Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qs re: CAO selection

Options
  • 11-03-2019 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

For example in UL the minimum is 55 and there are 140 places. If 200 people apply for UL and get 55 or more then how do they select the 140? are places allocated to those with the highest gamsat score first or is it a lottery selection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

They take the top scoring applicant and work their way down through all 140.
    When they're full, they stop taking candidates.
    If the lowest scoring candidate has the same as other ones, then they decide who on that level gets in by random selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Donaldhastrul

For example in UL the minimum is 55 and there are 140 places. If 200 people apply for UL and get 55 or more then how do they select the 140? are places allocated to those with the highest gamsat score first or is it a lottery selection?

My friend had 55 and didnt get into UL, he asked the admissions and they said there was over 170 people who applied with 55* and and about 80 people who had 56*+ upwards so they all got selected first and then the 170 must've been random selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 galwaypharmer

On the graduate entry document issued by CAO, they said 54 was the lowest score that allowed entry in 2018- Would this not be UL? Also see on careers portal for the course, it says 54 for final round.....

On the graduate entry document issued by CAO, they said 54 was the lowest score that allowed entry in 2018- Would this not be UL? Also see on careers portal for the course, it says 54 for final round.....

54* is way too low though. You dont deserve a place if you get that

• Registered Users Posts: 27 esme95

That is your subjective opinion. I am pretty sure the person got in fairly and so they deserve their place.

• Advertisement

That's not how that process works at all. And is one of the reasons why people mess up their CAO choices in general all the time.

The points to get into a course are the LOWEST score that the last accepted applicant has who has fulfilled all entry requirements. It doesn't matter what that score is whatsoever - the 3rd level institute itself will determine if a candidate is good enough to progress through, they don't care about these scores once you're in the door.

(For reference, there are some courses at undergraduate level who don't have any CAO points listed as all applicants were accepted - supply was greater than demand).

No, not even close to what I said.

As above, the points that are required to get in are the points of the last applicant to get accepted.

So they take the highest applicant and then work down.

Just for reference (as it seems to be deleted?).
    This post:
    RoamingDoc wrote: »
    No, not even close to what I said.

As above, the points that are required to get in are the points of the last applicant to get accepted.

So they take the highest applicant and then work down.

was a reponse to this question:
    Huh? So you're telling me someone with a higher score than the next guy who has a lower score will get in under the colleges determining?

I'm pretty sure the colleges cannot refuse you if you have a score higher than the rest of the people around you...."

Just don't want people to think I'm talking to myself.

Just for reference (as it seems to be deleted?).
    This post:

was a reponse to this question:

Just don't want people to think I'm talking to myself.

Why did you delete my comment? I reported your account...

Why did you delete my comment? I reported your account...

Not really how boards.ie works but ok.....

I didn't delete anything. That wouldn't be possible for me.

• Advertisement

Not really how boards.ie works but ok.....

I didn't delete anything. That wouldn't be possible for me.

Hmmm so you know everything dont ya

Hmmm so you know everything dont ya

Well perhaps a little more about how this site works if you think I deleted posts if yours.

Advertisement