Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Nfl Draft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭letowski

Miami Dolphins closing in on Rosen going on reports. They would give up the #48 pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Haskins' passer rating under pressure is half of what he achieved without pressure.

His drop-off is double the typical drop-off of an NFL QB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foxtrol wrote:
    If they were sticking with Rosen then yes, he’d need to rebuild his offense to suit him, but if they’re picking a new QB then you pick one that fits your system (especially when he is also the consensus better QB). They made their bed by picking Kingsbury and if they were picking a QB it would be crazy to pick one that didn’t suit his scheme.
    If you don't have an intensive line it doesn't matter what QB you have.
    Foxtrol wrote:
    Do you really think the less than an inch difference in height between Murray and Wilson will be the difference between being a success and failure? People have tried and failed to figure Wilson out for years. There are plenty of reasons that Murray could fail, but I very much doubt it will be because of an inch or two in height.
    You are picking the exception to the rule as your comparison.
    Wilson was a much more prototypical QB coming out of college. He had good feet in the pocket, he was a good runner too but he played a lot more in the pocket than Murray. He was a much safer bet to succeed.
    You realise that Murray only started for one year in college?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

eagle eye wrote: »

Didnt Haskins only start one year as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Please explain how you came to the conclusion that he is terrible under pressure.

How long do you have? His mechanics tend to go to pot under pressure.

https://imgur.com/KuW3JHW

https://imgur.com/IxKHxjK

https://imgur.com/A3iHBDj

https://imgur.com/KI7PGkZ

https://imgur.com/Fu5QuXv

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If you don't have an intensive line it doesn't matter what QB you have.

If you dont have an OL, I'd much rather have Murray than Haskins.
    You are picking the exception to the rule as your comparison.
    Wilson was a much more prototypical QB coming out of college. He had good feet in the pocket, he was a good runner too but he played a lot more in the pocket than Murray. He was a much safer bet to succeed.

Hard to really call Wilson an exception, as in there isn’t a massive list of failed NFL QBs under 6ft. Like a lot of positions, there is a perceived wisdom in what measurables a player should/must have and as a result they get pushed to other positions before they get to the NFL and never get a chance to succeed. Then teams take a risk on a guy that isnt willing to make the move and it opens the door for others to follow. It happens constantly.

You realise Haskins, who you are pushing to go #1, also only started one year in college?

Foxtrol wrote:
    Hard to really call Wilson an exception, as in there isn’t a massive list of failed NFL QBs under 6ft. Like a lot of positions, there is a perceived wisdom in what measurables a player should/must have and as a result they get pushed to other positions before they get to the NFL and never get a chance to succeed. Then teams take a risk on a guy that isnt willing to make the move and it opens the door for others to follow. It happens constantly.

You want to compare Wilson, I'll compare Doug Flutie. Heisman winner, no good in the NFL. Or Seneca Wallace, no good in the NFL.

Morrison J wrote:
    How long do you have? His mechanics tend to go to pot under pressure.
    I'm sorry, what wash supposed to see there to suggest hevis bad under pressure?

Foxtrol wrote:
    You realise Haskins, who you are pushing to go #1, also only started one year in college?
    Yes I do but he is not a running QB.

• Advertisement

You want to compare Wilson, I'll compare Doug Flutie. Heisman winner, no good in the NFL. Or Seneca Wallace, no good in the NFL.

So you're saying their height is the cause of why they weren't good in the NFL, that they would have been successful if they were an extra inch or two taller?

Foxtrol wrote:
    So you're saying their height is the cause of why they weren't good in the NFL, that they would have been successful if they were an extra inch or two taller?
    Absolutely yes in the case of Flutie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I'm sorry, what wash supposed to see there to suggest hevis bad under pressure?

Can you not see his footwork going all wrong and his throws sailing??

Absolutely yes in the case of Flutie.

I'll admit to not having seen that many games of his and I cant compare his skillset to Murray/Wilson so I'll take your word on that.

Giving you that, we're at a spot where we have examples of shorter QBs succeeding and failing. I don't see any justification to your claim that you should have a rule to not pick a shorter QB in the top 10, just like I don't think you write off a smaller IOL because they mightn't have the ideal size (as you miss on the likes of Donald).

They're 1 of many traits that you need to take into account when selecting a pick. Being rigid like that is how you miss out on talent and especially some great value, even if you do open yourself up to some additional risk.

from Patriots perspective I'm hoping we grab Jace Sternberger with one of our picks. I think he has the potential to be really good.

Now if Drew Lock is still available he has gotta be picked imo.

Cannot believe that Chase Winovich made it out of the first round.

• Advertisement

Lol, Reggie Wayne wet at the Tennessee fans in Nashville.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Greedy Williams please niners. Can't turn down that sort of talent falling this far. They can sort a receiver later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

massive reach for Samuel imo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »
    Greedy Williams please niners. Can't turn down that sort of talent falling this far. They can sort a receiver later.

Or just pick a WR and forget about the secondary.

phatkev wrote: »
    massive reach for Samuel imo

Not sure I agree with this, I think top of the seocnd is about right. I trust Shanahan when it comes to receivers. Seems like a replacement for the Garcon role in the offense.

• Advertisement

Lol, Reggie Wayne wet at the Tennessee fans in Nashville.

And we have Pat McAfee coming up later lol

Elway get his next QB, Drew Lock

Patriots move up to 45 to take Joejuan Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

2013 nfl draft? Close enough!

TheDoctor wrote:
    2013 nfl draft? Close enough!
    That is real sad. Great man but too old now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Let's go 12..... ****ing grating for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

DK Metcalfe could make it to the third round at this rate. After his combine performance and practically every mock having him in the top 20 that would be some fall.

DK Metcalfe could make it to the third round at this rate. After his combine performance and practically every mock having him in the top 20 that would be some fall.

:D

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1121942344721469441

Three cone drill and 20 yard schuttle are costing him big.

Three cone drill and 20 yard schuttle are costing him big.

He is the ultimate boom or bust but I thought he’d be gone by now all the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Rosen is off to Miami

Isabella is a great pick by the Cardinals, really underestimated WR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

He is the ultimate boom or bust but I thought he’d be gone by now all the same

Shocked he’s not gone. I know the niners seemed to have issues around personality etc so I wonder if more teams felt the same.

Only reason Cards git that pick from Miami was the fear that the Patriots would deal at 64.

Has to be winovich to Steelers next I thought they would trade up for him actually

Edit: called it wrong but happy to get Johnson funny how Winovich has fallen. Issues with speed perhaps

Nice pick for the Packers there. I was hoping the Patriots would grab Sternberger. Aaron Rodgers is going to enjoy working with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Olin Kreutz lost a serious amount of weight since retiring. I read during the week that he was announcing our 3rd round pick but I still barely recognised him.

Bears take David Montgomery who looks more like a Nagy RB than Howard. Looks to be quite difficult to get your hands on going by the highlights.

He holds the record for most forced missed tackles in a season which he first set in 2017, then broke last season with 99.

Woohoo we got Winovich!!!

Woohoo we got Winovich!!!

Issues with speed and also consistency apparently but if any team can make him a star it has to be the Pats

• Advertisement

Issues with speed and also consistency apparently but if any team can make him a star it has to be the Pats
    I've seen plenty of him play, always felt he would be a first rounder. He just gets it done, he is a leader too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Metcalf is getting so much s**t from everyone that I want to see him succeed just to prove them wrong. He will need a lot of coaching to get anywhere though.

I've seen plenty of him play, always felt he would be a first rounder. He just gets it done, he is a leader too.

Yeah, wish the Steelers picked him I’m not convinced we needed another receiver over a pass rusher but who knows how he will turn out

Damien Harris is a very good running back and a nice replacement for Jeremy Jill who did nothing much last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Damien Harris is a very good running back and a nice replacement for Jeremy Jill who did nothing much last season

He was on IR all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DM1292

Happy with the Cardinals picks thus far. Of course, Murray at #1 is questionable & 90% of the fan base would have rathered we kept Rosen and took Williams, but I'm looking forward to day 3, we need to hit on all cylinders as we've so many holes to fill.

Not expecting a good year this season, but building blocks for the future are necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Nice one Quinnen, got it out there without saying it.

For context, that was just before their playoff game in the orange bowl, not last night. He knew Saban runs a ship like Belichick would beat his ass if he gave his opponents anything in an interview.

Funny last night Winovich showing some smarts and already wouldn't give information to reporters about the contact he had with the Patriots before the draft. Told them he needed to check with the team before commenting

Trump going out of his way now to screw over his boy Bosa by tweeting congratulations to him this morning.

Bosa managed to deal well with a somewhat hostile Bay Area media yesterday during his press conference and it looked like everyone was moving on. Now Trump has brought on a whole new even larger focus on him. I'm sure it won't be appreciated by the team or the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Yeah usual shyt stirring by Trump alright

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1122109651087241216

• Advertisement
Advertisement