Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in the UK

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey everyone,

I'm in my final year of a computer science degree and I've applied to do a 1 year masters at Imperial College in London. I haven't got the place yet, but assuming I do, what are my choices regarding grants and/or scholarships?

I've combed through this page: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/registry/finance/scholarships/pg_schol but I don't really fit into any of these. They all seem to be aimed at candidates who are British or from a developing country.

I'm not too sure how these things work, but maybe there are grants I could apply for in this country to study abroad for the year. I'm really in the dark about it at the moment. Where should I start my hunt for funds?

Thankuu!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Are you with an nui? Have a look at www.nui.ie for possible grants. Also there is a GB and NI board here you might want to have a look there to see if there are any stickies wrt grants and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lola4ever

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I'm not with NUI, I'm doing my undergrad at TCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That's part of the nui system I'm nearly sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Unfortunately the short answer is there really isn't too much funding about in the UK for Masters programmes in general. There is no formalised grants system (outside of the research bodies etc.) and no formalised loans system (unlike UK undergrad). Your best bet are bursaries/scholarships from the college, which seem a bit thin on the ground. Maybe contact the specific department or course director and see if they can help you out, there might be some less publicised stuff that's department-specific.

I had to turn down a place at LSE because I couldn't afford it. :rolleyes:

Advertisement