Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭spurshero

djPSB wrote: »
    Any update on football fixtures for the weekend?
    I presume just milltown Salthill replay this weekend with semis following weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

jr86 wrote: »
    Most certainly I'd say, given ET was played

An extremely embarrassing fixture pile up was avoided in the hurling today with Bridge accounting for Pearses in ET. can anyone tell me the point of those daft senior B play offs? Scrap that, can anyone show me a more farcical format in ireland than one where teams finishing 3rd in senior B groups (17th/18th in overall championship) can actually be in with a chance of making the overall latter stages of the championship?

Was in Pearse today - Spiddal + MB both deserving winners. There'll be plenty of spice to that final!

Sure why wouldnt Spiddal win with 16 on the field when the goal was scored and the c u next Tuesday of a ref doing a job for his western buddies. Total farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Can someone explain to me what sort of gobdaw came up with a system that has Kilconly and Letir Mor back in the same group for relegation playoffs? When Kilconly and Michaels were drawn together then surely the logical thing would be to put the losers of that match in along with Cortoon and Barna?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

spurshero wrote: »
    I presume just milltown Salthill replay this weekend with semis following weekend

Milltown - Salthill replay in Pearse Stadium on Sunday at 3. Hard to understand why it's fixed for Pearse which seems to favour Salthill. Tuam or Corofin would be fairer options. Also hard to understand why it's Sunday. Saturday would seem better as it would give the winners an extra day to prepare for a semi. Mountbellew already have an extra week. I'm sure there must be reasons that I'm not aware but both the venue and time seem strange to me.

spurshero wrote: »

Milltown - Salthill replay in Pearse Stadium on Sunday at 3. Hard to understand why it's fixed for Pearse which seems to favour Salthill. Tuam or Corofin would be fairer options. Also hard to understand why it's Sunday. Saturday would seem better as it would give the winners an extra day to prepare for a semi. Mountbellew already have an extra week. I'm sure there must be reasons that I'm not aware but both the venue and time seem strange to me.
    Defo more sense to play it sat . Give an extra day as well to prepare for semis after two tough games. And the 4 hurling pre quarters finals in sun as well for those of us that follow both codes . No wonder galway gaa Are broke

• Advertisement

Semi finals Sunday week in tuam . Mountbellew v milltown or Salthill at 1.30. Annaghdown v corofin at 3.15

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

Sure why wouldnt Spiddal win with 16 on the field when the goal was scored and the c u next Tuesday of a ref doing a job for his western buddies. Total farce.

CloughCasey1 - The referee doing favours for his western buddies? Sure he is from Clonbur - 20 minutes from Headford!! Over an hour from Spideal? Take your beating.

conamara wrote: »
    CloughCasey1 - The referee doing favours for his western buddies? Sure he is from Clonbur - 20 minutes from Headford!! Over an hour from Spideal? Take your beating.

Better team lost
    5 frees brought in front of goal
    Dissent was for picking up the ball to hand it to their keeper who was wasting time
    Twice for calling how long
    Twice for calling watch the post
    And once for saying how many f**king steps
    One of those moved 30yards
    No advantage when straight through on goal
    Spiddal abused the life out of ref in second half and not one free brought forward
    Line ball leading to the goal kicked on the pitch
    15 Headford men marking their men as same line ball being kicked and as sub runs on and he finishes to the net when there is 16 on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Better team lost
    Dissent was for picking up the ball to hand it to their keeper who was wasting time
    Spiddal abused the life out of ref in second half and not one free brought forward
    15 Headford men marking their men as same line ball being kicked and as sub runs on and he finishes to the net when there is 16 on the field.

ye were hard done by if all that is true.
    rule re shouting at free taker is a rule though. rarely see it enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

Better team lost

If it's the one I think it is from An Fhairche, I definitely have sympathy. Really infuriating individual.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    If it's the one I think it is from An Fhairche, I definitely have sympathy. Really infuriating individual.

I could think of a few more choice words for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Martin Breheny: Logic calls for Galway venue rethink - why spend big on Sportsgrounds when you have Pearse Stadium?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/martin-breheny-logic-calls-for-galway-venue-rethink-why-spend-big-on-sportsgrounds-when-you-have-pearse-stadium-37402981.html

Pretty annoying to see a Galway man write such drivel. Hes poor enough writing about gaa so it's no surprise he knows nothing about Connacht rugby and their whole aim being to stay close to the city centre for the walk-up crowd, access to pubs etc in town immediately after.
    Not to mind the fact that pearse stadium is so backwards with no floodlights due to objections by local residents so not only could Connacht not play these so called big games in salthill after dark, but Galway hurlers as all Ireland champions couldn't play any home league games after dark unlike so many other counties, due to this lack of lighting.
    If breheny wasn't aware of that then he really needs to give up the day job because he's obviously clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Duggan Park has floodlights installed since 2014 why don’t they play there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Why don't they move to castlebar while we're at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Without disrespecting London/Sligo Galway should be looking at a home Connacht Final against Mayo/Roscommon. Route back to the average eights looks a bit more realistic after the draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Are there any set dates for football? Got season tickets for both next year so praying for no same day clashes outside of League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Are there any set dates for football? Got season tickets for both next year so praying for no same day clashes outside of League.

I have both. For League as long as they give the double header only one League round will clash. Championship will never clash as far as I'm aware. For the one that clashes if you want to keep your 100% attendance you can either give to a friend (obviously) or email season ticket giving both card account numbers and will put you down as attending the game you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I have both. For League as long as they give the double header only one League round will clash. Championship will never clash as far as I'm aware. For the one that clashes if you want to keep your 100% attendance you can either give to a friend (obviously) or email season ticket giving both card account numbers and will put you down as attending the game you don't.

That's ideal and thanks for giving the heads up.

Have gotten fantastic use from the season ticket for hurling so far in my two years. It also has gotten me to a few away League games I might have not have had the motivation to head to otherwise and have funnily enough gotten to know a few super people just from being sat beside them for championship games in Croker/Thurles.

Cannot recommend season tickets enough if you can afford it. If you think you'll go to most games or even just home games and latter stages if we're lucky enough to get to the final you're guaranteed a ticket once you make 60% attendance overall. Allegedly there are 3k season tickets sold already this year for hurling in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

New Galway (home) jersey due out shortly too it would appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I got both aswel. Will have to get creative to keep my attendance up with some of the league games on the same weekend but should be ok.

Belter of a draw for the footballers. All going well, a 50/50 game vs Mayo to make the Super 8s, with a qualifier we'll likely be favorites for should we need it. The latter route could even be more advantageous with the Connacht winners due to meet Dublin in the Super 8s I believe. Should allowed him Walsh to tailor things to the latter stages of the year and not have us peaking so early again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I got both aswel. Will have to get creative to keep my attendance up with some of the league games on the same weekend but should be ok.

Belter of a draw for the footballers. All going well, a 50/50 game vs Mayo to make the Super 8s, with a qualifier we'll likely be favorites for should we need it. The latter route could even be more advantageous with the Connacht winners due to meet Dublin in the Super 8s I believe. Should allowed him Walsh to tailor things to the latter stages of the year and not have us peaking so early again

Looking like at least Kildare, Donegal/Tyrone, Cork/Tipp will lose before their Provincial finals so the loser of Connacht final may well have a tough assignment to bounce back. The Rossies (assuming Mayo beat them) and Cavan may not be a pushover at that stage either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

jr86 wrote: »
    Looking like at least Kildare, Donegal/Tyrone, Cork/Tipp will lose before their Provincial finals so the loser of Connacht final may well have a tough assignment to bounce back. The Rossies (assuming Mayo beat them) and Cavan may not be a pushover at that stage either

And we'd be strong favorites for each of those games with the exception of Tyrone/Donegal which would be close to 50/50. No point denying it. Hopefully won't be needed and Mayo at home is definitely a game they should go into with plenty of confidence. But it's an easy draw facilitated by a ridiculous championship that allows someone to beat Sligo to reach the last 12, like Roscommons situation with Leitrim the last 3 years. Will take it, having had to do the hardest route possible last year (similar 2016,2017) but the sooner the provincials are scrapped the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Is it true Davy Glennon has got a transfer from mullagh 2 loughrea next year?

So Caltra are relegated and it looks like Cortoon and Kilconly will join them. I know that one of them will definitely go next time out and it's hard to see either of them being good enough to beat Tuam or Barna.

I'd say Letir Mor are safe after yesterday. Very hard to see Cortoon beating Kilconly by seven even if Savage is available. I'm not sure what the current story is regarding his red card and if it's being appealed or not. By all accounts it was a clear red but since when did that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭westsidestory

grbear wrote: »
    So Caltra are relegated and it looks like Cortoon and Kilconly will join them. I know that one of them will definitely go next time out and it's hard to see either of them being good enough to beat Tuam or Barna.

I'd say Letir Mor are safe after yesterday. Very hard to see Cortoon beating Kilconly by seven even if Savage is available. I'm not sure what the current story is regarding his red card and if it's being appealed or not. By all accounts it was a clear red but since when did that matter?

Thought Savage had retired and had occasion to confirm it as well?

Sad to see. Caltra are in freefall. He did indeed. He got a straight red for striking off the ball and county board are not in the habit of making an example of their refs in appeals so guess it will stand. Was chatting to guy who reffed the junior final in Mayo and he was looking forward to see what the referees panel auditor had in his report for his game. Think would it help improve standards in our games? Glan the first to take the drop to Junior.

grbear wrote: »

As far as I know he retired a while back based on medical advice but got given the all clear earlier this year so was back playing for Cortoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

He must be near fifty

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    He must be near fifty
    41 this year

• Advertisement

I'm looking back at my post about Savages retirement and I'm worried it looks like I was implying he had cancer or something like that. That wasn't my intention at all and I hope no one took it that way.

Advertisement