Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

digzy wrote: »
    Tbf it’s a similar side which delivered in ‘16 to the one which faded so badly last season and is there now.

Never like loosing games but in September I doubt any of us will be giving the league a second thought.

I was only talking earlier to one of our all Ireland winners and both of us couldn’t understand why Sheedy played so many of the same players in all the games. Do fellas the wrong side of 30 really need to be played every week?

No manager was gonna have a clear out of the old guard, primarily because they’re top players who’ve delivered before ( and I hope they do again). However, injuries may have dictated his selections.

I hate things like this but I'll say it anyway - the last time Tipp won an All-Ireland, they lost a league quarter final by a point. I think.

Some players just hit 30. I don't think anyone has hit 31 yet.

We had a bad run in of injuries and bad form into a new type of Munster championship format that Michael Ryan badly judged. He tried to rotate for the opening game and it came a cropper. It had started with the league final.I'm relieved we're out of the league to be honest. These players play too much. J McG is still trying to get right after that Loughmore crisis of fixtures and a horrible groin injury that he kept playing on.

Sheedy is very conservative in selection and tactics. O'Shea is not. It was a combination. Sheedy a backs man. O'Shea a forwards man.

Seamie Callanan was a sub when Sheedy won the minor and senior All-Irelands. That might be a factor in both their heads. But I'm sure they sort it. Both have come a long way since then. But Callana would not be a Sheedy or Cahill kind of player. He's definitely an O'Shea type.

I think Sheedy wants a huge performance against Cork down in Cork to get the ball rolling. Because those fixtures are so tight together - it's very important to get momentum from the get-go. And yes he is trying to play lads into super fitness and form from the get-go. I think Sheedy needs to be more open minded with the likes of English, Brian McGrath, and Kehoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

A lot of teams are playing a diamond around the edge of the square. Two in front of the square and another player about five to ten yards ahead of that two. Leaving the space in the corners - and running out to ball moved out to the wing. Tipp started with that formation yesterday. Nothing to stop them having three full forwards in there. I'd prefer it to be Forde, Kehoe, and Jake at this stage. BUt we should have already seen that in this league.

Is there alternative term for this other than “diamond formation”? Just sounds a bit Terry Venablesish ;)

Must admit, being too stubbornly old school I’m not the best at keeping up with all this tactical innovation. I’d just trust a guy with EOS to come up with an effective system. We have a lot of very good, skillful forwards on paper, but seeing them as a fully functioning and deadly unit is another matter.

I would think all ire sf is a fair minimum target for us this year, but would be far less confident about it without Dan. He’s the key man for me. Seems to me we have guys who can step up on any given day and deliver a performance, but not enough who will be 7/10 or better every day. Dan is one of those guys and we badly need him imo.

Is there alternative term for this other than “diamond formation”? Just sounds a bit Terry Venablesish ;)

Must admit, being too stubbornly old school I’m not the best at keeping up with all this tactical innovation. I’d just trust a guy with EOS to come up with an effective system. We have a lot of very good, skillful forwards on paper, but seeing them as a fully functioning and deadly unit is another matter.

I would think all ire sf is a fair minimum target for us this year, but would be far less confident about it without Dan. He’s the key man for me. Seems to me we have guys who can step up on any given day and deliver a performance, but not enough who will be 7/10 or better every day. Dan is one of those guys and we badly need him imo.

Phwoaarrrrrr. did Terry not prefer the Christmas tree formation?? :D

I agree we need Dan. For me, he offers far more than Bonnar and i say this as a big fan of the Lorrha lion.

Hard to know whats going on with Seamie at the moment. hes way out of sorts and looks as if he hasnt hit a ball in quite some time.

I hate things like this but I'll say it anyway - the last time Tipp won an All-Ireland, they lost a league quarter final by a point. I think.

Some players just hit 30. I don't think anyone has hit 31 yet.

We had a bad run in of injuries and bad form into a new type of Munster championship format that Michael Ryan badly judged. He tried to rotate for the opening game and it came a cropper. It had started with the league final.I'm relieved we're out of the league to be honest. These players play too much. J McG is still trying to get right after that Loughmore crisis of fixtures and a horrible groin injury that he kept playing on.

Sheedy is very conservative in selection and tactics. O'Shea is not. It was a combination. Sheedy a backs man. O'Shea a forwards man.

Seamie Callanan was a sub when Sheedy won the minor and senior All-Irelands. That might be a factor in both their heads. But I'm sure they sort it. Both have come a long way since then. But Callana would not be a Sheedy or Cahill kind of player. He's definitely an O'Shea type.

I think Sheedy wants a huge performance against Cork down in Cork to get the ball rolling. Because those fixtures are so tight together - it's very important to get momentum from the get-go. And yes he is trying to play lads into super fitness and form from the get-go. I think Sheedy needs to be more open minded with the likes of English, Brian McGrath, and Kehoe.

Agree with everything here. Spot on

digzy wrote: »
    Tbf it’s a similar side which delivered in ‘16 to the one which faded so badly last season and is there now.

Never like loosing games but in September I doubt any of us will be giving the league a second thought.

I was only talking earlier to one of our all Ireland winners and both of us couldn’t understand why Sheedy played so many of the same players in all the games. Do fellas the wrong side of 30 really need to be played every week?

No manager was gonna have a clear out of the old guard, primarily because they’re top players who’ve delivered before ( and I hope they do again). However, injuries may have dictated his selections.

I will say this, Ryan chopped and changed so much last year. Sheedy wants experience where necessary (and to be fair he didnt have a full deck to play with). He may also want to establish a core of a team

A 20-year-old Bonnar Maher didnt hit a ball in the 2010 league aside from the final Offaly game so more youngsters may come into play yet.

Hard to predict front 6 i think. Lot of possible permutations. Wherever you think players should or could play, fact is Forde, Callanan and Kehoe would all be happiest at full. I’m glad it’s sheedy and O’Shea sorting that conundrum out and not me.

But will O'Shea be solving anything?

The statement said he will be advisor to management after the league. Will he'll be working with the players or with management?

I think one way of bringing in a new coach without stepping on Egan's or Dunne's toes is as an advisor to them and not doing their job for them.

Also how bad was the pull on Joe o'Dwyer? Was opposite side of field to me. Heard it rather than saw it. Sheedy and Egan went buck.

Less than a minute later - goalkeeper sends a short puck out to O'Dwyer. O'Dwyer loses the ball to a Dublin player. Point. Inexperience from the keeper. No short pucks to lads who have just been treated for a bang to the head. Lesson learned.

Shiny Triangle?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

The statement said he will be advisor to management after the league. Will he'll be working with the players or with management?

I think one way of bringing in a new coach without stepping on Egan's or Dunne's toes is as an advisor to them and not doing their job for them.

Also how bad was the pull on Joe o'Dwyer? Was opposite side of field to me. Heard it rather than saw it. Sheedy and Egan went buck.

Less than a minute later - goalkeeper sends a short puck out to O'Dwyer. O'Dwyer loses the ball to a Dublin player. Point. Inexperience from the keeper. No short pucks to lads who have just been treated for a bang to the head. Lesson learned.
    I was talking to a fella after the match and he said Sutcliffe should have gone a lot earlier and the ref bottled it. That most have been what he was taking about.
    It sounded like a fair wallop from the new stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    I was talking to a fella after the match and he said Sutcliffe should have gone a lot earlier and the ref bottled it. That most have been what he was taking about.

Open to correction - last year we played the Dubs in Croke Park for the League Quarter Final. Ronan Maher got sent off for two yellows but Danny Sutcliffe had a high strike on Paudie Maher and also should have got the line then too. Hes been lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Ompala wrote: »
    Open to correction - last year we played the Dubs in Croke Park for the League Quarter Final. Ronan Maher got sent off for two yellows but Danny Sutcliffe had a high strike on Paudie Maher and also should have got the line then too. Hes been lucky.

Is this the same Paudie Maher that smashed Michael Rice's hand and got away with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Grats wrote: »
    Is this the same Paudie Maher that smashed Michael Rice's hand and got away with it?

It is unless you know of a second paudie Maher who is currently playing for tipp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

In a game in which Tipp got three times as many frees as Dublin, you can hardly accuse the ref of bottling it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It’s a fair question and answer is i don’t really know. But my thinking is if liam only wanted EOS back as a mere adviser, it could be done in a much more discreet way than they are doing it. Not sure if he’s at all the training sessions or just some, but he wouldn’t have to be so visible at matches either. Maybe somewhere between coach and adviser? And I’d be surprised if he wasn’t dealing with players or that they couldn’t contact him if they so desired at the very least.

How it all impacts on Tommy I’ve no idea tbh. Maybe Liam spelled it out about EOS possible arrival before he came on board because I’m pretty sure that was Liam’s intention all along.

Tipp 77 wrote: »

Sutcliffe is a hot head. Wasn't his first or last red.

We've learned a lot about players who lose their cool in this league.

Tony Kelly can be got to. Sutcliffe. Lehane. Hardney.

On a seperate note, Cork and Kilkenny tried to pull a fast one by leaving out their sent off players despite being told they were available. It's an effort to have them availble for championship. That will comeback to haunt them. It doesn't work like that...

If anyone has a season ticket they I mailed them to today because mine hasn't been updated for the Dublin game yet and they said the weekend Hurling Fixtures should be going through tomorrow

My Championship team for the 1st round:

Paul Maher

Barrett Barry R Maher

R Byrne B Maher P Maher

McCormack Noelie

Kehoe John McGrath O'Meara

Morris Forde Seamie

I think that's the most assured and best spine we have. Brendan has the pace and intelligence to protect the wings. Also has good delivery. That said switching Paudie to 6 or Brendan to the wing is an easy swap. I just think against Cork that Brendan would do a greta job from center back. John McG is the forward that has the best skillset and mindset for centre forward. O'Meara is great but he is not at the level of John McG in terms of all-round game. If John McG wasn't working at center forward, I'd move Dan there. I like the idea of the forwards moving around. It works to an extent. I wouldn't move John McG or Forde though - I'd rotate the rest around them. We'd have some good options off the bench then - Bubbles, Breen, Bonnar, Willie Connors, English, Flynn, Kennedy, Brian McGrath, Cadell, Heffernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

My Championship team for the 1st round:

Paul Maher

Barrett Barry R Maher

R Byrne B Maher P Maher

McCormack Noelie

Kehoe John McGrath O'Meara

Morris Forde Seamie

I think that's the most assured and best spine we have. Brendan has the pace and intelligence to protect the wings. Also has good delivery. That said switching Paudie to 6 or Brendan to the wing is an easy swap. I just think against Cork that Brendan would do a greta job from center back. John McG is the forward that has the best skillset and mindset for centre forward. O'Meara is great but he is not at the level of John McG in terms of all-round game. If John McG wasn't working at center forward, I'd move Dan there. I like the idea of the forwards moving around. It works to an extent. I wouldn't move John McG or Forde though - I'd rotate the rest around them. We'd have some good options off the bench then - Bubbles, Breen, Bonnar, Willie Connors, English, Flynn, Kennedy, Brian McGrath, Cadell, Heffernan.

I broadly agree with you. Move Dan into the forward line, Breen to centre field, no place for Callanan based on his league form. Team is in need of surgical treatment.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    I broadly agree with you. Move Dan into the forward line, Breen to centre field, no place for Callanan based on his league form. Team is in need of surgical treatment.

Yeah, it's hard to argue for Seamie at the moment. Was still better against Dublin than Bubbles the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

Tipp Team for Sunday :

Evan Comerford
    Alan Campbell
    John Meagher
    Emmett Moloney
    Kevin Fahey
    Daire Brennan
    Jimmy Feehan
    Steven O'Brien
    Liam Casey
    Jack Kennedy
    Liam McGrath
    Brian Fox
    Philip Austin
    Conor Sweeney
    Michael Quinlivan

• Advertisement

Its a pity that the Tipperary County Board could not see its way to putting today's team on its website.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Its a pity that the Tipperary County Board could not see its way to putting today's team on its website.

https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA/status/1109199207796232197?s=19

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Disappointing to lose today regardless of the Cork/Armagh result. Injuries caught up on us. Hopefully, we get all the big guns back for the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

hard luck to the tipp footballers today , it was an excellent game to be fair , conor sweeneys performance alone was worth the admission ,

liam mcgrath and stephan o'brian had solid games too , is it likely they could go hurling again next year , surly liam has the pedigree to be a serious hurler, if they do they would be huge loss's

even if tipperary won today they probably would have gone down at the expense of corks win , i imagine liam kerins will need to have a good championship to keep his job for next year , only 2 years of division two football for a side that contested an all ireland semi final 3 years ago and one of the best full forward lines in the country poor showing from him really

hard luck to the tipp footballers today , it was an excellent game to be fair , conor sweeneys performance alone was worth the admission ,

liam mcgrath and stephan o'brian had solid games too , is it likely they could go hurling again next year , surly liam has the pedigree to be a serious hurler, if they do they would be huge loss's

even if tipperary won today they probably would have gone down at the expense of corks win , i imagine liam kerins will need to have a good championship to keep his job for next year , only 2 years of division two football for a side that contested an all ireland semi final 3 years ago and one of the best full forward lines in the country poor showing from him really

Well done to Clare on staying up and best of luck to them for the rest of the year. Fully deserved of the three teams in the relegation battle.

Injuries hampered our league campaign big time to be fair to Kearns but I'm wondering if things have gone a bit stale tactically at the same time? Our pattern of play is very predictable and repetitive and our discipline is shocking at times. We coughed up 3-16 today and most of that was from play. Poor stuff really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Well done to Clare on staying up and best of luck to them for the rest of the year. Fully deserved of the three teams in the relegation battle.

Injuries hampered our league campaign big time to be fair to Kearns but I'm wondering if things have gone a bit stale tactically at the same time? Our pattern of play is very predictable and repetitive and our discipline is shocking at times. We coughed up 3-16 today and most of that was from play. Poor stuff really

i taught the same watching today that they were set up all wrong , brian fox playing so deep also was a fairly poor call , in terms of defenders both counties are very light at the back at the moment , few years ago paddy codd used to destroy david tubridy , he never gave him a sniff today the full back line was wide open , i doubt tipp will stay down in 3 for too long the only fear is losing promising players like mcgrath to hurling

• Advertisement

i taught the same watching today that they were set up all wrong , brian fox playing so deep also was a fairly poor call , in terms of defenders both counties are very light at the back at the moment , few years ago paddy codd used to destroy david tubridy , he never gave him a sniff today the full back line was wide open , i doubt tipp will stay down in 3 for too long the only fear is losing promising players like mcgrath to hurling

McGrath was a very good underage hurler and got a few runs out with Mick Ryan in the league and personally i thought he warranted a place on the panel. He worked harder then many corner forwards we had. O'Brien looked decent too but i wonder if Mick feels he is a bit rash? Certainly, in the football, he is a very poor tackler and its an aspect of his game i feel he needs to improve on.
    Maybe both feel the ship has sailed regarding the hurling at this stage but if Kearns moves on after this year who knows.

If I could pick two that we are definitely in danger of losing in future its Paul Maher from Kilsheelan and Paudie Feehan from Killenaule. Im absolutely gobsmacked Liam Sheedy didn't call them up but at the same time I wonder if both decided to opt for football beforehand as they felt Mick Ryan was staying on and they wouldnt get a game with him? Feehan was an excellent wing back in the league last year but we didnt see him in the championship. He played centre forward for the All ireland winning u21 team last year and acted as a stopper rather than a scorer

Anyway im glad one of us could stay up. Nothing against Cork football but it would be good for Munster football if new challengers could emerge.

My fear is that we will waste an excellent generation of young footballers. Id love for Sweeney and Quinlivan to get one crack at the top division.

Liam Kearns has brought this team as far as he can. It is now time to thank him sincerely and ask him to move on and wish him every good luck in the future.

He has significantly raised the profile of football in the county and it is now time for a another good manager to take it further.

Liam Kearns has brought this team as far as he can. It is now time to thank him sincerely and ask him to move on and wish him every good luck in the future.

He has significantly raised the profile of football in the county and it is now time for another good manager to take it further.

Good as time as id have for Liam the man, I'd be of the same opinion that things have gone stale under him but give him the championship at the very least?? :eek:

What good would it do removing a manager now???

And who exactly would take over at this point?? We are not exactly brimming with options and even staying local, the options are thin on the ground. To be honest, I'm worried that the wheels are falling off this whole project.

Id disagree that he has raised the profile of football in the county at least not to the level it needs to be at but to be fair to Liam that is as much the Tipperary publics fault as it is any fault of Liam himself who in spite of all we achieved in 16 and 17, the crowds still don't bother to go to Tipperary football matches.

Yesterday was a huge hammer blow and to be honest, id struggle to be optimistic for Tipperary football over the next few years. I think we are just as likely to go back to division four as we are to promote back to division two.

The style of play is the same from senior to minor and everyone has us copped. Hard to see where the players are going to come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

The Tipperary minor football panel for their upcoming Munster minor Championship campaign has been announced. More info on the panel, with the Tipp men set to take on Waterford, in their Munster Championship opener next Wednesday, in the link below.

Is there any dual players with both the minor hurling and football panel this year? Not 100% on that question that I just asked, but I'm sure posters from the Premier County will help me out on that issue. My own county Clare play Tipp the following Wednesday (17th April) in this round-robin format, with Limerick rounding off the 4 teams. Cork and Kerry are set to take part later in the championship, once a winner from those other four Munster teams is confirmed.

https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/sport/372682/tipperary-name-minor-football-panel-ahead-of-opening-championship-clash-with-waterford-on-april-10.html

Double post

• Advertisement

The Tipperary minor football panel for their upcoming Munster minor Championship campaign has been announced. More info on the panel, with the Tipp men set to take on Waterford, in their Munster Championship opener next Wednesday, in the link below.

Is there any dual players with both the minor hurling and football panel this year? Not 100% on that question that I just asked, but I'm sure posters from the Premier County will help me out on that issue. My own county Clare play Tipp the following Wednesday (17th April) in this round-robin format, with Limerick rounding off the 4 teams. Cork and Kerry are set to take part later in the championship, once a winner from those other four Munster teams is confirmed.

https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/sport/372682/tipperary-name-minor-football-panel-ahead-of-opening-championship-clash-with-waterford-on-april-10.html

Minor hurling panel hasn't been named yet afaik as the championship runs alongside the Senior championship in a round robin format also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

4-13 to 0-7 win for Minor Football squad against Waterford this evening
    Next wednesday play Clare in Cusack Park

Tipperary, along with Waterford, Clare and Limerick will play a round-robin format over three consecutive Wednesday’s, away to Clare (17th) before returning to Tipperary Town to face Limerick (24th), with the top two teams progressing to a second round-robin with both Kerry and Cork in May, with the top two teams from there progressing to the provincial final in in June.

Tipperary Minor Footballers through to Final against Clare

Tipperary 0-10 Limerick0-10

24/4Sean Treacy Park Tipperary Town

Phase 1 Final

Clare V Tipperary

7/5
    Neutral Venue TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Premierpride

Flynn looks to be the only worry for Tipperary ahead of the Cork clash, Hurler on the Ditch on Twitter (@HurlerD) had the team for the Laois game a few weeks back.
    Hogan,
    Barrett,Barry, Mouse,
    Brendan, Paidi, Ronan
    Breen, Noel
    Bonner, Bubbles, NOM
    Morris, Seamie, Forde

Looks like close to our strongest 15 (less Dan Mc) which doesnt fill me with confidence, Has there been any players brought into the panel since the league? Dillon Quirke looked impressive last year and against Borrisoleigh for Clonoulty.

Would like to see what kind of a team they put out against Offaly last weekend in Tullamore, 2:29 to 4:18 win. looks like a shootout in the pairc in a few weeks, vry worried about Half backs against Lehane, Harnedy and probably Robbie o Flynn who is a bullet!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Flynn looks to be the only worry for Tipperary ahead of the Cork clash, Hurler on the Ditch on Twitter (@HurlerD) had the team for the Laois game a few weeks back.
    Hogan,
    Barrett,Barry, Mouse,
    Brendan, Paidi, Ronan
    Breen, Noel
    Bonner, Bubbles, NOM
    Morris, Seamie, Forde

Looks like close to our strongest 15 (less Dan Mc) which doesnt fill me with confidence, Has there been any players brought into the panel since the league? Dillon Quirke looked impressive last year and against Borrisoleigh for Clonoulty.

Would like to see what kind of a team they put out against Offaly last weekend in Tullamore, 2:29 to 4:18 win. looks like a shootout in the pairc in a few weeks, vry worried about Half backs against Lehane, Harnedy and probably Robbie o Flynn who is a bullet!
    Proud Tipp man and first time poster on the gaa page , but after watching Ronan the snail in thurles last summer , it’s hard to believe he’s still lining out at this level . John mc is surely good enough for this Tipp team

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Premierpride

Ronan seems to be another in the 'Beautiful striker of the ball but caught for pace' category! John Mac or Forde should be the focal point of the attack, John & Seamies form have been poor however so I would go with Forde.

Team V offaly:
    D5WT5JUXkAAP_Cn.jpg

In my eyes, based on the league performances and the obvious lack of pace in the '2008 crew' you could make a argument for the majority of this team starting based on league form (less the Fullback line, Seamus Kennedy, Tom Fox & Mark McCarthy)

The Tipperary team to play Clare in the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Football Championship Phase 1 Final at LIT Gaelic Grounds this Wednesday (May 8) at 7pm has been announced by manager Matt O'Doherty.

There is just one change in the starting personnel from round 3 as Jamie Holloway (Carrick Swan) makes his first appearance of the campaign having recovered from injury to take his place among the forwards.

The team lines out as follows:

1. James Griffin - Upperchurch-Drombane
    2. Christy McDonagh - Cahir
    3. Tadhg Condon - Clonmel Commercials
    4. Emmet Butler - Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    5. James Armstrong - Thurles Sarsfields
    6. Donagh Hickey - Arravale Rovers
    7. Conor Shanahan - Inane Rovers
    8. Paddy Creedon (Vice-Capt.) - Thurles Sarsfields
    9. Tom Tobin - Rosegreen
    10. Luke Seacy - Inane Rovers
    11. Rory Collins - Moyle Rovers
    12. Ben Comerford - Grangemockler-Ballyneale
    13. Eoin McCarthy - Clonmel Commercials
    14. Kyle Shelly (Capt.) - Moycarkey-Borris
    15. Jamie Holloway – Carrick Swan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Where does everybody think we are at ahead of the weekend?

Not feeling too positive myself.

Mokuba wrote: »
    Where does everybody think we are at ahead of the weekend?

Not feeling too positive myself.
    I'd optimistic enough to be honest. We are coming in under the radar a bit which is no harm but it's the players who are available that weren't there this time last year that would give me hope. I could be wrong but from memory
    Cathal Barret,James Barry, Joe O'Dwyer, Mick Breen, Brendan Maher, Niall O'Meara and Seamus Callinan didn't start or weren't even on the Bench for the first game against Limerick last year. Add in Jake Morris and Rob Byrne and we have a fair stronger panel to start this year at least.
    We still might not be good enough to win but we won't be starting with four championship debutants like last year.
    John McGrath having no hurling in him this year and Seamus Callinan having no form would be major worries along with no pace in the half back line

• Advertisement

As a Clare man I feel that Tipp will reach an Munster final and All-Ireland final at least this year. I am expecting savage workrate and intensity from Liam Sheedy's men this year. Along with the addition of Eamonn O'Shea an outstanding coach and innovator to the Tipp backroom team, I think that fans in the Premier county can expect a most positive 2019. I believe that a fit Brendan Maher will be huge for the Tipp men. Jason Forde, Seamus Callanan, Jake Morris, Noel McGrath, John McGrath and if back to his 2016 best, Bubbles will be huge players for what Sheedy is trying to implement his pressing attacking style to his side. Those 6 alone will put up at least 18 to 20 points between them in most matches.

The big question is always about their defense. I would expect some of the 6 players that I mentioned to drop back deep and offer protection and do their own job in tracking Cork's running game on Sunday.

For the record, I do expect Tipp to have wins over Cork, Waterford and Clare. That will mean 6 points from 3 matches and with Limerick on the last game of the Munster Championship round robin and if as expected they also achieve 3 wins from 3 before the 16th of June clash then get set for one hell of a Munster final between both teams, come the last day in June.

As a Clare man I feel that Tipp will reach an Munster final and All-Ireland final at least this year. I am expecting savage workrate and intensity from Liam Sheedy's men this year. Along with the addition of Eamonn O'Shea an outstanding coach and innovator to the Tipp backroom team, I think that fans in the Premier county can expect a most positive 2019. I believe that a fit Brendan Maher will be huge for the Tipp men. Jason Forde, Seamus Callanan, Jake Morris, Noel McGrath, John McGrath and if back to his 2016 best, Bubbles will be huge players for what Sheedy is trying to implement his pressing attacking style to his side. Those 6 alone will put up at least 18 to 20 points between them in most matches.

The big question is always about their defense. I would expect some of the 6 players that I mentioned to drop back deep and offer protection and do their own job in tracking Cork's running game on Sunday.

For the record, I do expect Tipp to have wins over Cork, Waterford and Clare. That will mean 6 points from 3 matches and with Limerick on the last game of the Munster Championship round robin and if as expected they also achieve 3 wins from 3 before the 16th of June clash then get set for one hell of a Munster final between both teams, come the last day in June.

Hope your right !

Football.

Clare minors too strong for Tipp.

Clare : 3: 12 Tipperary: 0:06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

All the games this weekend will be fascinating. Must admit, will be travelling down to Cork in hope more than expectation. Can't help but feel this Tipp team has been in decline for the last 2 years, and that too many of our big stars have seen their best days. Corks movement and pace can be mesmerizing when they get going. Will be interesting to see how we counter that. Good point made above though about Tipp being in a much better place injury wise than 12 months ago. That starting lineup in Limerick was all over the shop, should be better settled going into this weekend. Is Brendan Maher likely to start? Didn't do much hurling in the league.

Football.

Clare minors too strong for Tipp.

Clare : 3: 12 Tipperary: 0:06

Thats a savage hiding. Id have to wonder as to the resources being put into underage football. We've gone backwards rapidly after producing some top notch underage teams between 09 and 15

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Thats a savage hiding. Id have to wonder as to the resources being put into underage football. We've gone backwards rapidly after producing some top notch underage teams between 09 and 15
    I know that in some cases young lads are being asked to chose between hurling and football a lot earlier. There's all sorts of uproar going on about this in my club at the moment.

Football will always be the poor relation in Tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

Anyone throwing up a stab at a team?

Goalkeeper Hogan or Maher

Barrett, Barry, Mouse Dywer or Alan Flynn
    Brendan, Ronan, Paidi

Breen and Noel McGrath
    Dan McC, Bubbles, Niall O Meara or John McGrath
    Jason Forde, Seamie, Jake Morriss

Don't know about John McGrath's fitness, if fully fit then a definite starter, preferably on the half forward line.
    Would Robert Byrne squeeze in corner Back? Any word on Brian McGrath, was hoping at the start of the year he'd make a case for the full back line.

Definitely feel we're stronger than last year, Tossie Hamill, Seamus Kennedy Donagh Maher weren't good enough in defence.

Bench options, one of the above seven forwards, Robert Byrne, Mark Kehoe, Kilian Dwyer, Willie Connors.
    Would actually like to see Willie Connors make the team out around the middle, he brings an energy none of our other players have, but unfortunately he hasn't grasped his chances great so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

Brian Hogan

Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Sean O’Brien

Ronan Maher, Brendan Maher, Paudie Maher

Noel McGrath, Mikey Breen

Bonnar Maher, Seamie Callanan (Captain), Niall O' Meara

John McGrath, Jason Forde, Bubbles O'Dwyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

That the tem belly or the one you think it will be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

farmerval wrote: »
    That the tem belly or the one you think it will be?

Thats the team, think ronan might be centre back and brendan on the wing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement