Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

rondog wrote: »
    Had a bad experience with fondue myself.Me and the crew went to a hotel one night for a fondue night and it wasn't great at all.We were starving and it just wasn't nice.We got out of there quickly and went to pzza Giovanni.Make sure you like fondue before going to it andmake sure you are not hungry

Ah, we're fondue veterans at this stage!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Had a nice dinner in Dorf Stubn one of the nights we were there a couple of years ago. The menu was very Austrian so bit of variety from the norm.

Rew wrote: »
    Dorf Stubn

I think this will be on the list alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Ahh sure look at yiz all, getting in great without me!

Yes to Dorf Stuben, love it! And Martin is the boot man upstairs in Snow & Fun. Status is downstairs for rentals- he's the big Greek in the leather apron, you can't miss him! 😘❤️xx

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

I would also HIGHLY recommend the food in the feldwebel hotel.They do Italian nights etc.
    The food there is fantastic and well priced.

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    Hey FMcG...

A cupla questions.
    I think I may need to get my boots adjusted (MacSki, where I bought them, is now closed :() Would anyone in Soll be worth asking?
    Mountain huts, the cosy kind, pref not self service - any suggestions?
    Nice restaurant in town for our one night out away from Postwirt. We usually take one night off from hotel & go for a fancy pants meal.

You've prob answered this and more in the forums. But I kinda want to perpetuate the chat in my buildup of excitement! :p

Definitely have the schnitzel in the Oberhauseberg, halfway down the blue home run. It's the best around (and table service too 😉

fannymagee wrote: »
    Definitely have the schnitzel in the Oberhauseberg, halfway down the blue home run. It's the best around (and table service too 😉

Great place to see the sunset from as well!

fannymagee wrote: »
    Ahh sure look at yiz all, getting in great without me!

Yes to Dorf Stuben, love it! And Martin is the boot man upstairs in Snow & Fun. Status is downstairs for rentals- he's the big Greek in the leather apron, you can't miss him! 😘❤️xx

I emailed Snow & Fun about booking, but no reply yet (it's been about a week!) should I pop them another mail?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

This day next week I'll be packing for Soll to pop my skiing cherry. Flying on the 21st. Very excited. Also a little nervous.

Anyone any tips for a noob? What to expect on any given day, what the cool things to do are, what lingo should I speak... Any help appreciated :P :D

You will figure it out pretty quickly, its a very nice place full of very nice people. I assume you have a package booked with everything included?

Muscles will be sore and tired but don't give up, listen to the instructor and practice in the afternoons. Get the bubble down to the ground for the first few days at least (if not all week!) the home run gets icy and rutted and isn't a fun ski for someone who has just started. Enjoy the apres but don't fall into the trap of getting so wrecked on your first night that you cant ski the next day! Save it for the last night :-D

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    Get the bubble down to the ground for the first few days at least (if not all week!) the home run gets icy and rutted and isn't a fun ski for someone who has just started.

Great advice here, if you're tired, never do 'one more run'. Always end on a high, things happen when you're tired & don't have full control. And you might have good days and bad days when things just don't *work*, just chalk it off and hit the après early! Ski school will be fun, go with the flow and enjoy!

Any recommendations for best runs in the area? Or best area in the SkiWelt to head to for your favourite skiing? DANKE! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭trashcan

sullivlo wrote: »
    This day next week I'll be packing for Soll to pop my skiing cherry. Flying on the 21st. Very excited. Also a little nervous.

Anyone any tips for a noob? What to expect on any given day, what the cool things to do are, what lingo should I speak... Any help appreciated :P :D

Best holiday ever. You'll have a great time. Get ready to fall over a lot, but as a newbie in ski school (I assume you're doing school ) there shouldn't be anything serious. In my first year it was about day 3 before we got off the nursery slope, but that was fine be me.

If you're in Austria everyone speaks English, so that won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

sullivlo wrote: »

you can pay to store you gear in a the storage areas under the main lift I recomend you do this.

most people speak English

I liked the Run down from hohe salve to hopfgarden (bits of it any way)

as you come out on the main lift hochsoll on your left there is a lift to bring you up the mountain there is a short blue run through the trees 43a that I really enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

Heading back to Soll for 3 days at the end of the month and can't wait!

we're going half board this year so looking for suggestions for the best place to enjoy a nice lunch? is the place with the rotisserie chicken at the top of the blue home run still going?

also - thinking of making a day trip over to Westendorf, is this manageable enough? I'm a little nervous but can handle the reds when I really need to, any advice on getting over that side of the valley?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Quii wrote: »
    Heading back to Soll for 3 days at the end of the month and can't wait!

we're going half board this year so looking for suggestions for the best place to enjoy a nice lunch? is the place with the rotisserie chicken at the top of the blue home run still going?

also - thinking of making a day trip over to Westendorf, is this manageable enough? I'm a little nervous but can handle the reds when I really need to, any advice on getting over that side of the valley?

Yeah StocklAlm still doing lovely chicken. Daytrip to westendorf is very do able. Done it a few times myself. On the way up to westendorf keep an eye out on the run back down it changes a lot and might not be to your fancy on the way down

I emailed Snow & Fun about booking, but no reply yet (it's been about a week!) should I pop them another mail?

Don't worry about booking, just show up!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

We went back to Soll this season after a few years elsewhere and fell back in love with it.It was the first year we actually explored the whole ski welt and found some hidden gems.The snow fell very heavy during our stay so the powder runs were fantastic.We did some excellent off piste from the top of the gondola run at Hoche salve.Savage runs right off the top off the cliff/steep edge.Found some great natural kickers over by brixental.
    Planning Soll again next year for a stags on the slopes.Since some of the lads have new  borns now and wives we are needing more impressive excuses to get away snowboarding.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm just back from Soll. First time skiing and will be back. Will gather my thoughts and post tomorrow!

Okay. I am human again.

We traveled with direct ski/top flight. Arrived into Munich airport. Three hours transfer time due to traffic and border controls.

Had prebooked ski pass, ski school and equipment but was told in snow and fun that it works out cheaper to not prebook equipment.

Booked the locker up by ski school. €9 for the week. There's also one further up at the gondola. Can put skis on at ski school and take the button drag lift up to the gondola.

Stayed in pension feichter gerlinde. Basic but grand.

Ski bus fairly frequent, but only ~5 min walk to ski school/~8 minute to gondola. Gondola takes a good 10 minutes to mid station.

In terms of beginner skiing - I spent lots of time on the nursery slopes. From mid station there are only 5 blue runs. But that was plenty to start with.

I upgraded my pass for the last day to go further afield. Went to the igloo village. It takes in red slopes but I managed them slowly and with only minor falls.

My skiing buddy was a seasoned skier so she spent the days traveling to the different resorts - it's all achievable.

The view from the top of Hohe Salve is spectacular. Visit the toilets at the restaurant. You won't be disappointed.

Toboggans can be rented for €7 for 24 hours and there's a dedicated tobogganing run. Night ski passes are €7 and you can toboggan at night too.

Food wise we ate in a few huts. The one down the hill to the left of the midstation gondola has table service. The umbrella bar is nice for après.

There's a place in town called nannys. It's beside the jam jar. They do unreal food. It's hard to get there for lunch if you're up top but it really is tasty.

The blue home run is grand. Icy in the afternoon. Two steep parts on it. But mainly it's doable.

There's a huge snowman halfway down run 47. Worth a picture.

Main après events: quiz, pub crawl, candle lit walk, night tobogganing.

Great trip all around. Will be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Rain in Soll :eek: :( headin on Saturday. crossing fingers for some snow.

corvus4906 wrote: »

I KNOW :( We're off on Sat too! Can't wait... at least the rain is falling as snow up the top station. I do like a bit of snow in the village though.

I KNOW :( We're off on Sat too! Can't wait... at least the rain is falling as snow up the top station. I do like a bit of snow in the village though.

I don't mind if there's no snow in the village...but isn't the village at the bottom of the slopes ? would be a shame if a lot of those slopes to village are poor.

Hopefully for my beginner other half...the nursery slopes are high up in the pillowy snow at top of the mountain :P

I don't mind if there's no snow in the village...but isn't the village at the bottom of the slopes ? would be a shame if a lot of those slopes to village are poor.

Hopefully for my beginner other half...the nursery slopes are high up in the pillowy snow at top of the mountain :P

It's only the nursery slopes that are at village level.

The two home runs end at village level too. But they're pure ice in the afternoon. The other slopes end at mid station.

Plenty of snow in the village last week, you might get lucky.

The nursery slopes ain't fluffy, but they are snowy and maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

If your other half decides to snowboard they'll never set foot on the nursery slope. Unless they can't be bothered to walk down from the gondola that is.

Forecast looking better for next week! *PHEW* but they do say it's icy in the village, maybe bring a pair of those walkey grippey yokes for yizzers shoes if you have them.

Forecast looking better for next week! *PHEW* but they do say it's icy in the village, maybe bring a pair of those walkey grippey yokes for yizzers shoes if you have them.

fingers crossed.... actually saw them for 1euro per pair the other day....cant remember off hand where i saw them though ... maybe heatons or somewhere like that.

^this

The roads and footpaths are gritted but there were some slippy parts, particularly near hotel Austria and on the road outside Snow and Fun.

There are two ski storage areas. The one down at the ski school is €9 for the week. Downside - you'll have to go down the nursery slope at the end of the day/up the nursery slope at the start of the day. But the gondola is just 200 metres from the ski school. It's all pretty compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

A group of 6 of us are going here at the end of the month and staying in the pension konrad. There's a sauna and something else there. Anyone know if it's a nudie one? Are they all nudie ones over there? I'm going with the girlfriend and her sister and an (non serious)ex from a long time ago, so that could be interesting!

• Advertisement

All Austrian saunas are strictly nude (assuming its not a private one just for you guys).

Advertisement