Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Events 2019

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think if it was on for longer we'd end up with the usual mass-produced rubbish on sale. One of the criticisms of previous market attempts in Dublin was that they didn't have enough small Irish businesses trading at them. The smaller businesses can't afford to rent a space for that long so we always ended up with overcooked burgers and people selling crap from Aliexpress. The line up for this one looks pretty good so I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

That's Henry St alright :pac:

They had a few people selling their products in The George on Saturday (I think it's a regular thing, not just for xmas). They were also in Stephen's Green on Sunday.
    Managed to get a few bits there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Tried to go to the Christmas market in Dublin Castle but left after 15 mins. Way too packed and so over priced. 25 yard queue for a drink. Can't even see what some of the stalls are selling or wonder around because its so wedged with so many people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh dear. Was this yesterday you were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭gandalfio

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Tried to go to the Christmas market in Dublin Castle but left after 15 mins. Way too packed and so over priced. 25 yard queue for a drink. Can't even see what some of the stalls are selling or wonder around because its so wedged with so many people.

Is this people's general experience? Was hoping to go next Friday.
    Can anyone recommend an alternative that has a nice festive feel but without thronging crowds?

• Advertisement

I'm going to go tomorrow, and hope that a weekday before people have finished work (and during school time) makes it more bearable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

Posy wrote: »
    I'm going to go tomorrow, and hope that a weekday before people have finished work (and during school time) makes it more bearable!

That's our plan too ;)

I went on Thursday and Friday night and it was busy but not uncomfortable. Really enjoyed the atmosphere. We grabbed a burger within a couple of minutes after work on Thursday (so before 6) and the queue for booze was grand at that time too. It was definitely busier on Friday night though. If you need to get away from the crowds the state apartments are worth a visit. Didn’t see anything worth buying but that’s down to personal taste. We were on the way somewhere else both nights and weren’t relying on the market for food or drink so that’s obviously going to affect my opinion of it. If you can make it in at lunchtime it’s less busy but you miss out on a lot of the atmosphere I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭gandalfio

I went on Thursday and Friday night and it was busy but not uncomfortable. Really enjoyed the atmosphere. We grabbed a burger within a couple of minutes after work on Thursday (so before 6) and the queue for booze was grand at that time too. It was definitely busier on Friday night though. If you need to get away from the crowds the state apartments are worth a visit. Didn’t see anything worth buying but that’s down to personal taste. We were on the way somewhere else both nights and weren’t relying on the market for food or drink so that’s obviously going to affect my opinion of it. If you can make it in at lunchtime it’s less busy but you miss out on a lot of the atmosphere I think.

Is it child friendly and are there things for them to do? Not interested in having a drink tbh.

gandalfio wrote: »
    Is it child friendly and are there things for them to do? Not interested in having a drink tbh.

There’s a carousel which was great fun and there’s a crib if that’s your thing but I don’t think there’s a lot to keep kids entertained for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Hoping to go to Dublin Castle Wednesday or Thursday I’ll take your advice Toto try get there early evening

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Had a great day out in Sandycove yesterday for a Santa Dive, a load of divers got their wet suits or dry suits on and then a Santy suit and hat over it and went for a scuba dive. They paid to take part and proceeds were going to the RNLI. I never thought of posting about it in here beforehand, doh.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/dublin-santa-scuba-divers-raise-funds-for-rnli-1.4115942

Visited the Dublin Castle market today. It was nice and Christmassy, and the carousel was lovely. It wasn't busy at all, maybe because it was just before 5pm, so still 'work' time.

But it is TINY. Like, you'd walk around the whole thing in 2 minutes! I was surprised and did actually think 'where's the rest of the market?!' :pac:

Advertisement