Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

34 year old first time driver. Insurance tips/suggestions?

Options
  • 05-03-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Just passed my test. 34 year old male.

My first quote on a 1.4 toyota petrol for city driving 4000 km - 7000km a year was 3500 euro.

Is there any insurance firms that specialize in low rates for first time drivers? Does the fact that Im not a young driver assist me at all?

Any general tips for bringing it down other than adding a driver to the policy and storing car in a safer area etc?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

boxymo.ie

They hooked me up for less then a grand on a 05 fiesta, with 8000 Miles a year.

they put a tracking box in your car, and get weekly txt's telling you how you do.

Get a high score every month, they grant you more mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

OP, how many more quotes have you got? Or is it just the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

No claims bonus is required for cheaper insurance and you haven't earned any yet, You need to bite the bullet and earn a year or two and the price will come way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

OP, how many more quotes have you got? Or is it just the one?

This!!!
    Call as many insurance companies as you can. Try some brokers too. I used a broker for my first insurance when i was about 25 and they beat all the quotes i got direct from the companies by a few hundred quid.
    Add an experienced driver(spouse or Parent) to your policy as a named driver. Could bring down the price at no real risk to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm in a very similar boat. 35 and just getting my license now. First quote for a 2008 Audi, with a discount from the GUI, is still €3000. I figured it was going to be expensive, so i may just have to bite the bullet and take it.
    boxymo.ie

They hooked me up for less then a grand on a 05 fiesta, with 8000 Miles a year.

they put a tracking box in your car, and get weekly txt's telling you how you do.

Get a high score every month, they grant you more mileage
    Might look into this. Would be nice to not get absolutely ripped off in my first year, and then switch to a regular insurer after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I started driving at 31 3 years ago. On a 1.4 I payed €3500 my first year, the next year I shopped around and got €2,400 and last year I shopped around again and it dropped to €1,200.

I does come down with NCB as it builds up and depends where you live too. I changed to my wife's address from my own and it went up €200 so I put it back to mine. It's parked up in either 50:50. I'd class my own address higher risk than hers but the insurance company see otherwise. My car is 12 years old this year too and having a newer car helps lower insurance costs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Does the engine size change the price of insurance that much? The car i think i will be getting is my uncle's, an Audi A3 1.9 tdi with low mileage. But if that would end up costing me more in insurance, i could probably find something smaller that would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ldnboy87

This just shows how much of a rip off insurance is in Ireland. I just bought my first car over here in the UK at the age of 31 (license held for 4 years).

I paid £900 on a 3.3l Lexus RX400h fully comp with a London address (insurance is generally higher in London). 10,000 miles per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Kiith wrote: »
    Does the engine size change the price of insurance that much? The car i think i will be getting is my uncle's, an Audi A3 1.9 tdi with low mileage. But if that would end up costing me more in insurance, i could probably find something smaller that would do the job.

From my experience as a new driver, a diesel will be about 10% more than a petrol to insure. It's not noticeable for most people, but it is when you are paying thousands.

My first insurance at 23 Y/O on a learners permit was 3600. This fell to 1600 the second year (also got a full license in this time).

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

I live in a town in Leinster well away from Dublin. When i first started driving 8 years ago when i was 25 i think on a Small 1.4 Golf hatchback. I paid about 1100 for insurance.
    The online quotes i got and over the phone for the top insurers were absurd. I went through a broker which beat any other quote i got out of the water. After i passed the test during that year the insurance dropped to about 850.

Has insurance prices really increased that much in 8 years for new drivers if so its absolutely ridiculous. I don't use that broker any more but they are very helpful and i always go to them for a quote and they are usually competitive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement