners have known the applicant worked over 100km away and thus did not have "local need" for a dwelling.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

If your starting out on a new build you will need to learn quickly to avoid 'stories' and 'high stool' talk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭bluetractor

That’s what I would like to think but I don’t want to go through lots of expense if they are going to take their objection seriously.

Very confused by it all!
    You can do a little homework and get the planning right and answer potential objections by having the right plans.
    Quite simple to do. Go onto your local authority's planning site. Look for similar developments in the area, check the documents and read the planners report and also any objections that are attached to the file (all objections are there for public to view)
    Then you'll know what the planners are looking for and what reason they use to refuse.

Thanks for the replies. Hoping common sense prevails!

Advertisement