Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Month in Colombia

Options
  • 07-02-2019 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, looking for some advice on an itinerary, myself and the future Mrs G&R and planning a month for our honeymoon in Colombia next Dec/Jan.
    Outline of a plan is fly into Bogota, spend 10 days between there and Medellín, taking in Solanto, El Peñon de Guatape, adventure stuff in San Gil.
    Then fly to Cartegena and send two and a half weeks that side of the country, taking in the lost trek, Playa Blanca, Santa Marta, Parque Tayrona.
    Fly home from Cartagena.

Does that sound like a reasonable itinerary? Have we split the days correctly between the two stops? Anywhere we’re missing out on?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wicorthered

I loved Colombia. Spent a 3 weeks there 4 years ago. We went from Bogota-Cartegena-Santa Marta-Medellin-Bogota.

I wouldn't spend more than a night or two in Bogota, nothing there really. Medellin is really cool, very lively and some great tours. Cartegena is savage. One of my favorite places in the world. Give the town itself 3-4 days, then just chill about in the old town.

Colombia is a brilliant country

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Bogota great for going out. I loved it there. Zone Roja and I think street 92 were good spots few years back. BBC (Bogota Brewing Company) was good place to start the night. Weekends seemed to start on a Wednesday night. Tons of good restaurants too around Zona Roja. Was safe - but mainly because of lots of security which tells you something. South of Bogota is a valley, they grow coffee - was nice. Taxis were cheap and had a unique metering system - but as with everywhere, can be dodgy.

Actual city centre (La Candelaria) is nice, few things to see but can be bit iffy at night. Good hostel there with Lizard in its name. You have to go to a place about 40 min drive outside Bogota called Andres Carne de Res. Go at about 5pm, have dinner, and watch the place turn into a dance club - great craic.

Medellin is OK - I liked it but less than Bogota. Botero museum is good and there is plenty of Escobar stuff to see. Good nightclubs etc.

Parque Tayrona is class. Wild and beautiful. Places to camp too. That lost trail I looked into but didn't have time - sounded well worth it. Think we were warned to be careful at the time of FARC etc in the hills. Santa Marta was ok but didn't have much to see/do - it was a stopping off point for us only really.

Cartagena is OK - but I was finished with it after a day. Nice streets etc, but didn't fall in love with it. Pretty dodge outside old city walls. Is popular and maybe it was just me but I wouldn't spend more than day or so there.

If you like to party - Cali sounded amazing but didn't make it there.

Your itinerary sounds fine - build in flexibility as you'll hear about things you might want to do and always good to be able to change the plan and have an adventure. It's a great country, lovely people.

If you don't speak Spanish you have time to learn some basics - will help your trip.

If I think of anything else I'll post it

Advertisement