Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to axe The Simpsons.

Options
  • 22-05-2017 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

While i was once an avid watcher of The Simpsons, but it is now well past its best and gone stale, the fact that it has been running for 28 seasons with Fox in talks of another seasonal renewal which would take it up to 30 seasons, shows the huge success it's been but it has dragged on to long by this stage and needs to be axed now before it continues to deteriorate even further.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

"Who knows what adventures they'll have between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable?"

Guess what the key word here is...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,877 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Im 50/50 on it

It has gone stale and timelines etc are all over the shop but I grew up watching it avidly, I have all the DVD box sets (gutted when they decided to stop producing them at season 17) and have memories of epic Simpson's moments.

All things have too come to an end sometime and maybe it's time for the Simpson's but it's going to be a very very sad day for me when the last scene ends

Maybe ageing the characters permanently/losing/bringing in characters might work

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

It did hit a point there few years ago where it was getting fairly bad but i have to see last season or two haven't been that bad at all!!

I keep up to date with them i have every single episode and i do watch all the animated stuff the day after there shown on American tv and when you compare The Simpsons to say Family guy i know which one id rather get rid of!!

Really the main thing im finding stale in The Simpsons of late is the whole Marge and Homer marriage troubles thing. Its on on going theme threw most episodes now.

Next season, it'll air its 636th episode - and thus overtake Gunsmoke as the longest-running scripted prime-time TV series in terms of episodes.

Some may consider that a travesty...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The Simpsons should have been axed 15 years ago and ended on a high. It's unforgivable what they've done to the show and that they've willingly hurt its legacy. The right thing would be to pull the plug now and end the show with some grace, but money talks unfortunately.

• Advertisement

It may take Matt Greoing to die/retire for something serious too happen but does he have much input nowadays??

If there is one thing that Al Jean should never, ever be forgiven for, it's keeping Homer a jerk to some extent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭SGSM

I used to love the Simpsons but I nearly turn them over now if I see it on due to the likely fact it's past season 8 and it's just going to most likely be a poor episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Why 'axe'? Leave it run for folks who enjoy it. Folks that don't can watch/do any number of other things for the 20 minutes or so that its on. I stopped watching it over ten years ago. The fact that it's still on doesn't impact me in the slightest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

endacl wrote: »
    Why 'axe'? Leave it run for folks who enjoy it. Folks that don't can watch/do any number of other things for the 20 minutes or so that its on. I stopped watching it over ten years ago. The fact that it's still on doesn't impact me in the slightest.

Well said.

I don't like many of the newer ones but every so often there is a decent one that makes it worthwhile for me. If the axers had had their way we never would have got Chalmskin

• Advertisement

I think we should have a poll here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

The Simpsons should have been axed 15 years ago and ended on a high. It's unforgivable what they've done to the show and that they've willingly hurt its legacy. The right thing would be to pull the plug now and end the show with some grace, but money talks unfortunately.

My thoughts exactly its gone way past its sell by date, at its peak it was undoubtedly a brilliant show, but as time as gone on it's been getting worse and worse, the plotlines have gone stale the characters have gone stale, time to put it out of it's misery once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Wouldn't be surprised if it ran to one thousand episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Well said.

I don't like many of the newer ones but every so often there is a decent one that makes it worthwhile for me. If the axers  had had their way we never would have got Chalmskin
    I also liked The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind, Holidays of Future Passed, Brick Like Me, etc.  I also enjoyed the recent season's episodes.

Also, The Simpsons looks like the top-rated cartoon on Fox.  http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/fox-tv-show-2016-2017-season-ratings/

would ageing the characters help eg have teenage bart and lisa, a 5 year old maggie ???

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭cyrils foxpit

Next season, it'll air its 636th episode - and thus overtake Gunsmoke as the longest-running scripted prime-time TV series in terms of episodes.

Some may consider that a travesty...

wow, I remember seeing the 300th episode which tony hawk featured in thinking this show has run its course and now its on 636...Simpsons up to late 90s / early 2000s was one of the greatest shows ever but has been an also ran since then !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Stopped watching it religiously after season 9 or 10 and altogether about 3 years later. I still see a few mins every now and again channel hopping and give it a 2 or 3 min look before not laughing and moving on.

It is disheartening to think that there are more bad seasons now than good seasons but, y'know what, I solve my problem with disliking the newer Simpsons in a very simple and effective way: I don't watch them.

The only thing that's sneaky is, - I don't know which station it is, but sometimes they put the classic credit sequence over new episodes.

feel so happy they decided to start releasing full season dvds again, picked up season 18 for Xmas. been collecting them for years

The latest episode was pretty new age

Turns out Granpa may be gay ??

https://tv.avclub.com/the-simpsons-finds-the-sweet-spot-as-grampa-confronts-a-1831532338

Please let it become unprofitable. PLEASE. :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

I've enjoyed some of the episodes over the last two seasons but I hate that they've downgraded Apu's role and they're too many LBGT episodes recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Went downhill after Season 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Advertisement