Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upset by work colleague.

Options
  • 19-03-2019 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

This will probably sound stupid but I admired a top that a colleague was wearing. She replied that it was an old one and because she has lost weight it was too big on her and did I want it. She then asked me what size I was. I just sort of fobbed her off.
    Now I'm a little bit overweight for my height, stomach problems and an underactive thyroid over the past 2 1/2 yrs have increased my weight but not excessively. I'm a size 14 which I don't think is massive. I'm veering between really upset and boiling mad over what she said.
    I did have a very poor relationship with food in my younger years and I was very underweight. She also comments on peoples food at break and is always drawing attention to what she's eating compared to others.Say for example, if someone is eating chocolate or a dessert, she'll say how nice it is or looks and when someone says she should get one, she'll pat her stomach and say she couldn't.
    I don't know, the bit of weight I've put on doesn't bother me as it's not a permanent thing.
    I just think that she was out of line with what she said and I don't know whether to say something to her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

What did she say?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Think of it positively as a kind gesture with no hidden meaning .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Op it does kinda sound like you have an issue with it yourself. If its as you described, it sounds like she was being nice.....but we dont know the full context admittedly.

Id forget about it, doesnt sound any way vindictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 binana

I don't think she meant it maliciously. Her behaviour seems a bit oblivious/insensitive but I doubt she was trying to make a dig at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Apologies Op im not following I think. Is it just the gesture of her offering the top that has you upset or did she pass remarks on your weight/size?
    If its the gesture I think perhaps your over reacting and maby a bit sensitive around your weight gain. Whilst its incredibly unprofessional to offer a colleague an item of clothing id take it as well intended kindness and just not make an remarks on her clothes yourself in future.
    Its hardly going to arise again as a problem if you just dont mention her outfit. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Maby she didn't know what to say when you passed remarks on her clothes its a two way street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

OP it doesn't sound like she meant anything by it. You said you liked her top and she offered to give it to you because it doesn't fit her properly anymore. It's natural to ask what size you are in that situation (to figure out if it might fit you).

There's no way she could know about your past problems with food. I think you're being hypersensitive because of your previous issues with food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

bertsmom wrote: »
    What did she say?

That the top was too big for her and the OP could have it because it looked like it could fit her.

It's a comment that could definitely be taken as insensitive but I'd try and forget about it OP. It might be a case that she didn't mean anything bad by it and if she did, then don't let it phase you. You'll always come across people like that.

• Administrators Posts: 13,768 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

She sounds like a food bore. There's nothing worse than someone who goes on and on about what they can and can't eat. I think she didn't mean her comment as a dig at you. But because she offered you a top that no longer fits her due to her weight loss, that made you immediately think she was saying you were fat.

If imagine she didnt even consider that. To be honest, she's too obsessed with herself to pay much attention to you at all. Someone who limits themselves and what they eat to the extent she seems to be doing rarely notice others.

You are clearly sensitive about your weight. She's sensitive about hers. Neither of you are sensitive to each others so there's no hidden meaning in anything that might be said.

All I’ll say is that if ahe’s actuqlly eating healthily and benefiting from it and is getting ‘results’, don’t be so quick to dismiss what she might have to say, just because you don’t like it.

We don’t eat very well these days and it’s about time we stopped making people who do out to be some sort of villain/offender or ‘food bore’. She may well have good intentions and a solid point to make. No matter the reason, overweight (and more than that...) are sometimes prone to taking offense instead of taking the point and doing something with it.

You may well have some clear-cut reasons for a temporary weight gain, and best wishes for an improvement in your health in relation to those factors, but try to be open minded about the intentions of folk around you when they comment about how they ‘couldn’t’ have dessert/chocolate/cake. It’s about them more often than not, so don’t take it as a dig at you. What they’re saying is quite true. You can accept that or react to it, positively or negatively. Try doing it in that order if you can.

The time may well come when you’re ‘better’, shed some of the weight you put on and adopt the same approach as your co-worker, being disciplined and open about what/why/when/how often you have a ‘treat’. In that case, wouldn’t you feel better getting a ‘well done you, fair play, you’re right to look after yourself and you’re doing great’ type reply, rather than having people get the hump with you because they mistake your pride in doing well for bitching at them?

Benefit of the doubt, she sounds decent, as do you. Best wishes to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If I was going to insult someone, I wouldn’t be doing it by offering them the clothes I was wearing.

She was trying to be nice.

It’s understandable if you are conscious of your weight that you will always hear things with an unfair bias but try to take a step back and look at it objectively.

You said she often compliments yer desserts so the first thing ye say is “have one”, it’s kind of the same thing isn’t it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

I knew as I wrote the OP that I wasn't putting it across well. Difficult to convey in writing. But it wouldn't be the first time that she has passed a comment on my weight/size, and she has also commented on other personal things about other people. We would as a group have spoken about these. She would also be aware that I've had and have health issues which have contributed. I don't have a bad diet, I exercise, and as I've said I'm currently size 14 which I don't think is big anyway.
    My point I suppose was that I think it's insensitive to refer to anyone's weight, be they over or under, as it can lead to feelings like this.
    But anyway, I think it's one of those "you had to be there" moments, so I'm asking for the thread to be closed. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

You should accept the shirt, take it home. Shrink the hell out of it in the dryer then give it back and say it was too big after all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement