Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring Cost

Options
  • 19-03-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice in regards to laying down a laminate wooden floor. We've decided to buy the below floor, and looking to get it fitted through the entire house (roughly 105 square metres). The house is a new build, so no floor to remove, will be overlayed over standard concrete floor.

We were looking to go with a local supplier, who is quite reasonable in regards to materiel costs, however have quoted roughly €750 to fit the floor. When I asked how long it would take, they said should not be more than a day. This just seems like a huge cost to lay a laminate wooden floor, where there is no removal of previous floors etc. Is this what people would expect to pay? Roughly 7 quid a square meter to lay?

Or is it something which people can do themselves? Would rather pay a professional than butcher it myself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

wardides wrote: »
    Looking for some advice in regards to laying down a laminate wooden floor. We've decided to buy the below floor, and looking to get it fitted through the entire house (roughly 105 square metres). The house is a new build, so no floor to remove, will be overlayed over standard concrete floor.

We were looking to go with a local supplier, who is quite reasonable in regards to materiel costs, however have quoted roughly €750 to fit the floor. When I asked how long it would take, they said should not be more than a day. This just seems like a huge cost to lay a laminate wooden floor, where there is no removal of previous floors etc. Is this what people would expect to pay? Roughly 7 quid a square meter to lay?

Or is it something which people can do themselves? Would rather pay a professional than butcher it myself!

Thats the same price i paid for the same sort of job, while it does seem like alot. the work was outstanding. and well worth the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Pay the price and have it finished properly.
    You will half do it ,butcher the corners or finishing at the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Definitely no issue paying it, just want to ensure that it's a reasonable amount, hard to compare as it's pure labour, and enough to be doing without ringing 3 or 4 fitters around so thought be just as easy to ask any experienced folk on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

What DIY about this? In my opinion laying laminate flooring is one of the easiest DIY jobs there are. You literally can't go wrong once you just put some sort of underlay below it. The only problem I can see is if the floors are actually not level but the 750 quid install job woudn't cover that sort of job.

The only tool you literally need is a jigsaw (if not in a hurry) or more preferably both a mitre saw and a jigsaw.

I lied. You also need a tape measure and pencil and maybe even a square edge if you want to go for a pro finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

How many room in the house it sounds like a 3 bed semi D. Are you doing kitchen utility etc. Have you bought all trims with the wood floor underlay plastic etc. Have you got door trims etc and has it to. e butted into tiles anywhere.

At a guess generally it will take a good trade's man about 2-3 hours per room. I imagine that there is at least 3 in the fitting outfit and they work on until the job is finished. They are more than likely VAT registeted or the shop has to charge you VAT. VAT on that sum is about 90 euro.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Sounds right for just laying the flooring even on the cheap side.
    I
    You would be paying a heck of a lot more if skirtings arcatraves ect to be done also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

That's a good price. Ignore people who tell you to lay it yourself..remember you're the one who's going to have to look at it if it doesn't turn out right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

How many men to do the job. €750 seems high for 1 but not for 2. I did a small room recently on my own and it took most of the day. I'm not a tradesman but handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

thegills wrote: »
    How many men to do the job. €750 seems high for 1 but not for 2. I did a small room recently on my own and it took most of the day. I'm not a tradesman but handy enough.

105 square meters it's not that small an area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Cheers for the responses, does seem to be about right judging by responses on here! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 james 17

price is fine , it can be tough work on knees and back for two men for a days work, if u fit yourself its when the frames and architrave gets fitted you might see the problem [gap or two]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

samih wrote: »
    What DIY about this? In my opinion laying laminate flooring is one of the easiest DIY jobs there are. You literally can't go wrong once you just put some sort of underlay below it. The only problem I can see is if the floors are actually not level but the 750 quid install job woudn't cover that sort of job.

The only tool you literally need is a jigsaw (if not in a hurry) or more preferably both a mitre saw and a jigsaw.

Assuming the floor is flat. If isn't, the diyer has no comback. Farming it out brings comfort. And comfort costs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

wardides wrote: »
    Cheers for the responses, does seem to be about right judging by responses on here! Thanks!

Take comfort in the possibility that the ppsqm was pitched low to draw you instore. And that the overall price is prob ain't bad. They hope to make a bit on laying to counter the cheap ppsqm.

Ask the installers before they start if the floor is flat enough - if they say yes they've confirmed the one thing that can mess things up big time. Assisting your (hopefully unnecessary) comeback ( bouncy floor)

OP, try your hand at it. Open a box or two and stick on a youtube tutorial on your phone.
    Worst case is you make a mess, and you're down a half a box of laminate.

€750 is mental money for a day's labour to install what is effectively a fancy lego set. You need €40 worth of tools, or €20 if you prefer, and a bit of time.

If you are gonna pay megabucks, make sure to get them to stick to a pattern on the floor to make it look more 'professional'. (for example, a 50/50 effect, where the pieces of laminate are staggered like a 'brick' formation, or a 70/30 effect for leading lines, etc. rather than just doing it the quick/easy DIY way, of using the last off-cut to start the next row, giving you a completely random series of joins throughout the floor).

OP, try your hand at it. Open a box or two and stick on a youtube tutorial on your phone.
    Worst case is you make a mess, and you're down a half a box of laminate.

€750 is mental money for a day's labour to install what is effectively a fancy lego set. You need €40 worth of tools, or €20 if you prefer, and a bit of time.

If you are gonna pay megabucks, make sure to get them to stick to a pattern on the floor to make it look more 'professional'. (for example, a 50/50 effect, where the pieces of laminate are staggered like a 'brick' formation, or a 70/30 effect for leading lines, etc. rather than just doing it the quick/easy DIY way, of using the last off-cut to start the next row, giving you a completely random series of joins throughout the floor).

First off it is not a days labour. It will be 2-3 lads that lay the timber floor's in a day. Trying to carry out a brick effect or any pattern can lead to a lot of waste as because all wood flooring comes in varied lengths it is quite hard to use a pattern effect on the floor. It is not just a matter of cutting the ends off you also have to set up the wood floor so as not to have a thin strip on one side of the room and end up trying to cut that. I definately would not advise using a jigsaw for it. But along with the saw you will either need a timber bench of some sort or a mitre saw

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4598707/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/3%7C19805469%7CPower+tools%7C14418763/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418763%7CSaws%7C14418782.htm

If the skirtings or archtraving are not fitted in the house yet approach the carpenter who will be doing them and get a price to lay your flooring from him

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

All the "have a go" lads here have forgotten the most important part of the job is to "mark it out".

It's very easy to click laminate boards together all day long but the hard part of flooring is knowing where is the best place to start and if the first board laid should be a full board from the packet.

A job that size is worth ringing every professional fitter within a reasonable distance and asking them to beat the lowest quote you have.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Ah lads 7euro a square yard,its money well spent.its a hard job on the knees and they will earn their money.Also the lads will do a professional job around door frames etc.

mick121 wrote: »
    Ah lads 7euro a square yard,its money well spent.its a hard job on the knees and they will earn their money.Also the lads will do a professional job around door frames etc.

In fairness 100+ square meters is a lot of packets of flooring so maybe 750 is not that bad price after all. I wouldn't pay the money but if you're not used to DIY projects I understand the reluctancy to take on the job.

But getting somebody to fit flooring is definitely not DIY. Asking about this at the DIY section is like begging for constructive feedback.

First off it is not a days labour. It will be 2-3 lads that lay the timber floor's in a day. Trying to carry out a brick effect or any pattern can lead to a lot of waste as because all wood flooring comes in varied lengths it is quite hard to use a pattern effect on the floor. It is not just a matter of cutting the ends off you also have to set up the wood floor so as not to have a thin strip on one side of the room and end up trying to cut that. I definately would not advise using a jigsaw for it. But along with the saw you will either need a timber bench of some sort or a mitre saw

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4598707/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/3%7C19805469%7CPower+tools%7C14418763/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418763%7CSaws%7C14418782.htm

If the skirtings or archtraving are not fitted in the house yet approach the carpenter who will be doing them and get a price to lay your flooring from him

My own downstairs floor is all laminate and is done in a 50/50 brick pattern. It's really easy to do (though i agree with you, that there's more waste).

Problem with laying a laminate floor is unless you're separating the rooms with floor joins, only really two people can do a floor at a time (one cutting, one installing and measuring). Maybe Im wrong, but i thought OP hinted that it was 2 people (or perhaps im just inventing that in my head for some reason) which would still be €300 into the pocket for a day of relatively easy labour. The lads are doing well to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

My own downstairs floor is all laminate and is done in a 50/50 brick pattern. It's really easy to do (though i agree with you, that there's more waste).

Problem with laying a laminate floor is unless you're separating the rooms with floor joins, only really two people can do a floor at a time (one cutting, one installing and measuring). Maybe Im wrong, but i thought OP hinted that it was 2 people (or perhaps im just inventing that in my head for some reason) which would still be €300 into the pocket for a day of relatively easy labour. The lads are doing well to get it.

A proper professional timber floor fitter would not treat the rooms as separate areas if doing the whole ground floor in the same wood, it would be done in one continuous flow.

As I said previously, it's no bother clicking boards together all day long but the real skill is in marking out the job beforehand so that when it is finished each room/area looks as symmetrical as possible.

When any professional does what they do best they can make it look easy but it's wrong to say it's easy labour, granted it's a handy few bob for a days work for two men but not many men are capable of doing it right.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I'm in the sounds reasonable camp.

I just had two lads lay laminate in our kitchen - €1500. Its a lovely job. Especially when I compare it to the abomanation me and the Father in Law did 5 years earlier in the lounge.

If I can afford it I'll get the professionals in everytime = banned from DIY forum :o

100m of laminate is no job for an amateur,if it's not done correctly it will be pretty obvious. Tiling is the same,I'd rather pay someone and have done with it.

100m of laminate is no job for an amateur,if it's not done correctly it will be pretty obvious. Tiling is the same,I'd rather pay someone and have done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Idonotknow

Sorry to open back up but I’ve been quoted 1500 for a sitting room, 2 double beds, a box room and a landing - not including materials.

Surely that’s way too much?

Idonotknow wrote: »
    Sorry to open back up but I’ve been quoted 1500 for a sitting room, 2 double beds, a box room and a landing - not including materials.

Surely that’s way too much?

How many sq meters are they

Slava Ukrainii

My own downstairs floor is all laminate and is done in a 50/50 brick pattern.

Can we see a picture ?
    You mean every second joint is in a line?
    And it was done on purpose ?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 uberua

We are looking for a quote for fitting laminate flooring in the living room (around 20m2). If someone can advise a good fitter in Cork with reasonable fees for the job, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

• Advertisement
Advertisement