Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any snowsports in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

You can do full GS style turns in powder, all you need is bigger skis! The big mountain skis are monsters, having tested a few, your talking 110cm+ under foot, these guys will pretty much stay on top of any snow depth and go really fast, if you watch any of the Alaska movies, they are all riding big boards.

Here's a real extreme from Volkl, the Kuro, dimensions in mms 164-132-139

Kuro-0910-B.jpg

Now you don't need anything this size but it's very different to the dimensions of a piste ski like this 118-66-101mm

Racetiger-SL-0910-B.jpg

A freestyle ski is a good compromise, not too wide on piste for manageability but will float well on powder also.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Agreed, Calibos you should defo give the powder a go. Next ski trip, make sure you get someone to take you into some fresh powder and give it a go. Persistence is a major part of it. It sounds like your skiing level is good enough to make the transition.

Regarding skis, the wider ones are better for powder for sure. However I was skiing on ten year old 204cm straight skis on Saturday. It took a few turns to get used to them again. I wouldn't have taken new skis up there for fear of damaging them, but none of us even touched a rock there was so much snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Regarding skis, the wider ones are better for powder for sure. However I was skiing on ten year old 204cm straight skis on Saturday. It took a few turns to get used to them again. I wouldn't have taken new skis up there for fear of damaging them, but none of us even touched a rock there was so much snow.

Wow!! Weren't striahgt skiis out ten years back. My Xscreams are that old I think. But by God I love my X-screams!!!!!!! :D

Sunday in Kiltiernan, some fun and falls! Some of the boarders made a great kicker on the golf course, might have melted now though :(

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

First falls I had doing 180s, rails are normally my nemisis! It was the end of the day and my legs were feeling it, that's my story anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Pity Kiltiernan isnt a bit higher cause the wicklow mtns are still getting a dumping of snow today. It will take a fair while before it all 4-5ft of it fully melts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tonka

i think it was about 300m vertical drop over a distance of about 3-4km.

On sunday i humped my gear up to Slieve Martin(this near killed me) in the Mournes and skiied from there to the Kilbroney park cafe in Rostrevor. This was along footpaths via Cloughmor stone. It was mainly about 2 inch of snow on top of ice which i dont think was good for the skis edges. The steepest section was between Cloughmor stone and the carpark. I had made a little kicker on a rock in the track. The road from the carpark to the cafe is tarmacced but had been closed so it had a good 2-3inch snow on it and been two lane in places i got a bit of carving in. The south facing slopes up here melt their snow cover a lot quicker than the north facing slopes.

It would take a 4wd to drive it but there is a dirtroad up to near the summit of Slieve martin.

i have since discovered the 22euro Gelert rucksac i bought a few months ago has ski straps and can take me boots too!!!

even though it has been raining the last 2 days at sealevel in carlingford lough.i see there is a snow filled bowel up on the cooley mountains that i might tackle tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Curvedcoast

Pity Kiltiernan isnt a bit higher cause the wicklow mtns are still getting a dumping of snow today. It will take a fair while before it all 4-5ft of it fully melts.

Anyone up there last night? Thinking of a little floodlit session if there's still snow on the "piste"

If anyone is higher up the dublin/Wicklow mountains today or in the next few days give me feedback, I would be interested to know is there still powder about or is it just wet snow now?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

a147pro wrote: »
    looks class, I'd say it was serious for the post xmas fitness trekking back up too

To be honest I quite enjoyed the hiking up. There is great sense of satisfaction in it. There certainly wouldn't be the same satisfaction if there was the option of a ski lift, snowmobile or car to drive you back to top of the hill.
    The experience has reaffirmed my desire to get into ski touring. You get to go places very few others do.
    Has anyone done any ski touring? I'd be interested to hear some recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Anyone up there last night? Thinking of a little floodlit session if there's still snow on the "piste"

Was up there sunday and tuesday night gone. Just arrived before the guards 'completely' closed the roads up. They were only letting 4WD up then stopped everything until a plow came. Ended up parking on the road outside the entrance as the little hill to the car park was a nightmare to get up.

Snow was pelting down although it was a bit slushy but great craic all the same... Only 1 instructor made it up and took a mixed class. Fair play to the staff up there for keeping it going despite the protests from the guards. Went up for a B1 expecting rain when I left the house, and managed to get a nice practice session in on lovely soft white stuff! :D

...if only the snow gods would grace us with even just a few weeks of these conditions every winter... :(

• Advertisement

Poster King, if you up for a trip to the mountains this weekend I wouldn't mind joining up, my other half isn't that keen on long hikes but I have no problem hiking. I should be available Fri-Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Great conditions last night Snow was a little heavier and wetter than it has been but there was Moguls by the end of the night :eek:

The Volunteers that run the place have done a great job over the past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Outsidethebox

I wouldn't mind hitting the mountains either lads. If there's anyone going up saturday?

Fattes fair play to the volunteers, they looked flat out at the weekend

Outsidethebox I should have the car Saturday so could give you a lift, thinking of heading for Luggala as suggested above, I'll confirm plans tomorrow, a boards Wicklow snow trip could be good!

Dead on Sarsfield. What time do people plan on heading up? I'll be coming from Tipperary so will have an early start.....

Was up for a look today snow too wet to do anything it's waterlogged snow! and will be worse tomorrow as more rain tonight, will need colder weather again as this warm damp air is eating the snow, so will have to cancel tomorrow need to wait until snow gets drier

Sound, keep us updated.

Guys was up there tonight and there is nothing left :mad: We can only hope it comes back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

30 years maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Presumably Fattes is talking about the snow on Mount Kilternan and not Luggula :D

• Advertisement

Mount Kiltiernan is not exactly snowsure! Still lots of snow higher up but it's very wet, looking at weather forecast maybe a freeze up high overnight so could be better tomorrow but road floods are now also a problem. On Stocking Lane a drain full of melt water was blocked and flowing down the road making it a stream.

Calibos Talking about all of wicklow the rain was everywhere last night including Lug and will make the snow very difficult and heavy to ski on.

Plus the rain will wash away allot of the snow.

Went for a drive today to assess the situation, the Wicklow Gap was open so parked at carpark and hiked up tonelagee. There has been a lot of snow loss but still enough cover to ski, it was colder than last few days overnight so snow fairly firm although softer on return. Cover best on north faces and on the western side of Wicklow mtns. Looking north from tonelagee still good cover on most of these inner mtns.

A lovely bluebird day today, wonderful to be in the mountains.

Some photos

On Tonelagee in the Wicklow Gap on Sunday, still very skiable
    20747_257468879316_584929316_3357879_462253_n.jpg

Friday, Military Road, Dublin Mountains
    20747_257468859316_584929316_3357877_5561190_n.jpg

Theres still a decent amount there on sunday alright, but will it last till next weekend? At least its not +12C today.

Still deep snow in places. Saw some areas that would have been about 800m long near kippure mountain.

This is a drift on the military road in dublin mtns.
    4302076696_4844db4ea5_b.jpg

Was in Tallaght for a meeting this morning and could see Kippure, surprisingly there appears to be decent cover still on the mountain, I am going to go up with skis either tomorrow or Saturday for a closer look as temps are below freezing at the moment at that altitude I reckon it's going to be hard snow but as long as there's enough cover I don't mind. Probably as much snow as there have Vancouver at the moment!

Anyone else see any decent snow patches in the Wicklow mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Was in Tallaght for a meeting this morning and could see Kippure, surprisingly there appears to be decent cover still on the mountain, I am going to go up with skis either tomorrow or Saturday for a closer look as temps are below freezing at the moment at that altitude I reckon it's going to be hard snow but as long as there's enough cover I don't mind. Probably as much snow as there have Vancouver at the moment!

Anyone else see any decent snow patches in the Wicklow mountains?

I was on tonelagee yesterday and had a good view of the surrounding mountains. I saw Kippure and you might be able to get a few short runs but to be honest it looks thin enough. The only mountain with good lying snow was Lugnaquilla - and thats a mighty walk with skis!

If you were on Tonlagee you'd have seen the south face of Kippure, from Tallaght I can see the north face it looks better although won't really know about cover until I get closer. Was there any snow around Tonelagee and the Wicklow Gap? Is there much on Lughnaquilla?

Thinking of hiking up the road to Kippure, it'll be good exercise if nothing else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Only alittle snow on Tonelagee - nothing you could ski/board on. Wicklow Gap and the surrounding hills is snow free now. Lug still has a good covering from approx 700m-summit.

You might aswell go up to Kippure- sure if there is not enough snow- there are great views! From the looks of it, you might get a short run in which is better than nothing!

Advertisement