Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers 'could be given licences to grow cannabis

Options
  • 23-01-2019 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭

The Department of Health said it may review its policy given its difficulty in sourcing cannabis product.
    Source

Great news for farmers and the population in General.

There are a few hemp farmers in Ireland who could very easily switch to the THC version of the plant. From a regulatory point of view do you think the licenced Hemp farmers will be the first to be allowed grow it or will it be open to all famers to apply for a licence?
    What do you think is the best way to position yourself for the new opportunity? Get a hemp licence? from my understanding you can get a licence as long as you have a contact for someone to buy it off you.

There is a huge export opportunity here with some European countries already having to source cannabis outside the EU.

It also means some new toys on the farm : )

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Have we the climate to grow decent bud outdoors though?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No all year round but yes. We have enough time for 2 harvests depending on the summer. The further west and south the better.

We already grow hemp and it's 1st cousin Hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭emaherx

No all year round but yes. We have enough time for 2 harvests depending on the summer. The further west and south the better.

We already grow hemp and it's 1st cousin Hops.

We'd never be left in peace with it though, product would disappear from our fields before we'd get to harvest it. Or do we hire armed gaurds too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

emaherx wrote: »
    We'd never be left in peace with it though, product would disappear from our fields before we'd get to harvest it. Or do we hire armed gaurds too?

That's a very good point, I'd wonder how they make it work in other country's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

You can grow hemp outdoors but cannabis is indoors in an industrial unit. It will be grown but not by farmers

• Advertisement

If we go down the Canadian route that won't be an issue. They can grow their own at home so no need to go robbing anyone. Your always going to lose a bit anyway rabbits love the stuff and so do cows. There's nobody going to try and steal a few acres of cannabis.
    That's a very good point, I'd wonder how they make it work in other country's.

In Italy it's farmed by the Italian Army, that doesn't really work too well, it's too expensive and they can't produce enough.
    You can grow hemp outdoors but cannabis is indoors in an industrial unit. It will be grown but not by farmers

Cannabis is 100% an outdoor plant especially in Ireland as we don't have the same problems as other countries with extreme heat and bugs. it's already grown here but without THC in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Stonewall Jackson

Yes we do have the climate to grow very good ganja outdoors anywhere on this Island with very little effort.
    The season goes from mid May to Sept/Oct.
    That's plant out the seedlings towards the end of May and harvest finished plants from early September. That's photoperiod plants.
    Now if it were Autos that was growing, then two harvests can be done within the same timeframe.
    Yield would vary from season to season depending on the weather but its definitely a business we should be in. Green Gold!

Security is the main issue as there would be gangs of lads (rippers) raiding fields all over the shop.
    Yes armed guards would be ideal but not going to happen here.

So it would probably have to be grown in an artificial environment in a very high security warehouse or in fields with prison style fencing around them.

The criminals already grow and import it here. I don't think this idea of people running around with scythes cutting down hundreds of acres of cannabis is going to happen.
    We have it valued way too high though as stealing 5 plants would give you the equivalent of a years industrial wage if you were to sell it.
    Also harvest is a short window so there only worth taking when ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

It was on country file before Christmas. Largest glasshouse in UK was doing a few crops of it a year.
    The medicinal cannabis is bred for a different active and is very low in whatever it is that makes you high. For pharmaceutical use though it was highlighted how consistency is the most important thing so there's no fear of it ever being a field crop here, an alternative for glasshouse owners at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Stonewall Jackson

The criminals already grow and import it here. I don't think this idea of people running around with scythes cutting down hundreds of acres of cannabis is going to happen.
    We have it valued way too high though as stealing 5 plants would give you the equivalent of a years industrial wage if you were to sell it.
    Also harvest is a short window so there only worth taking when ready.

Criminals do grow it and import it, but nothing beats free. Im not arguing, just chattin' **** but maybe you are underestimating how popular free cannabis would be here.

Personally, I just think any citizen who wants to grow it themselves for recreation or for health reasons should be allowed do so without fear of being criminalized. Its not the gateway, alcohol&tobacco are but thats another story done to death :)
    Off to work, have a nice day guys.

• Advertisement

Cannabis is free here already just illegal. Plenty of shops sell the seeds. Grows wild.

Cannabis is free here already just illegal. Plenty of shops sell the seeds. Grows wild.

What experience do you have of farming?

We already have issues with scumbags damaging crops that are of no value to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I can't see how this is possible, outside, here in Ireland. We're a bit too far from the equator.
    If it was possible every pot head from kerry to derry would be growing it in some secluded spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭endainoz

I can't see how this is possible, outside, here in Ireland. We're a bit too far from the equator. If it was possible every pot head from kerry to derry would be growing it in some secluded spot.

How do you know they aren't already?!

There's nobody going to try and steal a few acres of cannabis.

Can and has been done in this country for less valuable cereal crops.

endainoz wrote: »
    How do you know they aren't already?!

Irish weather is too cold and not sunny enough, I don't even think it could happen in standard greenhouses.

I can't see how this is possible, outside, here in Ireland. We're a bit too far from the equator.
    If it was possible every pot head from kerry to derry would be growing it in some secluded spot.

Was cutting silage a few years ago and someone was growing some in some pots on the headland of my field. I left it where it was but it was gone before I got the baler.

Irish weather is too cold and not sunny enough, I don't even think it could happen in greenhouses.

Its possible to get hybrid seeds more resistant to temperate climates, so yeah it's possible.

Was cutting silage a few years ago and someone was growing some in some pots on the headland of my field. I left it where it was but it was gone before I got the baler.

They would never flower outside here, no flower = no bud.
    Lots of risk and no reward.
    Kinda like farming this weather!

Can't say I know what Happened to them I suspect they were grown by a few local kids that wouldnt exactly be plant experts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

From watching Murder Mountain on Netflix there's an Indica type that originated in the Himalayas that grows in the foggy mountains of California so would imagine that would be more suited to here than the warm climate (Sativa) type.

From that watching that series, legalization greatly decreased the street price and registration fees and paperwork put most of the small growers out of business, I'd imagine something similar would happen here.

They would never flower outside here, no flower = no bud. Lots of risk and no reward. Kinda like farming this weather!

Yes they can....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

What harm is a greenhouse, you'd be warm and in out of the weather

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/545352/the-worlds-biggest-cannabis-farm/
    The firm’s director of botany, Dr Potter, adds: “Once you’re in, it’s more
    like a garden centre. It’s a very serene working atmosphere.”

Despite being surrounded by the plants, Dr Potter says he’s never been tempted
    to experiment with the drug, joking: “Real ale is my drug of choice.”

v4ARnIC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Cannabis is 100% an outdoor plant especially in Ireland as we don't have the same problems as other countries with extreme heat and bugs. it's already grown here but without THC in it.

You must be joking. You can grow it outdoors yeah but it will be ****e and of no use whatsoever for medicinal use. It will be grown indoors in huge grow houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Incorrect information. Cannabis can grow outdoors in Ireland and very well at that too. It's grown in Alaska and Russia, far from the equator. As with all plants and animals, you will need to select the correct species for the climate.
    Irish weather is too cold and not sunny enough, I don't even think it could happen in standard greenhouses.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Where do you get your information? It's absolutely false.

Incorrect information. Cannabis can grow outdoors in Ireland and very well at that too. It's grown in Alaska and Russia, far from the equator. As with all plants and animals, you will need to select the correct species for the climate.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Can you post a link to one of these fantastic seeds, strains so suited to our Irish climate or do you just automatically believe what you hear?
    Have the guards ever discovered anyone here in Ireland growing it outside?

Wrong.

Wrong.

Have you ever smoked cannabis? Have you ever grown it? Have you any idea what you are talking about?

Can you post a link to one of these fantastic seeds, strains so suited to our Irish climate or do you just automatically believe what you hear?
    Have the guards ever discovered anyone here in Ireland growing it outside?

Plenty grow here White Widow grows here in summer with little to no maintenance and that's one of the larger and stronger variations. You can pick up the seeds in floweshops, plenty of strains to choose from.
    There was a farmer in tipp caught for growing it outside a few years back.

There's also plenty of farmers growing the versions without THC. They even have their own association. Some are supplying the CBD market legally.
    Ollie was one of the first to do it here, https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/farming/news/oliver-moorehemp-thrives-in-coastal-north-kerry-414077.html

Plenty grow here White Widow grows here in summer with little to no maintenance and that's one of the larger and stronger variations. You can pick up the seeds in floweshops, plenty of strains to choose from.
    There was a farmer in tipp caught for growing it outside a few years back.

There's also plenty of farmers growing the versions without THC. They even have their own association. Some are supplying the CBD market legally.
    Ollie was one of the first to do it here, https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/farming/news/oliver-moorehemp-thrives-in-coastal-north-kerry-414077.html

You can grow it outdoors here yes. But it will be useless bush weed and your yields will be terrible. There's a reason that even in the countrys that have the correct climate for it the majority is still grown in grow houses.

• Advertisement

If growing outside was possible / feasible the guards would be regularly finding grow sites.
    They're not.
    And..... Unfollow

Advertisement