Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Angler in Galway. Help!

Options
  • 03-03-2019 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone,
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice. I'm completely new to angling.
    I'm interested (for now) in freshwater coarse fishing.
    Out of convenience I am (for now) focusing on lure fishing rather than bait or fly.
    I've got the basics gear wise to start me off.
    Learned a couple knots and other matters of technique.
    Familiarised myself with fishing regulations etc.

I'm in Galway city so the river Corrib and southern lough Corrib are easy access for me. Can any of you please help with the hard part... The where, what and when.
    Where are good spots around here?
    What kind of lures (size and weight too) work well for coarse fish?
    When? I presume early morning and dusk but maybe specific fish are different.
    I've been out a bunch of times at random spots with random tackle and caught nothing. I enjoy being in nature but I've been wasting my time without this knowledge.
    I just wanna get the ball rolling by focusing on the easiest fish species with the simplest method in the 'luckiest' location.
    Again thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

For coarse fishing, you won't need lures.

You'll need ground bait, maggots, worms, sweet corn......

Lough cordon has a good head of roach/ roach/bream hybrids.

I'd wait till the weather warms a little more, but if your eager, head out, I'd start near boat harbours etc for roach.

Check out the Greater Rod Race On YouTube, Matt and Mick started in the West, plenty of coarse angling on corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PauliSmalls

Thanks so much. I'll try all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

For coarse fishing, you won't need lures.

You'll need ground bait, maggots, worms, sweet corn......

Lough cordon has a good head of roach/ roach/bream hybrids.

I'd wait till the weather warms a little more, but if your eager, head out, I'd start near boat harbours etc for roach.

Check out the Greater Rod Race On YouTube, Matt and Mick started in the West, plenty of coarse angling on corrib.

Do Perch and Pike not fall under course fishing? They are best caught on lures .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Do Perch and Pike not fall under course fishing? They are best caught on lures .

Perch can be classed under coarse fish, but they are also predatory.

Pike are predatory.

I suppose it stems from coarse vs game fish, In that coarse fish were seen as not very edible.

Advertisement