Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rowan Croft the gran torino

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Odhinn wrote: »
    ...who contribute to the economy by spending their income. Do you not understand this?

They should be paying tax.

They are not contributing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Blueshoe wrote: »

Why should they be being paying tax when they satisfy such conditions that exempt them? Because you don't like it?

They are, rather obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Forrachmore

And this single payment you can live off for

Not long go some way to your ticket home, the vast majority of migrants especially the ones who come looking to live off benifits easily bypass the above mentioned rule make no mistake this people are well clued up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's the same tired old argument from public sector unions.

They get paid by us yet some how they want private sector workers to believe that in some magical way they are net contributors to the country by spending the money we give them and getting taxed on it!

Not long go some way to your ticket home, the vast majority of migrants especially the ones who come looking to live off benifits easily bypass the above mentioned rule make no mistake this people are well clued up

So no they can't live off a single payment.

If this was their ticket home you'd think you'd be glad to see the back of them.

By "well clued up" you mean that they can google as well as the next man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The total bill for social protection is 20 billion per year
    And over 1 million employed people pay zero tax.

This needs to change. It's not sustainable.
    We should also be charging multi nationals the advertised rate and vulture funds should not be permitted to buy up large blocks of housing units and also escape paying a rate of tax

What are you on about?

1 million employed people pay no tax?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

And this single payment you can live off for

What evidence have you for this?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,644 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So.people who have worked for 50.years paying tax every week should pay tax on their pensions?

So.people who have worked for 50.years paying tax every week should pay tax on their pensions?

Sigh. No.

There are 1 million people in the current workforce who earn less than 16k per year and therefore pay no income tax.
    They should be contributing something

• Advertisement

Sigh. No.

There are 1 million people in the current workforce who earn less than 16k per year and therefore pay no income tax.

...but they do by means of spending and VAT etc.

Sigh. No.

16k a year wouldn't pay some families rent for a year!

...but they do by means of spending and VAT etc.

Income tax for some but not for others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Sigh. No.

16K a year is barely 350 a week.....i earned less than this as an apprentice and paid tax

16k a year wouldn't pay some families rent for a year!

That's true. Free house on top of no income tax so.
    Hap will cover it.

Good old middle income earners are very generous

• Advertisement

_blaaz wrote: »
    16K a year is barely 350 a week.....i earned less than this as an apprentice and paid tax

He hasn't a bogs notion tbh.

Mate i have my payslips from few years ago

Why would i disbelieve my eyes

So you don't believe me and you don't believe the Irish times

Would you believe it if it came from Leo or the department of revenue?

Income tax begins at a rate of 20% on earnings over €16,501. Then PRSI starts at €18,304.

Based on the above figures, people on the minimum wage who work 40 hours a week would pay some amount of income tax.

So it appears those who don't have to pay the tax are part-time workers.

But some are also self-employed, while couples where there is just one earner pay the same levels of income as single taxpayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

So you don't believe me and you don't believe the Irish times

Would you believe it if it came from Leo or the department of revenue?

Income tax begins at a rate of 20% on earnings over €16,501. Then PRSI starts at €18,304.

Based on the above figures, people on the minimum wage who work 40 hours a week would pay some amount of income tax.

So it appears those who don't have to pay the tax are part-time workers.

But some are also self-employed, while couples where there is just one earner pay the same levels of income as single taxpayers.

Mate i believe my wage slips???i paid tax when on low wages

• Advertisement

Mate i believe my wage slips???i paid tax when on low wages

I'm sure you did. You are a full time worker.

Can you not read when tax rates kick in?

There are 1 million workers who don't contribute to the tax pool while the social welfare bill is increasing year on year. It's not sustainable.
    We are paying more tax now than in 2006.

I'm done on this thread. Iv left enough articles but most are just ignoring them or getting confused.

Laters

That's true. Free house on top of no income tax so.
    Hap will cover it.

Good old middle income earners are very generous

You're right, fùck em right? If they can't afford rent let them sleep on the streets, no money for food? Let them starve!

Nice to see you have empathy for those less off than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Boggles wrote: »
    Rowan is on the dole isn't he?

He was, until a kind and concerned citizen sent a detailed portfolio to both welfare and revenue, including multiple clips of Mr Croft saying 'I'm a professional YouTuber', and links to all of his income streams.

Loose lips sink ships.

If a general election was called within next year how do u think the right wing parties could get a few seats.

I think if they worked together I wnt be surprised if the got 3 or 4 seats

If a general election was called within next year how do u think the right wing parties could get a few seats.

How many did they get in the recent elections? You were boasting earlier that someone got 1% :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He was, until a kind and concerned citizen sent a detailed portfolio to both welfare and revenue, including multiple clips of Mr Croft saying 'I'm a professional YouTuber', and links to all of his income streams.

Loose lips sink ships.

Can't be doing too bad if he is doing Jiu Jitsu either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Gintonious wrote: »
    Can't be doing too bad if he is doing Jiu Jitsu either.

It ain't cheap that's for sure

Nah

They did sh it in the Europeans and locals.

The vast majority of Irish people dont want racist pricks as politicians

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Nah

They did sh it in the Europeans and locals.

The vast majority of Irish people dont want racist pricks as politicians

In fairness I'd class FF as fairly right wing. Like FG they are economically right. They're also pretty authoritarian right in their history.

Like allowing the church to control the state. Eliminating birth rights to the residency in 2004 by propagating a lie that the foreigners are leading to the collapse of the HSE. Sounds fairly right wing to me. They seem to be doing ok unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd be amazed, first the loose rabble that is the "organised" alt-right wouldn't be able to co-operate as they'd all be arguing about their own versions of what they stand for (splitters!).

The previous attempts at standing have all ended in abject failure. What was the name of that Dublin school-teacher from about 8-10 years ago? She was loopy, the likes of Justin Barrett had a far higher public profile than the current band and he came to nothing. He's still out there banging his drum with the Nationalist Party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Eliminating birth rights to the residency in 2004 by propagating a lie that the foreigners are leading to the collapse of the HSE. Sounds fairly right wing to me.

Wait .. don't most countries do this? that commie place the U.S. being an exception.
    I don't think there was any mention of 'collapse' at the time of that vote in Ireland. But there was abuse going on, and a loophole that needed closing. So we did. The amount of foreign mothers giving birth in Dublin maternity hospitals was inordinately high and this was driven by welfare tourism. The people were quite clear in their response but if you'll forgive me I can't recall the exact percentage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭ClintPower

Stop. Stop making up lies about this.

Immigrants do not just come in here and go on welfare and housing lists. They have to satisfy habitual residency. This generally means they have to be living here 2 years before they can access social welfare.

That's a lie.

A really poor lie.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/former-homeless-apollo-house-residents-secure-home-1.3355298

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/ferrybank-housing-reshuffle/

Even if it wasn't a lie, two years is a ridiculously low amount of time to be entitled to welfare.

But it's a lie, so it's irrelevant anyway.

Sigh. No.

Is that true?

Like, that's nearly half the working population!

How do you know these people have never worked?

How do you know they don't have legitmate reasons why they are unemployed?

I've a direct question for you, but I doubt you will answer.

Can you explain how someone in Ireland in 2019 can be legitimately unemployed, at least anyone living in or near an urban area?

We now have lower unemployment than the Celtic Tiger era.

We're in the height of a bigger boom than the CT era.

How, exactly, can one currently be legitimately unemployed?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If anything, we should be helping people with mathematics. Some of the sums in this thread are atrocious.

How many did they get in the recent elections? You were boasting earlier that someone got 1% :pac:

I think each of the parties have some good canditates ok I know you wont be voting for any but could still see potential for a few seats if they worked together

The Np I'd imagine would have a chance of a seat or two around longford leitrim area.

I think Dolorus cahaill is prob the best canditate of them all but irexit stance on EU will ultimately go against her.

Gemma o doherty in Dublin you could not Wright off no matter what you think of her she is a tireless worker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gemma o doherty in Dublin you could not Wright off no matter what you think of her she is a tireless worker.

Posting excrement on Twitter isn't work. It's the exact opposite.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If anything, we should be helping people with mathematics. Some of the sums in this thread are atrocious.

Spelling isn't far behind...

The 3 R's would seem to be Racism, Racism and Racism these days...

Gemma O'Doherty is a retard. It's amazing how utterly identical she is to Ruth Coppinger in all but the left right position. Ignorant, thick, thin skinned, inarticulate, completely similar in all but their left right position.

I voted Herman Kelly as there was nobody else worth voting for but he ran a very poor half arsed campaign.

• Advertisement

In fairness I'd class FF as fairly right wing. Like FG they are economically right. They're also pretty authoritarian right in their history.

Like allowing the church to control the state. Eliminating birth rights to the residency in 2004 by propagating a lie that the foreigners are leading to the collapse of the HSE. Sounds fairly right wing to me. They seem to be doing ok unfortunately.

Yes I agree with everything you said but really that poster was referring to far right fascist type parties like national party, irexit party, anti corruption ireland to some extent renua and direct democracy ireland fit in there too.

Terry Pratchet

Yes I agree with everything you said but really that poster was referring to far right fascist type parties like national party, irexit party, anti corruption ireland to some extent renua and direct democracy ireland fit in there too.

Did you miss my post Joey?

Or did it just not fit with your worldview?
    ClintPower wrote: »
    That's a lie.

A really poor lie.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/former-homeless-apollo-house-residents-secure-home-1.3355298

Even if it wasn't a lie, two years is a ridiculously low amount of time to be entitled to welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

" right wing parties"

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

FF under Michael Martin are every bit as left wing as the Labour Party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I voted Herman Kelly as there was nobody else worth voting for but he ran a very poor half arsed campaign.

Yeah it was just poor campaign management that saw him get less than .7% of the vote.

Oh and the fact he is a complete and utter Fúcktard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's a lie.

A really poor lie.

Where is the mention of social welfare in the first story? They seem to have been relying on charities before they found work.

The second story concerns refugees that we do not allow to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I've a direct question for you, but I doubt you will answer.

Can you explain how someone in Ireland in 2019 can be legitimately unemployed, at least anyone living in or near an urban area?

We now have lower unemployment than the Celtic Tiger era.

We're in the height of a bigger boom than the CT era.

How, exactly, can one currently be legitimately unemployed?

There’s always people who are genuinely too useless to be employed or at least would be unattractive to employers, generational lazy, ex-convicts, Knackers and gouger types etc. 3-5% unemployment is about as good as it gets in 1st world country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Being against more mass immigration to Ireland is in no way racist .

There are enough people in Ireland now for the sate of the infrastructure / housing/ health care system .

It is in no way racist to state this / to have this belief or to politically campaign on this .

We are living in a society that is living a lie . How did this work out with not talking about child abuse in the Catholic Church ( i give this as an example )

Societies living a lie will eventually have un-expected results . Who would have thought that the Catholic Church would end up in the position it is in now !

Where is the mention of social welfare in the first story? They seem to have been relying on charities before they found work.

The second story concerns refugees that we do not allow to work.

Wrong, on both counts.

The Czech couple are on HAP. A pair of eejits in the country 5 minutes are living in a home that the taxpayer is paying somewhere likely in the region of 12 to 15k per annum towards.

That is welfare.

Syrian program refugees are not the same as asylum seekers, they have the same working rights on arrival as anyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

mandrake04 wrote: »
    There’s always people who are genuinely too useless to be employed or at least would be unattractive to employers, generational lazy, ex-convicts, Knackers and gouger types etc. 3-5% unemployment is about as good as it gets in 1st world country.
    There are some people it would cost you more to employ than they would make back . Look at the shower in the Dail .

mandrake04 wrote: »

Absolutely.

But I wouldndn't deem them to be "legitimately unemployed".

Legitimately unemployed is when there is a recession.

A legitimately unemployed person gets up early every day to fire off C.V's and walk around town looking for work.

Illegitimately unemployed people like a chap I know who has been unemployed almost his entire adult life do what he does- sit in the HAP paid gaff smoking joints, playing the playstation and sharing radical left wing communist articles and memes on Facebook, plus having the occasional moan that the DSP is forcing him to go to a Jobpath gig every once in a while.

Given it's 11:50am on a Monday I've no doubt some of these useless ****ers are reading this thread as I type (I'm on a day off myself, before anyone asks haha)

• Advertisement
Advertisement