Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable sun holiday in June 2019 with a young family?

Options
  • 17-03-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Is this possible? Everybody is saying it will be a lot of work (they're 2 & 4 years old), but where would be a good location? We've never gone on a family holiday abroad before, and the only thing aside from the sea that we would need to be near is a hospital. Ideally, I'd like to be able to bring them to loads of cultural and historic things, but I suspect my preferences will be irrelevant.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Define affordable, whats your budget.

Certainly different with young kids but once you manage (your own) expectations you will have a great time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

As Damienmc mentioned, it'll be a lot more affordable because it's before the July / August madness where prices skyrocket!

2 & 4 would be a bit young to really focus on cultural and historical things. I'm sure they're a handful, so I'd be sure you focus moreso on facilities for you and them.
    You'll have years ahead of you to bore them senseless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

We are going to Feurtaventura for a week at the beginning of June.

It's a cheapo all inclusive. A decent splash pool for the very small person on the family. two other pools for the bigger peeps.

All-inclusive suits us cos the kids can knock themselves out with ice creams and drinks all day, and dining areas aren't too formal.

This may suit not everybody but we like the week in the sun and pool.

Booked online through loveholidays, they usually have loads of options and you don't need to have a specific resort in mind, you can do a search for 'anywhere' in the search function.

we paid 1800 for two adults, two kids, travel insurance, transfers, 2 x 20kg bags on all inc basis, but they have plenty of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

OK, as we haven't gone abroad before I wasn't sure how much it would be. Would €3000 cover two weeks in a four star hotel near the sea?
    All inclusive sounds good, but as neither of us drink, would it be a waste of money?

I'm finding it difficult to find a website that allows a search of flights and accommodation packages to "all destinations". Most companies want me to search each country at a time. Is there any search website which allows me to search over many countries at once?

On potential dates in June, the nearest I've found is Trivago, but it only searches hotel accommodation. I found a 5 * hotel with a 'Family room' in the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel Spa in Albufeira, Portugal for €2004 bed and breakfast for 14 nights. What should I be searching for for kids this age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Loveholidays will allow you to search from either a specific Irish airport of your choice or ANY irish airport.
    You also do not need to specify destination. You can choose the option ANYWHERE in the search function.

I dunno about budget. never do 4 or 5 star. Usually 2 or 3 star.
    Give loveholidays a try and see what comes up.

My husband doesn't drink at all, and I wouldn't bother much on a family hol. However I loath cooking and cleaning on hols so all meals are out which is costly on self catering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭kindalen

Would you consider France by boat? Very handy with young kids to be able to fill your car with all their stuff.

With young kids a hotel with a kids club/creche is always great for them, however at that age they will probably require a parent to be present.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Identical situation as yourself and looking for June also. With kids that age you just need a hotel with pool and town and shops nearby.. Keep it easy! We went to mallorca last year.. Cala D'ór and it was great and very child friendly. Just booked through Tui. Half Board was great as with kids you need casual eating and no walking around all evening trying to decide where to go. Have to accept limitations at this stage in life!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

kindalen wrote: »
    Would you consider France by boat? Very handy with young kids to be able to fill your car with all their stuff.

With young kids a hotel with a kids club/creche is always great for them, however at that age they will probably require a parent to be present.
    I was going to suggest similar, although the requirement of sun seems high. France can be hit and miss, although try the west coast for best chance, and further south as your drive allows.
    Some of the kids clubs in campsites don't actually start til July for the peak season, but worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Would you consider a french campsite (mobile home). I dont know how hotels work for a family, but you can get a 3 bedroom mobile home, air con, self catering. We went to France the last 2 years with kids and it was great. Great supermarkets, just chillin at breakfast, lunch and eve times, throwing something on the bbq, wear what you want. In hotels, are you dealing with lifts and stairs, dressing half respectfully to go to eat? Whereas at the mobile, ant can lie on and the rest of us could be outside (or inside) eating, having cereal or whatever, croissants from the campsite bakery. I'd love to know how it works staying in a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Some people will always try and put you off going on holiday with babies/young kids.

I couldn't disagree more - Maybe they're still longing for clubbing in Ibiza or lads holidays....

Going on holiday somewhere pleasant, interesting, warm and sunny with a 2 and a 4 year old offers you a great to opportunity to relax and spend time off work enjoying their charming company.

Just research and plan around the practicalities etc.

Camping in France might suit as the car can be loaded up with their kit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement