Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullied A Boy At School

Options
  • 22-11-2019 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Myself and a group of friends gave a boy a bit of a hard time in secondary school. It was a long time ago now, am in my early forties, but was listening to something on radio about a guy who called to the house of someone who he bullied to apologize for his behavior. He lives abroad now but I know that he comes home every Christmas. I'd like to catch up with him and just make sure that he was okay with it. He was a loner in school and wasn't sporty, he was an easy target for us.

Some of the things we did to him were cruel when I think back on it now. We threw him into a dustbin, constantly used his coat to wipe up the floor, threw his bags and books out the windows, beat him up a few times, told everyone that he was gay, had a few nicknames for him. We basically tried to isolate him. I just want to know if it had any effect on him and to say sorry if it did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Maybe a message that asks something simple like how is everything going for him. If the conversation flows from that, and you go on to meet in person, then it could be appropriate to say some words about school.

It completely depends on the person. I just wouldn't be too forward about wanting to show you are sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

hawley wrote: »
    Myself and a group of friends gave a boy a bit of a hard time in secondary school. It was a long time ago now, am in my early forties, but was listening to something on radio about a guy who called to the house of someone who he bullied to apologize for his behavior. He lives abroad now but I know that he comes home every Christmas. I'd like to catch up with him and just make sure that he was okay with it. He was a loner in school and wasn't sporty, he was an easy target for us.

Some of the things we did to him were cruel when I think back on it now. We threw him into a dustbin, constantly used his coat to wipe up the floor, threw his bags and books out the windows, beat him up a few times, told everyone that he was gay, had a few nicknames for him. We basically tried to isolate him. I just want to know if it had any effect on him and to say sorry if it did.

Nice idea, but I'd say leave sleeping dogs lie.
    If you do say it to him, make sure it's genuine and make sure it's in private and you are on your own, don't outnumber him.
    He might knock lumps out of you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

It's none of your business if it had any affect on you. You are thinking about yourself rather than him.

If you are determined to contact him I'd apologise for being a dick and leave it at that. You dont deserve anything else from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Is this apology for his sake or for yours though?

Dragging up those horrific memories may be the last thing he needs to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭hawley

zapper55 wrote: »
    It's none of your business if it had any affect on you. You are thinking about yourself rather than him.

If you are determined to contact him I'd apologise for being a dick and leave it at that. You dont deserve anything else from him.

I do feel guilty about it, so that is true. He is living in America now and we don't cross paths too often. I still see his parents in town and ask after him. They don't know about bullying. I'd just like to make him feel better about it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Yeah it isn't appropriate for you to ask what kind of effect, if any, it had on his life.
    If you were as nasty as you say you were to him he won't want anything to do with you and won't entertain it anyway.

I would sent him a message on social media, saying something along the lines of:

Hi ___,

I know I'm probably the last person you'd expect to hear from, but I wanted to get something off my chest.
    I've been reflecting on my childhood lately and feel a lot of regret & embarrassment over how I treated you. I was nasty and cruel and you didn't deserve to be bullied by me.
    I want to sincerely apologise for any hurt or upset I may have caused you. I'm truly sorry for what I have done.
    I don't expect a reply to this message but I wish you all the best for the future.

Hawley

That message conveys your regret without being overly intrusive or expecting too much of the recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Realistically that kind of bullying must have had a negative effect on him. All you can do is apologise now, I bet he would be glad to have you apologise and it might be quite helpful to him.

Maybe get the guy’s number and call him OP? Probably your best option if he is in the States and it’d be less tense than meeting him face to face at Christmas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Yeah it isn't appropriate for you to ask what kind of effect, if any, it had on his life.
    If you were as nasty as you say you were to him he won't want anything to do with you and won't entertain it anyway.

I would sent him a message on social media, saying something along the lines of:

Hi ___,

I know I'm probably the last person you'd expect to hear from, but I wanted to get something off my chest.
    I've been reflecting on my childhood lately and feel a lot of regret & embarrassment over how I treated you. I was nasty and cruel and you didn't deserve to be bullied by me.
    I want to sincerely apologise for any hurt or upset I may have caused you. I'm truly sorry for what I have done.
    I don't expect a reply to this message but I wish you all the best for the future.

Hawley

That message conveys your regret without being overly intrusive or expecting too much of the recipient.

100% the above.

I was picked on in school and while I wouldn't particularly want contact from any of those lads, if I was sent something like the above I could appreciate where they were coming from and would say okay and bury the hatchet - because people grow up, and life is too short. Any response though would be for their sake entirely, I'd get little from it.

If they were to approach me in person or call me I wouldn't like that in the slightest. It puts the person on the spot and they have to come up with a response there and then and that's not right.

If you do anything, send the above message via email or something. Otherwise leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

zapper55 wrote: »

Great post.
    Say sorry but don’t ask about effects. In fact asking him that **** now would make you as bad now as you were back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭heretochat

As someone who was mercilessly bullied at school, with the treatment including but not limited to what you did to this chap, I would suggest stay away from him. I doubt he cares a jot whether you are sorry for what you did to him or not. An apology would not mean a thing to him at this point in his life and you would only be doing it to make yourself feel better.

And I doubt his parents would engage with you either if they knew what you had done.

Bullying can have life long detrimental effects on a person, believe me I know. I would never engage with any of those who tormented me and would have no interest in an apology.

wiggle16 wrote: »
    100% the above.

I was picked on in school and while I wouldn't particularly want contact from any of those lads, if I was sent something like the above I could appreciate where they were coming from and would say okay and bury the hatchet - because people grow up, and life is too short. Any response though would be for their sake entirely, I'd get little from it.

If they were to approach me in person or call me I wouldn't like that in the slightest. It puts the person on the spot and they have to come up with a response there and then and that's not right.

If you do anything, send the above message via email or something. Otherwise leave it.

Thanks, I might send a card to his home at Christmas. Part of the reason behind it was the homophobia that was present in Catholic schools and in society at the time. I know that he's a bit annoyed by it because my friend is a friend of his brother. I know that he reported us to the principal too. I'll apologize for all the stuff that went on. If I don't hear from him that's fine, I just want to clear my conscience over it all. I know he wasn't very popular in school but he has had a good life since then. It hasn't stopped him from getting a good job and he seems to have a good social life on Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

When you were bullying him, it was more about you than him.

Any attempt at any apology now, will also be more about you than him.

It's kind of egotistical to think that he needs your apology or that it will benefit him in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭heretochat

I just want to clear my conscience over it all.

As I thought - more for your own benefit than his. Leave him alone. As you said he has had a good life despite the torment you and the other bullies subjected him to so leave him be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Unless he wants to meet with you I would not go near it op.

Victims of bullying mature very fast, your victim has been free of your crap for over 20 years now. He will have forgotten most of it, for real.

You are only curing your own conscience. Grow a pair and get on with it. Everyone does stupid shít in our teenage years that we all regret. You are a different person now, bringing it up again will potentially stress him out and wreck his head. He is home for Christmas to visit his family and loved ones, you should not be interfering with that.

It is highly likely that his parents have told him they met you in the street and that you ask for him. He has more than likely explained to them exactly what he thinks of you and why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

a close family member who experienced bullying would, i lnow, not be willing or interested in an apology from their tormentor.

i feel your wanting to apologise to this man is for your benefit.

the best revenge is living well and i think this man has lived up to that.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Unless he wants to meet with you I would not go near it op.

Victims of bullying mature very fast, your victim has been free of your crap for over 20 years now. He will have forgotten most of it, for real.

You are only curing your own conscience. Grow a pair and get on with it. Everyone does stupid shít in our teenage years that we all regret. You are a different person now, bringing it up again will potentially stress him out and wreck his head. He is home for Christmas to visit his family and loved ones, you should not be interfering with that.

It is highly likely that his parents have told him they met you in the street and that you ask for him. He has more than likely explained to them exactly what he thinks of you and why.

A lot of it was caused by homophobia. It's not present in society anymore but it was there twenty five years ago. We were as much a victim of it as many others. We were controlled by the church. I don't think it would have happened otherwise. I just want to explain that to him. I was involved in campaigning for marriage equality, I want to let him know that I've changed. If he can accept the apology, it'd be good for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A lot of it was caused by homophobia. It's not present in society anymore but it was there twenty five years ago. We were as much a victim of it as many others. We were controlled by the church. I don't think it would have happened otherwise. I just want to explain that to him. I was involved in campaigning for marriage equality, I want to let him know that I've changed. If he can accept the apology, it'd be good for both of us.

Oh please, don't make yourself a victim. Plenty of us in our 40s grew up in the same society and didn't choose to be bullies.

You had a choice not to be cruel to another person, you had a choice not to partake, you had a choice to stop but you didn't. If you don't want to take full responsibility for this then don't contact him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

With all respect Hawley:

1) You were not a victim of homophobia. You were participating in homophobic bullying.

2) If you apologise to someone it should be unreserved. If you're going to be contacting someone to excuse your behaviour, then no - drop it and don't contact them.

3) I've experienced homophobic bullying and discrimination - if someone approached me trying to make excuses for how they treated me in the past - and to boot, said that it made them a victim of it too - I'd go through them for a shortcut. I'd rather not hear it.

If that's how you feel about it I would strongly encourage you to rethink your approach to the matter, because it indicates that you do not understand the suffering you will have caused this guy when he was a kid or how insulting that statement is. And that applies whether he was gay or not.

A real apology does not need qualification. Leave him alone and find some other way to deal with your feelings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I remember a really camp guy in our year in school. He is 100 % now and I know him well. Every time he would walk into class everyone would screech " weeeeeeeee" and blow whistles etc. He got over it.

You cannot blame the church on your bullying either, no way Jose, that is not a good enough excuse, at all. The church never threw your victim into a bin or wiped the floor with his jacket.....

Victims of bullying will have reconciled your behaviour with them long ago. As I said you need to grow a pair and get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Ringing him is a terrible terrible idea. Your voice could bring him straight back to what sounds like a ****ty time in his life.

Maybe he went to the States to get away from the likes of yourself and start afresh.

Your subsequent responses are very arrogant. You havent considered at all how he might feel hearing from you now. I was in that guys shoes, though to a lesser degree and I wouldn't want to hear from those losers now.

Leave him be. And live with the guilty instead of trying to unload your feelings onto him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I'm not sure your apology will be in good faith OP. I think you need to reevaluate your attitude towards this first.

Please be non intrusive to the guy in question. If you want to get it off your conscience then write to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Many (dare I say most) of us here who were teenagers in the 80s attending catholic schools and with devout families succeeded to not bully others including those who were gay amongst us, so I'm sorry but that line doesn't cut it with me and it likely wont with him.

You've turned your life around and good for you. But don't delude yourself into thinking he has any need for concern as to how you've turned out. If you say sorry then do so and leave it at that, but it is for your benefit and your benefit alone. Don't assume that his acceptance of your apology will help him feel in anyway better. He doesn't owe you forgiveness, and its his prerogative to dislike you until the day he leaves this earth. You're not a victim.

You also need to ask yourself how you'll feel if he slams the metaphorical door of in your face and lets rip at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

heretochat wrote: »
    As I thought - more for your own benefit than his. Leave him alone. As you said he has had a good life despite the torment you and the other bullies subjected him to so leave him be

I have to agree with this. Tough sh1t if it's on your conscience, you were the one who did the bullying so you should suffer the guilt. An apology to him now isn't going to do anything for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

The damage is done and that lad probably matured and developed compassion a lot quicker than the lot of you.

I don’t believe that sort of level of bullying and physical assault is “kids will be kids” stuff but it’s good that you feel guilt and shame about it all. Use those feelings to live a value led life now. If you have kids, teach them compassion and kindness, pull them up on bad behaviours in as impactful a way as possible. Practice kindness every day with everyone you meet. Give to charity. Look out for the vulnerable in society.

I know people who are still dealing with the repercussions of childhood bullying decades later and the last thing in the world they’d want is contact from the source of all of those painful memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

The guy was better off without you back in school and he’s probably better off without your selfish apology now.

Leave him be and own the fact you were a prick in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Slightly uncomfortable to read a thread where people have a go at someone sincerely expressing remorse and regret for past actions and the effect those actions undoubtedly had on another person.

I’ll leave it at that.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/200207/the-power-apology

There are genuine benefits to receiving an apology, there really is no doubt about that, even one long overdue.
    Fair play to you if you do apologise OP. One thing Id say to you is don’t assume you’ll feel better afterwards, he may tell you things that make you uncomfortable. If he does you should accept it and not defend what ye did, even though ye were quite young. He’ surely entitled to be frank with you.
    Hopefully he did get over it quite soon after it happened anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

endacl wrote: »
    Slightly uncomfortable to read a thread where people have a go at someone sincerely expressing remorse and regret for past actions and the effect those actions undoubtedly had on another person.

I’ll leave it at that.

Most of us are questioning the sincerity, that's why.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Bro the regret and guilt is the price that you have to pay for what you done, and remembering it should make you feel the way you do.

It’s something that you will have to live with, just like the guy you bullied. You want to ease that feeling instead you need to live with it, I’m sure it’s not something you do anymore and just get on with your life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement