Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 5th Year Study Log

Options
  • 19-03-2019 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm an external student currently preparing to sit the following subjects at higher level in 2020:

Irish
    English
    Maths
    French
    Applied Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Japanese

I'm currently focusing on the sciences, each of which I have restarted from scratch. I'm going to keep a progress tab on each of them as I'm hoping to finish the courses by June and sit the papers as they come out. An ambitious task, I admit, but I may as well reach for the stars...

I'm also working on Japanese because it's the only subject I actually take a class in.

Going to try and keep this updated every day in an attempt to motivate myself to study more. Feel free to chat! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tristan_

General comments
    Aiming to get one chapter of each of the three sciences covered each day, alongside general progress with Applied Maths and Japanese.
    Didn't get any Physics or Japanese done today as my part time job got in the way and I was exhausted.

Today I studied
    Biology: The Scientific Method and Characteristics of Life (Read chapters, wrote notes and made quizzes on a site to test myself)
    Chemistry: The Periodic Table (Same as above - have done this chapter before but wanting to start from scratch to avoid loss of memory)
    Physics:N/A
    Applied Maths: Moving Wedges (This was going well up to now but today I couldn't get any of them to work out which was frustrating. All the other areas of Connected Particles have been fine though).
    Japanese:N/A

Progress Tracking
    Biology: 2/42 chapters completed (4.5% done)
    Chemistry: 1/31 chapters completed (3% done)
    Physics: 0/33 chapters completed (0% done)
    Applied Maths: 1.5/10 chapters completed (15% done)
    Japanese: 2/12 chapters completed (17% done)

General Comments
    Typically the day I made this log and resolved to update it daily was succeeded by the two most hectic days thus far of the endeavour - multiple medical appointments, working overtime and various other distractions resulted in my getting a lot less done than I'd have liked. Nonetheless, it's onwards and upwards. This entry counts for both the 20th and the 21st

Today I studied
    Biology: Nutrition and Food (Read chapter, wrote notes and made quiz on a site to test myself)
    Chemistry: Atomic Structure (same as above)
    Physics: Speed, Displacement and Time (Read through theory, practiced revision questions and exam questions)
    Applied Maths: N/A
    Japanese: Chapter 3 (read through it, revised vocabulary and Kanji on a quiz site, memorised the particles introduced in the chapter)

Progress Tracking:
    Biology: 3/42 chapters completed (6.8% done)
    Chemistry: 2/31 chapters completed (6% done)
    Physics: 1/33 chapters completed (3% done)
    Japanese: 3/12 chapters completed (25% done)

General Comments
    Another very busy day aside from study but I still got a fair amount done. I decided to do a quick bit of recap from my studying of the last few days which helped but also took away from my allotted time to studying new material. I have continued to neglect Applied Maths for the third day running, need to get back to it but I have already covered close to the entire course (much unlike the other subjects) in light detail so it is not as urgent. Unfortunately I'm still not quite on track with the work as I'd like to be so I'm going to be cracking down next week (I don't expect a huge surge of improvement during the coming weekend). Anyway, I'm glad for the work I did get done.

Today I studied
    Biology: Ecology (Read about half the chapter, taking notes and creating a quiz as I went)
    Chemistry: Radioactivity (Reread chapter, revised notes, quizzed myself)
    Physics: Acceleration (Revised old notes, took past paper questions)
    Applied Maths: N/A
    Japanese: Homework worksheets

Progress Tracking
    Biology: 3.5/42 chapters completed (8.3% done)
    Chemistry: 3/31 chapters completed (9.7% done)
    Physics: 2/33 chapters completed (6% done)
    Japanese: 3/12 chapters completed (25% done)

General Comments
    Hit a huge mental block with study for the last few days, but as of today I think I'm back on track. This post counts retroactively for the full time since the last post, which is kinda shameful because I really got very little done considering the circumstances. Very glad to have all of Ecology out of the way though because it was doing my head in and I think it contributed more than it should have to my lack of progress during the last few days.

Today I studied
    Biology: Ecology, Higher Level Ecology, Study of an Ecosystem (Studied chapters, took notes, created quizzes)
    Physics: Vectors and Scalars, Force Mass Momentum (Studied chapters, took past paper questions)
    Japanese: Chapter 4 Vocab and Kanji (Put them on a quiz site and tested myself)

Progress Tracking
    Biology: 6/42 chapters completed (14% done)
    Chemistry: 3/31 chapters completed (9.7% done)
    Physics: 4/33 chapters completed (12% done)
    Japanese: 4/12 chapters completed (33% done)

General Comments
    Again, counts for the last few days. This could become a running theme here, I'm not really sure. Unhappy with my progress, really vital that I crack down more from here on in. The pressure is building.

Today I studied
    Biology: Cell Structure, Cell Diversity
    Chemistry: Acids & Bases, Volumetric Analysis
    Physics: Work, Energy, Power
    Applied Maths: Still nothing lol what am I doing
    Japanese: Homework Worksheets

Progress Tracking
    Biology: 8/42 chapters completed (19% done)
    Chemistry: 5/31 chapters completed (16% done)
    Physics: 5/33 chapters completed (15% done)

• Advertisement

General Comments
    Decent day. Have implemented a new schedule which seems to work well, although it was compromised today by an evening disruption which was out of my control. Despite this, I achieved a fair amount

Today I studied
    Biology: Enzymes
    Chemistry: Electronic Configuration and Trends
    Physics: Revised everything I've covered thus far
    Applied Maths: Connected Particles Exam Qs
    Japanese: Homework worksheets

Progress Tracking
    Biology: 9/42 chapters completed (21% done)
    Chemistry: 6/31 chapters completed (19% done)

General Comments
    On paper, not a massively productive day but I'm really pleased with what I got done. Grasped some new concepts and revised some old info which is now solidified in my head. So I'm not disappointed at all.

Today I studied
    Biology: Enzymes (advanced) and energy carriers
    Chemistry: Oxidation and Reduction (the bulk of the chapter)
    Japanese: Revised all previous chapters and did more worksheets

Progress Tracking
    Biology: 10/42 chapters completed (24% done)
    Chemistry: 6.5/31 chapters completed (20% done)

Have been in bed ill the last few days, resulting in a complete hiatus from work. Fairly confident I'll be well enough to recommence tomorrow. I've decided to start using the weekends as 'overflow' days, where I complete any work I intended but failed to do during the week. I think this should help to alleviate stress. Things very often get in the way of study and it's mostly beyond my control.

Onwards and upwards!

Thinking I'd be better by monday proved to be a very overoptimistic presumption. I've been ill all week. However I've been feeling fine this evening and actually covered some Physics. So I think I can resume as normal tomorrow!

General Comments
    Forgot to update this last night. Got a decent amount done today though.

Today I studied
    Biology: Photosynthesis
    Physics: Geometrical Optics and Reflection
    Applied Maths: Impacts and Collisions (theory)
    Japanese: Revision of vocab

Progress Tracking
    Biology: 11/42 chapters completed (26% done)
    Chemistry: 6.5/31 chapters completed (20% done)
    Physics: 7/33 chapters completed (21% done)
    Japanese: 4/12 chapters completed (25% done)

• Advertisement

So, I started this log in order to try and motivate myself, but if anything it's kind of done the opposite. I'm going to stop using it for the time being, and might return at some point in the future.

Advertisement