Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers 'could be given licences to grow cannabis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭endainoz

This thread is giving Guerilla growers all around the country a good laugh.

Shhhh ye don't exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Can anyone explain why none of the grows that the DS find are ever outside? Yet they regularly find them inside in attics, spare rooms etc..

I know where there are some magic beans for sale, do guerrillas like climbing beanstalks, pm for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This thread is giving Guerilla growers all around the country a good laugh.

I'd say they'd be more worried that it's now public that what they're growing in the open is little better than nettles in relation to THC. Plus the majority of illegal large scale production Ireland has been found growing in specially adapted 'grow houses' requiring huge amounts of artifical light and heating. But there you go ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Can anyone explain why none of the grows that the DS find are ever outside? Yet they regularly find them inside in attics, spare rooms etc..

I know where there are some magic beans for sale, do guerrillas like climbing beanstalks, pm for details.

The only reason the DS ever find anything is because someone tells them where to look.

Guerilla growers will put down maybe 3 or 4 plants max and in the middle of nowhere miles from anywhere.

If you tell nobody where it is , nobody's finding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Never smoked a joint in my life but could do with something for the arthritis.

Yes you can get it young

• Advertisement

The only reason the DS ever find anything is because someone tells them where to look.

Guerilla growers will put down maybe 3 or 4 plants max and in the middle of nowhere miles from anywhere.

If you tell nobody where it is , nobody's finding it.

Its either an amazing coincidence that these mountain top endeavours are never located, or else it's not happening at all because you would end up with trash.
    I believe the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

When was the last time you met a Garda in wellies out looking for pot? It's hardly top of their agenda.
    I know one chap that grows them up in a tree every summer, literally there up the tree, never seen a Garda up a tree either.

When was the last time you met a Garda in wellies out looking for pot? It's hardly top of their agenda.
    I know one chap that grows them up in a tree every summer, literally there up the tree, never seen a Garda up a tree either.

Cool story bro, anyone trying to grow weed up in a tree needs to worry about men in white coats and not Gardas in Dunlops.
    Do the guerrillas climb up and tend to the plants?

Cool story bro, anyone trying to grow weed up in a tree needs to worry about men in white coats and not Gardas in Dunlops.
    Do the guerrillas climb up and tend to the plants?

And then there's the problem of shade ;) How exactly do the plants get sunlight stuck up in the branches of a tree? Keeping the plants watered must be an absolute hoot ....

You don't them under branches, there in the body with direct sunlight.

• Advertisement

You don't them under branches, there in the body with direct sunlight.

But but trees have a dense crown of branches - all which are covered in leaves during summer months. You don't get light filtering into the canopy- that's the point. Unless it's a dead tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It wouldn't be safe up in a tree like that, might fall and injure someone.Health and Safety nightmare

Anyone with any sense opens a little restaurant and grows it there, that way the astronomical esb bill doesn't stand out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

gctest50 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be safe up in a tree like that, might fall and injure someone.Health and Safety nightmare

Anyone with any sense opens a little restaurant and grows it there, that way the astronomical esb bill doesn't stand out

Its only astronomical if you are growing industrial amounts. Five or six plants under an LED lamp you don't even notice it on the ESB bill.

Its only astronomical if you are growing industrial amounts. Five or six plants under an LED lamp you don't even notice it on the ESB bill.

An LED lamp up a tree! Sure that would be spotted by passing aircraft!

Leds are a poor replacement for hps or mh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I disagree with people saying we can grow decent stuff here. The plant produces the raisin as a response to the intensity of the sun. It's its protection from the sun. We simply don't have enough of it and not enough intensity. The stuff will flourish here but it will be very weak to useless.
    There is a reason we don't grow any wine here, too.

I disagree with people saying we can grow decent stuff here. The plant produces the raisin as a response to the intensity of the sun. It's its protection from the sun. We simply don't have enough of it and not enough intensity. The stuff will flourish here but it will be very weak to useless.

No its not its protection from the sun? Its to sticky to catch the pollen from a male plant I'd have thought?

Leds are a poor replacement for hps or mh

Nope, unless your a cheapskate. I've been having great success since I switched to LED in 2016. No heat either so very easy control temperature. No need to change bulbs after vegetation cycle either.

No its not its protection from the sun? Its to sticky to catch the pollen from a male plant I'd have thought?

I would have thought it was a form of uv protection, and that LEDS do not facilitate anywhere even close to the same potency as hps or mh

Its protection from the sun and amount and quality is in direct relation to the intensity of the sun/uv rays. People grow it indoors not predominantly for security reasons but those high intensity sodium lamps they're using is the only way of getting decent stuff in our climates.

We can grow great utility hemp here but thats about it.

• Advertisement

Some strains are suited to this weather and colder.
    Ideally you want you be living in Valentia but anywhere west of Kilkenny and you'll be fine. Ask the nearest garden centre that sells seeds they'll steer you right.

There is some Irish wine https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/wines-by-country/Irish-Wine/Lusca-Irish-Wines

Ideally you want you be living in Valentia but anywhere west of Kilkenny and you'll be fine. Ask the nearest garden centre that sells seeds they'll steer you right.

There is some Irish wine https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/wines-by-country/Irish-Wine/Lusca-Irish-Wines

I don't think its winning any prizes though. Believe me, its all about the sun. You want to be at least in the orange area, but really its in the red where you wanna be. After that its high uv sodium lamps.

471207.png

Nonsense and has been said before on this thread, white widow me arse.
    It all needs consistent heat and light

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

In terms of soil type and temps the south east is generally where you would be heading, east cork and over. Growing something one year is fine but growing something consistently is quite another

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

According to some of the comments Cavan will be a suitable hotbed of cannabis growing. Cool high altitudes and all that.

I’ll not hold my breath!!

_Brian wrote: »
    According to some of the comments Cavan will be a suitable hotbed of cannabis growing. Cool high altitudes and all that.

I’ll not hold my breath!!

Go for it! All you need is a tree and a Guerilla who is an expert in led lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Where there's a will......

In the United Kingdom, outdoor-grown crops have achieved similar yields and THC levels to those grown indoors (Potter, 2009b). Once dried and processed, the two can be indiscernible in appearance. The costs of growing the plant outside are minimal compared with those of an artificially illuminated, ventilated and heated indoor crop. However, whereas the indoor grower can produce at least six crops a year, and stagger these so that only a few plants are ready for harvest at any one time, only one outdoor crop is possible. This will all be ready for harvest at about the same time, on a date dictated by nature. The cannabis plant is a so-called short-day plant, commencing flowering at a precise date in late summer. The species has evolved to recognise when the so-called critical daylength has arrived. Owing to the effect of latitude on daylength, if these plants are moved north, commencement of flowering is delayed. Because of this, at 55°N (the suggested northerly extreme for outdoor growing of drug-type cannabis) the flowering period is very short and weather conditions are increasingly unlikely to be favourable. (Source EU report)

55°N is anything above Derry.

the flowering period is very short and weather conditions are increasingly unlikely to be favourable

Exactly why it can't successfully be grown outside on the island of Ireland. Or is it global warming you're waiting on.
    Close to the equator is ideal, NI latitude is the extreme edge... You've disproved your own argument.
    Plant it north of Derry it dies, any other county you get crap.

• Advertisement

The flowering period isn't "very short". Even on auto flower ruderails it takes a good 8 weeks and thats in perfect conditions. This thread is about growing cannabis commercially for export, its impossible. I'm not even sure it'd work in green houses as when the days get shorter it gets to cold an damp.

Advertisement