Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Hi Fanny,

I am heading out to Soll on the 12th March and need a few things like new gloves, and potentially goggles too. Can you shed any light on when the end of season sales will start in the ski shops in resort? I would prefer to get them all out there rather than the limited poor selection available here in Dublin.

Thanks,

Cormac

EDIT: Should say that after many years skiing in France, this is my first trip to Austria! Roll on the 12th - very excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Agh sorry, I haven't been on here in ages!! Did you get sorted Mountain Surfer?!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

fannymagee wrote:
    Agh sorry, I haven't been on here in ages!! Did you get sorted Mountain Surfer?!

Not to worry. Got sorted thanks. Great week overall. Would come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I managed an end of season drop in to Soll last week. Slushy fun trip across to Ellmau and back. Quick spin in the new gondola and spotted Soll replaced a chair with another of those anti-snowboard chairs. I think it's 43. Really off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I managed an end of season drop in to Soll last week. Slushy fun trip across to Ellmau and back. Quick spin in the new gondola and spotted Soll replaced a chair with another of those anti-snowboard chairs. I think it's 43. Really off putting.

What is this anti-snowboard chair you speak of? Google knows nothing of the matter.

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    What is this anti-snowboard chair you speak of? Google knows nothing of the matter.

Sorry Cormee. Took me a while to get back to this.

This is a traditional lift with the foot rest for skiers and snowboarders.

http://www.outsideonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/three-quarter-page-scaled-1x/public/brunn-chairlift-h.jpg?itok=b1Jn4Mga

This is what they now have in Soll in 43.

http://www.skiresort.info/typo3temp/pics/436ccbb506.jpg

The foot rest drops down between the legs for skiers comfort but is **** for boarders. You can see how small the wedge is on the left of that photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭prunudo

Noticed a couple of these new type in Mayrhofen this year too. A right pain in the ass especially if it's a full chair. Think they're on the Ahorn side if I remember.

They're also GREAT fun with a monoski- NOT!

Soll today- WTF?! 😂

fannymagee wrote: »
    Soll today- WTF?! 😂

Crazy stuff. Cats will be sleeping with dogs next. Is the resort still open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Whats the story Fanny, no thread for 16/17? How am I supposed to get all excited about my 2 trips to soll this year if I'm not seeing pics from the mad places you end up with chopper?

Haven't seen Fanny since last season :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

cormee wrote: »
    Haven't seen Fanny since last season :confused:

Don't worry, I'm sure the drought will end soon. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Last post on the website in october. Hope all alright its not like her. May not agree with her choice of favourite ski resort but she brings a lot to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Miss the photos from Soll, would love to see fanny come back. Hope all is well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

stevire wrote: »
    Miss the photos from Soll, would love to see fanny come back. Hope all is well!

YES! FANNY... COME BACK! I messaged her last year and she replied to me (with loads of helpful info!) hope she comes back here too... help me feed my excitement about going to Soll in Feb!

I'M ALIVE!!

Awh Jaysis lads yiz nearly brought a tear to my eye!! All is well with me, and I was very touched by your concern! Apologies to anyone I hadn't responded to, I just haven't been on here in aages! I'm working as a marriage Solemniser here in Ireland these days, so that work is keeping me off the mountains and I'm not spending so much time in lovely Soll any more- and I MISS IT!! So being on here would just compound that feeling. The only answer is to step up the Soll weddings!! Huge love to everyone, I'll make a resolution to pop in here a bit more often (between weddings!) to say hello. And if anyone just got engaged, giz a shout!!

Happy 2017 everyone. Love yiz all 😘❤️xxx

I'M ALIVE!!

Awh Jaysis lads yiz nearly brought a tear to my eye!! All is well with me, and I was very touched by your concern! Apologies to anyone I hadn't responded to, I just haven't been on here in aages! I'm working as a marriage Solemniser here in Ireland these days, so that work is keeping me off the mountains and I'm not spending so much time in lovely Soll any more- and I MISS IT!! So being on here would just compound that feeling. The only answer is to step up the Soll weddings!! Huge love to everyone, I'll make a resolution to pop in here a bit more often (between weddings!) to say hello. And if anyone just got engaged, giz a shout!!

Happy 2017 everyone. Love yiz all 😘❤️xxx

Glad to hear all is going well Fanny. Will hopefully be over next week. I'll give Chopper a big kiss for ya

I'M ALIVE!!

YAY! Good woman! We were just thinking (after going to a few civil marriages) that it's a decent gig to get into, you'd be booked up for years! Hope it's all going well. We're just going to book our rental soon *excited face*. Using all your tips :)

Hey FMcG...

A cupla questions.
    I think I may need to get my boots adjusted (MacSki, where I bought them, is now closed :() Would anyone in Soll be worth asking?
    Mountain huts, the cosy kind, pref not self service - any suggestions?
    Nice restaurant in town for our one night out away from Postwirt. We usually take one night off from hotel & go for a fancy pants meal.

You've prob answered this and more in the forums. But I kinda want to perpetuate the chat in my buildup of excitement! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Never been to Soll and curious about people's opinions on it?

Also what do yee think Snow/Weather would typically be like in the beginning of February (going Feb 4th)
    I know very little about the place or its snow conditions but booked because it was the only option that suited all of our group.

I've previously been to Italy (Livingo), Andorra (Paz & Soldeu), France (Les Arcs, Val Thorens) and Austria (Mayrhofen).... and wondering how Soll compares.

olaola wrote: »
    Hey FMcG...

A cupla questions.
    I think I may need to get my boots adjusted (MacSki, where I bought them, is now closed :() Would anyone in Soll be worth asking?
    Mountain huts, the cosy kind, pref not self service - any suggestions?
    Nice restaurant in town for our one night out away from Postwirt. We usually take one night off from hotel & go for a fancy pants meal.

You've prob answered this and more in the forums. But I kinda want to perpetuate the chat in my buildup of excitement! :p

Hey olaola
    I can probably answer these for ya. Spent a lot of time on Soll recently. For anything boot related Snow and Fun in the Village is the place to go. I've dealt with all the lads in there and they are all really helpful and knowledgable.

Mountain huts
    There are loads of them around. Its usually the larger ones that are self service. My favorite is hut 3 on the piste map. But it is tiny and the food is amazing. Hut 14 does amazing Bacon and Eggs for a quality hangover cure. If you go to either of them you'll understand the theme I like.

As for you fancy pants meal there are a couple of places and all in the village. Auf da Muhle is nice, its a large open plan restaurant with a large menu. Bella Vita is really nice but dont let the name fool you its not very Italian but really good food and nice vibe about the place. And then there is Giovanni's. Its mainly pizza but with a few additional dishes. Really nice atmosphere but can be very difficult to get a table depending on what time you arrive.

There is one other place called the Schulehaus. But I avoid it after a few bad experiences with staff.

Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

istaunton wrote: »
    Hey olaola
    I can probably answer these for ya. Spent a lot of time on Soll recently. For anything boot related Snow and Fun in the Village is the place to go. I've dealt with all the lads in there and they are all really helpful and knowledgable.

Hi can confirm that too there is one guy there that is meant to be a great boot fitter

I was meeting my holiday rep there last year and he offered to lend me better snowboard doots as the ones I had rented in another shop were crap the rep had pretty much had said the same thing to me (they were not great).

so I would go there

Hope it helps

Cheers! Perfect! Thanks a mill :)

corvus4906 wrote: »
    Never been to Soll and curious about people's opinions on it?

Also what do yee think Snow/Weather would typically be like in the beginning of February (going Feb 4th)

We're going on the 4th too! Snowing there at the moment, so hoping it will continue. I think the SkiWelt is so big, there shouldn't be any issues finding snow somewhere...

As for you fancy pants meal there are a couple of places and all in the village.

Sorry, another query from the lads! Is there anywhere that does fondue, or something a little different? Thanks!

Sorry, another query from the lads! Is there anywhere that does fondue, or something a little different? Thanks!

I had fondue in Hotel Mödlinger one year. It did not go down well with the group after a day on the mountain. We needed to eat quickly.

I think they do them in Dorf Stubn. Also a nice restaurant that I didnt mention it earlier as it will be very similar to the Post

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

Had a bad experience with fondue myself.Me and the crew went to a hotel one night for a fondue night and it wasn't great at all.We were starving and it just wasn't nice.We got out of there quickly and went to pzza Giovanni.Make sure you like fondue before going to it andmake sure you are not hungry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

have friends in Soll at the moment and the conditions are fantastic.We are going on Thursday,cant wait.
    Just hope I can get rid of this virus before then :-(

Advertisement