Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

York university, Toronto

Options
  • 20-12-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has gone to this university. If so whats their experience and what about living in Toronto. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 amandakola

I'm not studying at work, but I have been living in TO since the end of June and will be there until next June [although home for Christmas at the moment!]
    Toronto is a great city, easy to get around, lovely people, lots to do. Not sure what you're into, but there's usually always something I want to go to, whether it be a band or art exhibition or whatever. Is pretty expensive though, considering minimum wage is only around $8. Even though I've a degree, I just spent the past six months working in a clothes store, on $10 an hour, and while I was never stuck, I certainly never saved much and didn't buy much either!
    Rent can be pretty reasonable, and entertainment/drinking can be cheap enough too, but things like groceries and public transport really threw me off.. i just try to walk everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

cool thanx,

Would other canadian provinces be the same money wise? I hear Canada is the most promising employment wise or is that just self advertising! I'm hoping to move near London , Ontario and have no special interests just the usual cinema, concerts, few drinks but no party animal like!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 amandakola

I havn't been to London myself, but I hear it's quite the college town so I'm sure there is fun to be had! I would imagine the cost of living is higher in a major city like Toronto than London so you'll probably be a bit better off than I am! Not sure about the employment thing, probably better than back home is at the moment anyway. Currently looking myself, but not really putting in the effort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 terradactalxo

Hi there!
    My Dad is from London, Ont and I myself am a born-and-bred Torontonian.
    London is a nice city, lot's of houses and at a decent price also, whereas Toronto prices can be astronomical :eek: but it is boring - there's so little to do in London. My Dad could not wait to get out of there. I have friends over there that just feel trapped sometimes. I think they find it can be a very claustrophobic place.
    But there are good points to everything:
    -It is a very pretty city, as I've already mentioned, lovely walkabouts
    -Lots of housing
    -Very focused on education and healthcare
    -Advantage of being not too close, but now too far from Toronto
    -University of Western Ontario is a great institution. My Dad goes on and on about what a great place it is.

Good luck with your choices! xo

Advertisement