Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind speeds with a lake boat

Options
  • 16-03-2019 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

What are peoples views on wind speeds on a lake boat?
    When is it too dangerous to go out?

Had a couple of days last year where we drove two hours with a boat only to come off the water after 20 minutes.

Drove 1.5 hours this morning and it looks rough so we are not going to even take the boat off the trailor.

Would be fishing some of the bigger lakes on a 17ft sheelin with 15hp 4 stroke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

What are peoples views on wind speeds on a lake boat?
    When is it too dangerous to go out?

Had a couple of days last year where we drove two hours with a boat only to come off the water after 20 minutes.

Drove 1.5 hours this morning and it looks rough so we are not going to even take the boat off the trailor.

Would be fishing some of the bigger lakes on a 17ft sheelin with 15hp 4 stroke

Sounds like you need a lake buddy or help from someone in a local marina/baitstore to advise you on the local conditions . Lakes can be trecherous and though mostly innocous compared to the sea where you have tides and sea swell to take into account you really should be taking care.

Do you check the sea forecast before you plan -met.ie or on the appropriate vhf channel? Do you check if there is a small craft warning out?Do you check the forecast wind and direction & speed for your area? For the place you intend to fish motor/be is there a current/affect from wind coming off the land / races or other factors you have to take into account etc. There is a lot that can affect your safety & if you're new to it or not clear rather than dissappointing yourself and your crew maybe joing a local group that might be able to assess your and your boats abilities/restrictions and advise on an as needs basis. Your engine type, draft, boat design leeway etc & course planned etc will all have a big impact on what you can and should not plan.

You did know there was a wind alert and national weather emergency declared when you set out this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 claff1978

Check met.ie for inland lakes forecast they do ree derg corrib mask I think.I usually find force 4 or up you can forget about it. Force 3 to 4 I might chance it depending on wind direction as I know where I can get shelter.local knowledge as well always helps so if you know someone local you can give a ring to before you leave

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

https://www.windfinder.com/?utm_source=www.windfinder.com&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=redirect#7/53.4652/-8.2397

Click one of the circled numbers and select a station close to where you want.

Pay attention to wind direction also, there can be a big difference between the side of the lake the wind is blowing from shore to the side it is coming across the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onelastcast

Sounds like you need a lake buddy or help from someone in a local marina/baitstore to advise you on the local conditions . Lakes can be trecherous and though mostly innocous compared to the sea where you have tides and sea swell to take into account you really should be taking care.

Do you check the sea forecast before you plan -met.ie or on the appropriate vhf channel? Do you check if there is a small craft warning out?Do you check the forecast wind and direction & speed for your area? For the place you intend to fish motor/be is there a current/affect from wind coming off the land / races or other factors you have to take into account etc. There is a lot that can affect your safety & if you're new to it or not clear rather than dissappointing yourself and your crew maybe joing a local group that might be able to assess your and your boats abilities/restrictions and advise on an as needs basis. Your engine type, draft, boat design leeway etc & course planned etc will all have a big impact on what you can and should not plan.

You did know there was a wind alert and national weather emergency declared when you set out this morning?

thanks for the reply. Yes we knew there was alert in place. I had been following the weather on a number of different sites/apps and picked this part of lake thinking it might have been not have slightly more sheltered than some of the other parts of the lake i fish. But even at that it seemed like when i got to the lake wind speeds were much greater thank that predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

You definitely need local knowledge if you're going to hop around lakes and not focus on one for a while. Weather apps are no use. No consistency and they don't have the level of detail to deal with a decent sized lake, most of which have their own weather. You could try the IFI on the day. They're usually helpful enough if they have someone out and about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement