Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat pump power usage while idle or not heating

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ShanE90

air wrote: »
    Well that's disappointing, can't say I'd be happy to live with that level of background consumption myself to be honest.

Ye a bit alright, I made big changes to make the system work efficiently, more insulation, re plumbed the heating, new manifold, pressurized heating circuit ect, sized up the rads for the HP, new fuse board, dug up the driveway to get the outdoor unit on the garage...a lot of work I didn’t think the standby power would be the stumbling block...anyhow happy otherwise hopefully the other improvements will pay off come winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Well at least you're getting good performance from it. It might be worth enquiring with the manufacturer if there's any improvement to be had via a firmware upgrade or similar. It seems strange to me that a sump heater would run 24/7/365 regardless of ambient temperature etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Hi Just moved into a house with ecodan heat pump. Is a night meter better for these units? Any information appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

pj12332 wrote: »
    Hi Just moved into a house with ecodan heat pump. Is a night meter better for these units? Any information appreciated.

I presume its UFH and not rads.

Some folk here reject the idea of the NRM because of the extra fixed costs and the higher day rate.
    The math is something along the line that if you use over 1/3 of total at night, it breaks even and anything over that is a bonus.
    It depends on you heat pump heating profile really.
    Whats not done usually herein Ireland is install a buffer tank for the UFH which can be heated at night and used during the day.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭eire1

All A2W Heat Pumps have a sterilisation settings in their engineering menus. They have to run for 30-60 minutes once a week to prevent Legionella. It has to hold 65deg for a period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

We have two zones, under ground heating downstairs and rads upstairs. Have started to monitor it now after we got a 300 euro bill for two months.

We turned our themostats down to 18 degrees in both zones as when at 20 the unit is constantly topping up the heat. Wanted to see if 18 was comfortable to live with as temperature in the house rarely drops below 18.5

The first night I started monitoring the night usage the system only used 4kwh. The second night I wake up and 10kwh has been used. Nothing changed on our end. So unless the water heating came on during the night or something I'm confused as to how it went from 4 to 10. Will monitor for a week to see.

In 36 hours we have now used 24kwh. Before last night we had only used 14kwh in 24 hours.

Would drive you mad this would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

pj12332 wrote: »
    We have two zones, under ground heating downstairs and rads upstairs. Have started to monitor it now after we got a 300 euro bill for two months.

Are the bills estimated or did you submit readings to your provider?

Does your heat pump tell you how many kWh it is using each day?

In any case there have been some really cold -4C spells over the last month so you would have used a lot more during that.

Don’t sweat the one or two higher bills. Look at the yearly picture. That’s what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Looking through this thread some units run 7w and others run 275w on standby. The moral of the story must be to check what each use on standby before purchase.

I'd be pig sick if I'd bought an expense heat pump thats going to cost me €100s in energy bills when not in use. Makes no sense.

Whats the life expectancy of these heat pumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nikola.m

Hello, I just install midea heat pump 16kwh (mhc-v16w/d2rn8-b) and just noticed that it is drawing 50w in standby all the time. The electricity consumption in the app and in the control unit is reporting only the electricity spend for active heating.

Does anyone have contacted the manufacturer about this issue or have found an alternative way to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Ecodan user here. Shocked to see a figure of 200+w

I've a Shelly EM on both my indoor and outdoor portion circuit.

Outdoor draws 0w when no call for heat or water.

Indoor draws 20w or so but that circuit also includes the 8 heatmiser thermostats. So very little draw to keep the internal unit and it's controllers powered along with the thermostats around the house.

To be using 200w something is configured (or wired) wrong I'd have thought. A pump wired on instead of switched would be my thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My 5m head circulation pump only uses 30w, so even 200 for a pump is high.

I wonder how it's been measured?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 phil_space

Viessmann user here. My 10 kWh unit uses 20w per hour when on standby, so c. 500w per day / 180 kWh per year.

Advertisement