Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nurse Strike - Forced Annual Leave

Options
  • 23-01-2019 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

My nurse friend who is not a member of a union says his boss told him he would have to take forced annual leave during the proposed strike. Is this true? Surely the hospital can't force you to waste your precious annual leave because some of your colleagues decide to go on strike?

Yes I know if there is a pay increase, it will apply to everyone but how can you just force someone to waste their holidays like that? He didn't ask for a strike. Surely it can't be legal.

Anybody know any better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Sugarloaf12345

Your friend may be forced to take annual leave if he/she has a substantial amount of hours built up as HSE nurses annual leave year starts the 1st if April so if they dont use their annual leave before then they will loose it. May be nothing to do with the strike just a coincidence. As he is not an INMO member he doesnt have to strike so maybe this is the best week for him to go to reduce his hours. Its not something to get excited about if you ask me his manager is actually being considerate some managers let you lose your hours

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The line manager is facilitating a fudge. If the line manager wanted to take a hard line, he would not allow the employee to take leave - so the employee is faced with either passing the picket, or taking unpaid leave.

Advertisement