Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Costs Issue

Options
  • 13-03-2019 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi,

Just after getting costs for electricals which have been installed at first fix and they are 50% more expensive than tendered.

On our walk around with the electrican we actually pulled items from the electrical plans that were was in the tender documents.

It seems like the builder under spec'd in the tender and it now looking to charge more. Unfortunately it the tender response its a one line item for electric so I cannot see the actual break down.

Any advice on how to deal with this, anyone been through this before?

Thanks,

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi,

Just after getting costs for electricals which have been installed at first fix and they are 50% more expensive than tendered.

On our walk around with the electrican we actually pulled items from the electrical plans that were was in the tender documents.

It seems like the builder under spec'd in the tender and it now looking to charge more. Unfortunately it the tender response its a one line item for electric so I cannot see the actual break down.

Any advice on how to deal with this, anyone been through this before?

Thanks,

assuming you had a detailed elec spec in the tender documents.....and the builder tendered in accordance with these....

then this is the builders problem... not sure you should even be told that its extra... the electrician is being hired by the builder, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

sydthebeat wrote: »
    assuming you had a detailed elec spec in the tender documents.....and the builder tendered in accordance with these....

then this is the builders problem... not sure you should even be told that its extra... the electrician is being hired by the builder, not you.

Yes - a detailed electrical spec was provided.

The builder has sent us the updated cost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Was the one line for electrical in the builder's tender a PC Sum?

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/warning-all-the-pc-provisional-sum.166542/

Was the one line for electrical in the builder's tender a PC Sum?

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/warning-all-the-pc-provisional-sum.166542/

If a builder was given a detailed electrical spec, but quoted using a PC sum to cover it, he wouldn't be getting the job under my watch

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

No - no mention of electrics as PC sum. Going to be an interesting argument this one!! I believe they may have under quoted - so not sure how to play it out ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Oh this will be very interesting indeed!

Am building, and in nearly all tenders I received, electrical was a PC sum.

So, they give you a quote, say e5000 and say "e5000 PC sum" (i.e., can go up/down).

Do you have a contract with the builder (contract signed before the job started)?

If a builder was given a detailed electrical spec, but quoted using a PC sum to cover it, he wouldn't be getting the job under my watch

It does happen though and some use a PC Sum and 'under estimate' to bring down their overall tender in the hope of getting the contract. The PC Sum cost allowed is then adjusted (upwards) in line with the actual cost of the build. It can catch out the unwary.

It does happen though and some use a PC Sum and 'under estimate' to bring down their overall tender in the hope of getting the contract. The PC Sum cost allowed is then adjusted (upwards) in line with the actual cost of the build. It can catch out the unwary.

Oh I realise it happens alright

I'm just making the point that if I'm assessing tenders for the client and, after being supplied with a detailed spec, the builder still sticks in a PC sum for whatever ie mech and electrical etc then I wouldn't be recommending then for the contract.

Cos you end up comparing apples and oranges.

Oh I realise it happens alright

I'm just making the point that if I'm assessing tenders for the client and, after being supplied with a detailed spec, the builder still sticks in a PC sum for whatever ie mech and electrical etc then I wouldn't be recommending then for the contract.

Cos you end up comparing apples and oranges.
    That's why it's worthwhile having an independent professional oversee a building project.

If a budget is tight the temptation can be to cut corners on professional fees but by keeping costs under control having an independent project manager, quantity surveyor or other professional to keep an eye on things can result in a nett saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Yes - a detailed electrical spec was provided.

No - no mention of electrics as PC sum.

I don't see this as a very long conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

What would be the percentage split between 1st and 2nd fix electrical. As in I know the total cost just want to budget for approx cost of 1st fix?

caddy16 wrote: »
    What would be the percentage split between 1st and 2nd fix electrical. As in I know the total cost just want to budget for approx cost of 1st fix?
    Anyone help with this, just a rough %?

caddy16 wrote: »
    Anyone help with this, just a rough %?

This might help
    https://selfbuild.ie/construction/build-cost-estimator/4/

Thanks gives me a approx split which is what I wanted.

Advertisement