Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Due April 2019

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Congrats honerbright!

All is good here.

Bags are packed, all that I need to pack is my going home outfit into a bag so all my husband has to do is grab and go.
    I felt like I had way too much stuff with my first as well, which is why I'm only bringing the bare minimum this time and have everything sorted here for my husband to grab what I need before he comes over each day.

The baby's room is pretty much sorted. I just need to get a cot mattress (there's no panic on this except for we have to go to Dublin to get it) and the rocking chair from my dad's. It broke a while ago so he's repairing it for us. There's a few other small bits to get, but nothing major or essential.

I also have the house sorted out. Was on a mad cleaning/nesting spree this week, suffering a bit now, but delighted all the same coz it means pretty much just general housework between now and the babies arrival. Have a small bit too do in the garden which we will hopefully get through after lunch.

I have a suspicion that I have a touch of SPD the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure if I should mention it to the hospital when I'm in this week or not. Its not severe by any means and I really want to try for a VBAC this time around and at the moment I don't want it to impact the final decision. Part of me wants to wait till I have the growth scan next month and see what the story is after that.

We had a small breakthrough with names last night. We've the boys list down to two. But the girls list is still a bit of a ****show. We're not going to pick the final name till baby arrives, but I want to have a shortlist picked so that I can mull over them. Unfortunately my husband doesn't really give a fiddler's till the baby arrives. Hes the kind of person that if he was any more laid back he'd be horizontal.... Drives me around the twist at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

I actually had my April baby last month! I went in for my 28 week appointment only to be admitted due to preeclampsia and had an emergency c-section 2 days later. Little guy was 2 pound 2 ounces at birth is 5 weeks and 4 days old now (and 4 pound 1 ounce!), in the NICU and doing pretty well.

Congratulations! Glad he is doing well :)

I finally have both mine and the baby's bag packed for the hospital. I have 2 days left in work now and I am ready to finish now.

I ended up in MAU this morning for reduced movements. All is fine thankfully. They kept me in for a few hours and did a couple of traces. I have an anterior placenta but movements had lessened the last day or two and I work walking distance from the hospital so I decided when I got to work earlier I would go up and so delighted that I did. Two doctors checked everything, gave me a scan, and all good with baby. They put my mind at ease that any type of abnormal pattern etc should be checked out and said if it happens again to make sure and see them, that's what they are there for. Baby measuring 5lbs 5oz today, 34 weeks exactly. After all that excitement I am ready for bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Aprilanon

Huge congrats Honerbright, hope you are doing well yourself? our first baby was a premie, the staff in the NICU are amazing (95% of them anyway, there's always one or two!!).

Just trying to pack my hospital bag today - did you cut the labels off the vests & babygros before packing them? I've washed them & cannot remember if I cut the labels off last time or not :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭awny

I washed all mine Aprilanon, didn't know anything about the tags?? I don't think there was any tags? I'm clueless tho cause I'm a FTM :p

I've never cut off the labels.

It occurred to me today that I never looked for the buggy car seat connector's.... Searched high and low this evening and we haven't come across them..... Its a head wreck coz we can both picture them somewhere just can't figure out where. It wouldn't bother me so much only for I've all the usual nooks and corners we'd use to put that sort of random stuff sorted and tidied up....

How's everyone getting on?

We're all good here. I had a growth scan last week. Baby is 6lbs already and all measurements are tracking similar to No1, so looking at a 8.5lb baby at least, with a big head :-0. I got the go ahead to try VBAC as well from the Dr I saw after the scan. Not sure if she was part of my consultants team or not, so will wait till the next clinic to confirm it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

Humongous GD baby here- estimated 7 12 at 35 weeks! So they're bringing me in for a sweep on 25th (36+3) and then induction on 29th (37).

Haven't really wrapped my head around the fact that shell likely be here this day fortnight!

Have been a bit upset as policy in Waterford is that all GD babies go to scbu for 24-48 hours and I just don't have the energy to fight them on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

TrixIrl wrote: »

Have been a bit upset as policy in Waterford is that all GD babies go to scbu for 24-48 hours and I just don't have the energy to fight them on it!

Sorry to jump in here. Currently 35 weeks on baby no 3.
    Trix is that a new policy in Waterford?
    I had GD on last pregnancy and baby never left my side. Have it again this time so hoping for the same!

I've been told it's policy by both the midwife who gave the antenatal classes and also by my consultant Dr Khalid for zGD babies whose mums ended up on medication- were you diet controlled last time maybe?

It's after breaking my heart to be honest, very long road to getting and staying pregnant so it's just upset me way more than it should. Particularly as I ended up controlling all my meal readings but on insulin due to fastings which are out of my control. Dr Khalid has said she doesn't agree with it but it's down to the postnatal midwifes being understaffed and feeling baby monitoring is a neonatal responsibility. Completely against the national HSE guidelines too.

But now that I'm being induced at 37 weeks it's likely they would have ended up in scbu for a day or two anyways...or do I'm trying to tell myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Trix, why is that? Is it because they monitor the baby's blood sugar levels?

I am curious just because my third was born in the Rotunda and was unexpectedly very large - 10lb6oz. No markers for GD showed up, but their policy is to monitor blood sugar levels for the first 24 hours on babies above and below certain weights. So I had to feed a bottle every 3 hours exactly, make sure he took a precise amount (can't remember - 40mls?) and they would check his sugars 30 mins after the feed. I also breastfed, and once he maintained his levels over the first 24 hours, they stopped checking, and I could change over to breast milk only. They told me if I didn't keep to the routine and his sugars went down I would have to start the 24 hours all over again. Postnatal midwives just came around and did their checks every few hours, along with baby's temperature, oxygen levels etc. That was just part of their job. I had to record all his feeds , the length of time (BF) and the mls taken from bottles, along with wet and dirty nappies, on a sheet they gave me though.

Short-staffed being the reason seems nuts, surely having the babies away from their mums requires more staff to feed them???Doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement

I totally agree. It's even more frustrating that the lead diabetes consultant in the hospital Dr Roberts was a co author of the national HSE guidelines. I'm going to stand my ground and hope they work with me, if the postnatal midwifes get difficult, I'll offer to do the baby's blood levels myself. Just think it's ridiculous that they would want to separate us when establishing breastfeeding is even more important for babies with potentially questionable blood sugars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well I could see that they mightn't let you do the blood levels yourself, but I don't see why you couldn't record all his feeds, making sure the baby gets what is needed, and then give them a call 30 mins after each feed to spend 2 minutes taking sugar levels. That's how it works in the Rotunda anyway.....surely NICU staff have better things to be doing. Also each feed I gave was a bottle, and then he could breastfeed away afterwards or in between, once he got his bottle every 3 hours.After the 24 hours, he just looked for more and more breastmilk and it naturally replaced the formula.

That's exactly my point. But apparently postnatal midwifes feel that if baby needs additional monitoring (even just bloods) that's scbus remit. OB and Diabetes consultant and GP all agree with me and support me having baby with me but apparently as it's written in postnatal policy for hospital the midwifes won't budge. Ive sought a meeting with DOM but no answer yet.

Like if baby needs extra help of course scbu/NICU is where she needs to be but this just seems ridiculous. I'll be heartbroken to be separated from her and be down on postnatal ward without a baby while all the other new mams have theirs. And im so worried it'll affect breastfeeding. It's been a difficult enough pregnancy without ridiculous policies making it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Ah ok, I've been diet controlled both times so that's why there was no mention of Scbu.
    Fingers crossed they listen to you and you get to keep baby with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

shesty wrote: »
    Trix, why is that? Is it because they monitor the baby's blood sugar levels?

I am curious just because my third was born in the Rotunda and was unexpectedly very large - 10lb6oz. No markers for GD showed up, but their policy is to monitor blood sugar levels for the first 24 hours on babies above and below certain weights. So I had to feed a bottle every 3 hours exactly, make sure he took a precise amount (can't remember - 40mls?) and they would check his sugars 30 mins after the feed. I also breastfed, and once he maintained his levels over the first 24 hours, they stopped checking, and I could change over to breast milk only. They told me if I didn't keep to the routine and his sugars went down I would have to start the 24 hours all over again. Postnatal midwives just came around and did their checks every few hours, along with baby's temperature, oxygen levels etc. That was just part of their job. I had to record all his feeds , the length of time (BF) and the mls taken from bottles, along with wet and dirty nappies, on a sheet they gave me though.

Short-staffed being the reason seems nuts, surely having the babies away from their mums requires more staff to feed them???Doesn't make sense.

I find it mad at how different our hospitals approach certain situations. My first was 10lb8oz and we had none of the same strict checks that you had with your big baby. Like you there were no GD markers. We just received a few comments on his size and away we went. I remember we had to record nappies and feed quantities where possible for the first 24 hours but I think that was standard day 1 procedure!

Op I would definitely question this at a higher level at the hospital. Seems crazy that you would be automatically separated from your baby just because you have GD.

I've requested a meeting with the Director of Midwifery but no response yet. I've also emailed AIMS for support on this.

At the same time I'm terrified of losing the midwifes support if they think I'm criticising them. Pregnancy hormones and anxiety have me a bit paranoid I think!

cant26 wrote: »
    I find it mad at how different our hospitals approach certain situations. My first was 10lb8oz and we had none of the same strict checks that you had with your big baby. Like you there were no GD markers. We just received a few comments on his size and away we went. I remember we had to record nappies and feed quantities where possible for the first 24 hours but I think that was standard day 1 procedure!

Op I would definitely question this at a higher level at the hospital. Seems crazy that you would be automatically separated from your baby just because you have GD.

It is mad.Now that being said, my third was only born last May, and I have been in the Rotunda for my other two aswell-I definitely noticed this time a lot of changes in how they do business.Even the fact that I had to record feeds and nappies etc myself-on the last two, the midwife recorded them all on the chart.So this may be a newish policy, I'm not sure.

To be honest, it sounds like the other hospital is covering itself, and also, the Rotunda NICU could be a lot more busy, and just not able to take that kind of extra work.

Is it just because of the size of baby that they are inducing you at 37 weeks? My baby is estimate similar size at 36 weeks & UCHG won't budge on booking me in for a section any earlier than 39 weeks.
    Seems very random that each hospital has different guidelines. There has been mention of baby possibly having to go to NICU to be monitored if born before 39 weeks, I'm really hoping that won't be the case but just going to have to wait & see.
    I did think they would bring me in for a section at 38 weeks due to baby's size but no way no how do they want to do a section before 39 weeks.

Yep size of baby, the fact I'm on insulin 4 times a day and they have repeatedly said they don't think she'll fit so sweep at 36+3 and induction at 37+0.

• Advertisement

Yep size of baby, the fact I'm on insulin 4 times a day and they have repeatedly said they don't think she'll fit so sweep at 36+3 and induction at 37+0.

I'm also on insulin 4 times a day, baby is already measuring big, I went early on my first & ended up having an emergency C-section and they still will not do a planned section before 39 weeks 🀷

That's tough going AprilAnon, what size is baby now? Is it the same hospital that you had the emergency section? Seems that were both ticking all the boxes but such different care plans.

I'm going to the same hospital where i had my first and they haven't a word in my file of why I had a section. Its been a pain in the ass trying to remember exactly what happened as when the decision was made I was as high as a kite on the gas and air and had a dose of the blues in the days after so I had other priorities over asking the drs why exactly the decision was made.

That's tough going AprilAnon, what size is baby now? Is it the same hospital that you had the emergency section? Seems that were both ticking all the boxes but such different care plans.

Hi, yes same hospital. Baby is over 7 & a half pounds already with 3+ weeks to go.

It's really stressing me out.

Hi, yes same hospital. Baby is over 7 & a half pounds already with 3+ weeks to go.

It's really stressing me out.

How's everyone getting on? I'm 38w this weekend. Generally feeling pretty good, but absolutely floored today for some reason.

I officially got the go ahead for VBAC at the clinic last week. Dr did a quick scan and was very happy with the position of baby etc, so here's hoping!

• Advertisement

In today for induction. First round of gel just gave me cramps, second round in now and regular mediumish contractions since 4pm. Managing without painkillers but they've written me a pain script just in case. No dilation tho so looks like more gel in the morning if they can't manage to break my waters.

Have just sent himself home, staff in Waterford are amazing, each and everyone is so professional but kindhearted.

So 13.5 hours into induction and it's going great so far. Contractions are manageable and looking forward to the big work tomorrow. We always knew it'd be slow considering I'm only 37 weeks tomorrow.

How's everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

In today for induction. First round of gel just gave me cramps, second round in now and regular mediumish contractions since 4pm. Managing without painkillers but they've written me a pain script just in case. No dilation tho so looks like more gel in the morning if they can't manage to break my waters.

Have just sent himself home, staff in Waterford are amazing, each and everyone is so professional but kindhearted.

So 13.5 hours into induction and it's going great so far. Contractions are manageable and looking forward to the big work tomorrow. We always knew it'd be slow considering I'm only 37 weeks tomorrow.

How's everyone else?

Very exciting!!!!!!!!!! Tomorrow could be the day!!!!!

I'm 36+6 today
    Quite uncomfortable
    Had a scan yest and she's looking around 7lbs with a bit of Extra waters on board.
    Back again next Thurs and I'm hoping to talk them into at least a sweep
    They wouldn't even entertain intervention yesterday. I've never gone into labour myself, induced at 42 weeks on both, I'd nearly rather it now

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

How's everyone else?

All ok trixirl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

All ok trixirl?

Oh my god brilliant, how did you get on after?

So all 4 rounds of induction and an attempt to break my waters without dilatoon failed leading to a section on Sunday morning. Note- never consent to them trying to break your waters if you don't have decent dilaton- by far the most painful part of my pregnancy!

Though a bit daunting as I didn't ever really think I'd end up with a section, it was grand. Theatre staff were lovely and did everything they could to make me comfortable. I did request drapes to drop so I could see her coming out but my blood pressure decided to go a bit funny and they had more important things to sort at the crucial moment- I didn't even notice as I was in that half passed out stage. I do remember seeing her before she went to be weighed etc but then I did pass out. The spinal going in was uncomfortable but manageable and the sensation of the section itself was a bit nauseating and I had bad chest pain but that was likely my blood pressure again. They had to give me extra medication for that so I was unconscious in recovery so didn't get to do skin to skin unfortunately.

The upside of that was by the time I woke up and was in postnatal it was only an hour or so before I was wheeled up to neonatal to see her- the wait would have been much longer otherwise. Went up, breastfed her which was amazing! And geared myself up to not see her til the morning as per policy. Then the neonatal mgr came over and said she'd heard i was adamant I was getting her back (don't know from who but I had stated this to everyone on my case)! So they sent her down to me in postnatal around 3 hours later.

Shes amazing and we love her. I had a tiff with the midwifery manager to go home on day 3 as I found it very stressful on the ward as neither of us could sleep at night. She threatened me with the paeds consultant not "allowing" discharge but i stuck to my guns and we got home last night.

PHN was out today and all is great so we're happily settling into domestic bliss here! Didn't quite make it to April as had her on Sunday but couldn't ask for better! Looking so forward to hearing all your updates!

• Advertisement

Ah that's brilliant news trixirl! Delighted everything went good for you in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Huge congrats trix, god mammies really are superheroes if you knew all that before you went in ya’d be terrified and yet u flew through it. How’s ur blood pressure been since? Must have been scary on your partner. So glad she’s here safe and sound and your on the road to recovery and enjoying motherhood x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Skuxx wrote: »
    Just found out this week wife is pregnant with our first!! Went to the doctor today, due early April!!
    Can't quite believe it yet, we're so excited!! Please bear with me as there will be tonnes of questions!! :P

So just an update, our gorgeous baby boy arrived last Tuesday! My wife was induced Monday as she felt baby's movements had reduced. Two rounds of gel on Monday and the early pains started. We went to the labour ward Tuesday morning and he arrived just after lunch. All happened very quick according to the midwives but it felt like an eternity for me!!

Mum and baby are home and doing great. Baby has a touch of jaundice so we are in and out of the hospital getting his level checked but we're just thrilled to have him!!
    Congratulations to all the April parents who have had their babies and best of luck to those on the way!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Congrats all you April ladies who've had your babies so far!

It's my due date tomorrow, but my little guy will be 12 weeks old on Thursday which is crazy. He's doing great, but we are still in the NICU because he's not taking full bottle feeds yet. As of yesterday he's taking 3 bottles to 1 tube feed and we're just trying to wean him off the last of his oxygen support. Bit of fluid in his lungs too, but he's on medication to help with that. He started off at 980 grams (2lb 2oz) and is now a chunky 3.02kg (6lb 11oz) and has outgrown his tiny baby clothes and is in to newborn! Can't wait to get this little guy home.

Hi TrixIrl, huge congrats on your new arrival. Do you mind me asking what weight she came out, was the last scan fairly accurate in the end?

In on Friday for a section unless anything happens between now & then. I'll be just 3 days shy of my due date. I'm expecting a whopper baby :0

Hang in there Aprilanon, I am sure I posted before but my third (last May) really was a whopper.

They predicted a 7-8lb baby from a scan the day before he was born!!!!!

How's everyone getting on? I'm due tomorrow, it really doesn't feel like it though. Feel a lot different than with no1.

I am however absolutely exhausted the last few days, today was the 3rd day in a row I lay down and actually slept, I slept twice yesterday, it's not like me at all. I don't think it's exhaustion as such as I've been sleeping somewhat ok the last few days. I'm just completely lethargic, no get up and go at all. I'm on 2 iron tablets a day, so I can't be low on iron...... I don't know.

Today has been the first day that I'm a bit fed up and just want baby here, which isn't too bad. I've a max of 11 days either way before bubs will be here. I'm in at the clinic again on Monday, and I presume, because of the BH next weekend that I'll get a date for a section if bubs doesn't arrive of its own accord. They won't induce me because of previous section.

shesty wrote: »
    Hang in there Aprilanon, I am sure I posted before but my third (last May) really was a whopper.

They predicted a 7-8lb baby from a scan the day before he was born!!!!!

Thanks all, buster arrived on Friday - 8lbs 8 ozs. We are delighted 😊
    Not as big as I feared. Sturdy as some might say 🀣.
    Best of luck to all other April Mom's and Dad's.

Hi all, little girl arrived Sunday evening weighing in at 8lb 15oz.

How everyone's feeling good and all the baby's are behaving themselves!

Huge congrats aprilanon and scarepanda!

After 90 long days in the NICU we bought our little guy home last Wednesday, only 8 days after his due date! To say we're over the moon is an understatement.

• Advertisement

Congrats scaredpanda!

Honerbright, that's fantastic news. How is the little man settling in at home? It can be very scary coming out of the cocoon of the NICU! Only thing is that we found when our first baby came home from NICU he had a brilliant routine established. It's not the same this time around, the newbie is running the show - no routine!

Aprilanon wrote: »
    Congrats scaredpanda!

Honerbright, that's fantastic news. How is the little man settling in at home? It can be very scary coming out of the cocoon of the NICU! Only thing is that we found when our first baby came home from NICU he had a brilliant routine established. It's not the same this time around, the newbie is running the show - no routine!

Sorry for the late reply! Little guy is great and you're right about the routine, he's been a great night sleeper since we brought him home and never any issues with him. He's an absolute dream baby.

How are all the other April babies getting on? My little dude is 6 months now, but he's 3 adjusted so milestone wise we go by due date. He's rolling belly to back and has managed back to belly a few times. He gets super frustrated because he just wants to be on the move already. He's mad to put stuff in his mouth and chew but no sign of teeth yet. He's such a happy and chilled out kid. He's about 5.5kg now, well different from his 0.98 kg birth weight 😂

That's crazy that your little lad is 6 months already! Sounds like he's growing like crazy!

My girl is 3 months since yesterday. Can't believe it tbh, the time has flew by and yet it seems like she was never not here. She loves her sister and her daddy, lots and lots of smiles and giggles as soon as she sees either of them. She does be glued to her sister and finds her antics very entertaining! And we couldn't ask for anything better from our eldest. She absolutely adores the baby and is so loving and caring towards her.
    Madam is rolling back to front, but hasn't mastered front to back yet. She's teething as well for the last month or so, but seems to be handling it fairly well. She loves shoving her fist as far into her mouth as possible and sucking it. I'm not expecting any teeth to actually cut for another 3 or 4 months though.

Advertisement