Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda reserve medical

Options
  • 11-05-2017 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi what all do they check for in the medical , and how fit would you need to be to pass .

thanks in advance for the answers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

Hi Hawker Hurricane,you do need a certain level of fitness,but not to the level of fulltime,as you don't have to do the circuit or push/pull for the Reserves.I can assure you,I'm not the fittest person on the block,but the role i perform in a voluntary capacity,means i need a certain level of fitness,but I'm no athlete.I passed the Reserve medical back in 2015,but Training was cancelled so have to redo it now again,whenever that will be.On the day of my medical,you are directed at the gate,to where the medicals are being performed.You go to the window and are given a paper to fill in.Can't remember all the questions on it,but there's not many,but it will ask for your doctors phone number,so if you remember to have that noted somewhere or on your phone even.If you hadn't time to get any medical documents in,have them with you.Firstly,the nurse calls you in.You are given a plastic container and have to provide a urine sample.Obviously not right there in front of the nurse,lol.I think she does a quick test on it for diabetes or whatever,not 100% sure on that.She will take you bloodpressure,do a lung capacity test(Blow into a small tube,which has a slider on it.The harder you can blow,the further the slider will go).She checks you height and weight.Your BMI must be 30 or below.You then go into a booth and put on headphones,for your hearing test.My advise is,breath very lightly and concentrate alot for the bleeps.Once you've completed all that,your sent upstairs to a waiting room,where you will then see the Doctor.You'll be asked to look into a machine,which checks your eyesight.Then you'll be asked to tell what the numbers are on a colour blindness chart.Maybe 4 or 5 slides.You then have to do a touch your toes,while the doctor looks on.You then get up on the bed,where she checks your abdomen for any issues.You then sit down and he/she goes through your medical report,and if you've done well,then you are told you've passed or not.Before you leave,you go back to the window downstairs,and inform them of your result,and if you've passed,they will give you an idea of a training date,if they have it,or will say that they will be in contact in due course.Hope that all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hawker hurricane

Thank you donman for the information :)

No Probs.Good luck in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crusher82

Can you not join if you're a type 2 diabetic? ??

Hi Chrusher82,I'm not able to answer that myself,but maybe someone on here has been through the process with that,and could answer your question.You could also ring HR,who could give you the correct answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

Hi,

Im 20 year old male and thinking of going for the gardai, I have a small varicose vein on my right thigh, it is quite minor and not very obvious,will this affect me from getting in? Thanks in advance

daniel1390 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im 20 year old male and thinking of going for the gardai, I have a small varicose vein on my right thigh, it is quite minor and not very obvious,will this affect me from getting in? Thanks in advance

Honestly I don't think it will be a major issue by the way you describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

donman wrote: »
    Honestly I don't think it will be a major issue by the way you describe it.

I dont think ot would.. They usually go by serious to moderate cases ...but even so if its small just get it removed at the time of applying

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

daniel1390 wrote: »
    Hi,

I dont think it would be an issue going by what you said...usually they look at moderate to high cases where its al over the leg.. You could always get it removed before you apply

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Anyone else for the medical next week

• Advertisement
Advertisement